PDA

View Full Version : more descriptive research text

fieryspoon
09-13-2011, 07:38 PM
research projects should display the icon for the unlocked ship or orbital, with a more complete description of what it actually does, in the text for the research project itself. Ideally, it would display the entire description that you see when you look at the ship/orbital from the build menu.

Also, the text should be clearer about what the impact really is.
For example:
"Increases worker efficiency by 2% per rank"
should be changed to
"Reduces build times by 2% per rank".
or whatever.

On a related note, what does a science station actually do? Is "Labor" a reference to the old name for rare ore? Or is that build time? Do multiple science stations stack?

Cheerio
09-13-2011, 08:20 PM
expanding this some, I feel like other things could use more description -> like how exactly does trade work / what are the mechanics of it.
I think most of us have a decent handle on combat but a new person wouldn't. it takes a lot of time and effort to put a fleet together now and I'd hate to see someone get discouraged and quit after having their ships blown apart because they didn't get a combat mechanic

fieryspoon
09-13-2011, 09:01 PM
I don't have a decent handle on the mechanics of combat at all :-)
I'd love a grid that shows how much damage mitigation each ship gets versus each other type. something like the grid on this page (bottom of the page) http://classic.battle.net/war3/basics/armorandweapontypes.shtml

Cheerio
09-13-2011, 09:16 PM
well what i really meant was theres probably enough stuff spaced around in all the forum posts that if you went and read all of it you could probably piece it all together :) id definitely love to have a comprehensive post somewhere on all those things

zarkwizard
09-13-2011, 09:24 PM
Docs? You need docs? That's an IAP for $20. (I'm kidding). I'll point LeeDot in the direction of this post and let him mull it over. LeeDot was saying he was going to start piecing some tutorial videos together on the different things, which should help somewhat.

As for ship types vs ship types, I am sure we can put something together so you guys can have a better idea of how it works. No promises on a time frame though. It'll probably be a bit since there are other pressing issues to get done first.

Cheerio
09-13-2011, 10:38 PM
i think this is more of a thing to make sure is around before actual release - i feel like setting it up in a way that its easy for anyone to catch on and not be discouraged/overwhelmed will be vital to making this succeed. it'd be nice to have more than just people who are fans of the genre playing :)

zarkwizard
09-14-2011, 12:06 AM
You mean like their wives or girlfriends (or boyfriends/husbands - nothing against girls playing). We'll make another pass over the text. Part of the issue was these mods were such a huge revamp for everyone. Hence why we require a decent beta group so we can get your thoughts on the game, and what you think would make it easier to play.

There is a lot to the game, especially now with the specialties. It's almost a totally different game from where we were at the beginning of the summer. In fact it probably is.. Other than the graphics.