PDA

View Full Version : Latest server build

Tsagoth
05-04-2011, 01:17 PM
A new server build was installed yesterday. This one is based on the new compiler and development environment that we had to quickly put in place after the old one showed that it was not equal to the task.

So far it is looking better. A lot of the random failures and deadlocks no longer appear to be happening.

I did introduce one change. Ships entering orbit now check their standing to other players, and if warranted, a fight will automatically start. I have personally tested this against the Spartan homeworld and it works just fine. :rolleyes:

Cheerio
05-04-2011, 03:29 PM
That's what was happening!
What if they are in fleet form? I've had some trouble starting combat in and out of fleet.

Tsagoth
05-04-2011, 04:33 PM
What if they are in fleet form?

There are still some problems with fleets. Now that I'm done having to reinvent everything, I'm looking into the combat issues.

Spartanius
05-04-2011, 04:50 PM
And after combat issues are sorted we will get a reset? I have pretty much stopped playing for now until we get a reset or combat and lag are completely fixed.

Tsagoth
05-04-2011, 05:08 PM
And after combat issues are sorted we will get a reset? I have pretty much stopped playing for now until we get a reset or combat and lag are completely fixed.

We're tentatively planning to reset Saturday May 7, along with releasing a new client.

ravenzachary
05-04-2011, 08:28 PM
I'm ok with a full reset and a new universe, but I'm not sure how the other players feel. I went down the Combat skills tree and wouldn't mind trying another strategy for a new game.

fieryspoon
05-04-2011, 08:35 PM
I would love a reset.

zarkwizard
05-04-2011, 09:28 PM
There is also another change that we will probably be implementing on the Tutorial game servers. Since people start at different times, and someone could start on the server a week after everyone else home systems will not longer be capturable at all. You will no longer be able to take over the planets in someones home system.

This will allow people freedom to experiment within their home systems safely, and not terminate them from the game a day after they start. We will create a flag for home systems, so you'll be aware when you have located one. Everything else in the universe is free game though.

When the Tutorial servers go live we will probably be implementing a planet cap as well. So you won't be able to just acquire everything within the universe. Game server will not have this same protection. Since everyone starts at the same time everyone will have the same things available to them.

Spartanius
05-05-2011, 05:15 AM
I think GM homeworlds should still be capturable. Especially Tsagoth's :P

Oh and Thr 7th is my birthday so thanks for the present :)

adam__moore
05-05-2011, 07:08 PM
We will create a flag for home systems, so you'll be aware when you have located one. Everything else in the universe is free game though.

Could I possibly suggest something lightweight like a star colour or animation - the spinning pulsar maybe?

adam__moore
05-05-2011, 07:10 PM
When the Tutorial servers go live we will probably be implementing a planet cap as well. So you won't be able to just acquire everything within the universe.

Will there still be win conditions in the tutorial servers? e.g. will the planet cap be approx equal to the conquest win or do tutorial servers just run for a set period and then get reset?

adam__moore
05-05-2011, 07:13 PM
I'm ok with a full reset and a new universe, but I'm not sure how the other players feel.

Yep - a reset would be good - it's great to have an opportunity to try new strategies as Raven says. Will there be any other new features? Trading or artefacts?

zarkwizard
05-05-2011, 07:58 PM
Will there still be win conditions in the tutorial servers? e.g. will the planet cap be approx equal to the conquest win or do tutorial servers just run for a set period and then get reset?

Tutorial servers will be pretty persistent. By putting in the caps it will allow new players to play the game, and people that want to play out all the trees to experiment can do that on the tutorial servers. Since you will be able to acquire all the skill trees on the tutorial servers, but have a planet cap it just means you won't go hog wild destroying new players because you won't have the ability to.

We may implement ship caps as well, so you won't have the full 1000 ship armada's that we have currently. With this in place you should never have someone reaching a win condition. The win conditions will be disabled for the tutorial servers anyhow. They are more like test servers for people to play on, and experiment on, that will be kind of long term.

We aren't saying we'll never reset them. There will be times when it's required to reset them, due to upgrades to the code base and what not. For the most part thought they are meant to be played on to learn things.

Spartanius
05-05-2011, 10:27 PM
Just means you have to fight over the good planet yarr!