PDA

View Full Version : Research bugs

fieryspoon
04-25-2011, 05:52 PM
1) You're not required to research lower tier science projects before jumping ahead? I was able to complete Capital Ship Construction without finishing Strike Fleet Construction. I currently have 6 dreadnoughts, but I feel like I'm cheating. On a lark, I tried to see if I could start planet busting research. Turns out I can. I halted the project, since i do not have the economy to sustain that right now, but it definitely doesn't seem correct.

2) I am currently in the process of building an orbital laboratory, but I have not finished planetology research yet. It's about 80% complete.

Leedot
04-25-2011, 06:24 PM
1) Odd... is it actually making progress? I've noticed on my client I can put something in the que that I don't have the requirements for but it doesn't actually start training it. (not that we want that to happen either.)

2) I'm assuming you mean a science station? I think the source of this bug is that there was an orbital laboratory in addition to the science station and it looks like the skill text / requirement check didn't get updated when we pulled the laboratory from the game.

Trom
04-25-2011, 07:49 PM
I was actually wondering about this tech tree myself. I noticed that we don't need to research the lower tier techs before researching any of the top level ones. Hopefully this will be changed that you must have at least rank one of the previous techs before you can research the higher levels. Otherwise you will have players running around with star destroyers withing the first week of the game :)

Tsagoth
04-25-2011, 07:54 PM
Some skills do not have prerequisites. You are supposed to have at least one skill in the tier below the one you want to learn in. If that's not the case then it's a bug.

fieryspoon
04-25-2011, 08:18 PM
I was able to get a tier 1 combat research goal and then skip directly to a tier 3 research goal. I was able to achieve this by starting a tier 2 combat research goal, queuing a tier 3 research goal, then abandoning the tier 2 goal.

I can verify that it finished because I have already produced 6 dreadnoughts without the ability to produce battleships and I don't have the other tier 2 goal researched either.

Tsagoth
04-25-2011, 09:33 PM
I was able to get a tier 1 combat research goal and then skip directly to a tier 3 research goal. I was able to achieve this by starting a tier 2 combat research goal, queuing a tier 3 research goal, then abandoning the tier 2 goal.

Yes, that's a bug. I see that I check if you have a previous tier skill but I don't verify that you actually trained it to rank 1. I'll fix that.

Cheerio
04-25-2011, 10:45 PM
Fix it quick before less honorable players start training high end stuff :p

fieryspoon
04-25-2011, 11:02 PM
Well, someone who doesn't invest in an economy to actually support the high end stuff isn't going to get much mileage by researching planet busting. It's not *that* big of a deal. Each ship seems like it's twice as powerful as the previous one until the super capital ships, but the cost of building one increases at a much faster pace than that. The attack power of one dreadnought is twice that of a battleship, but the cost is like 8 times as much.

Cheerio
04-26-2011, 12:41 AM
well, you don't need the lower end tech to invest in an economy, especially since were starting with the mini harvs
but i agree, its not really that big of a deal.

Leedot
04-26-2011, 01:09 AM
It is a big deal but not because of the early game ramifications. It's a much bigger deal because someone could go full trade tree and then after getting matter transmitters and such they pop out planet busting without having to spend any time researching the lower tiers.