PDA

View Full Version : New guy here

Kinkaid
09-14-2011, 02:41 AM
Hey guys. New to the forums. I read about this game and saw a video a few months ago. It looks pretty good! I was a fan of the Moo games and space empires. I'm looking forward to playing this one. I like the idea of playing against/ with real people. Hope it comes out soon...it's been a while since I last conquered the galaxy! :)

Spartanius
09-14-2011, 03:08 AM
Welcome!

Are you still into moo? we have an online community that plays moo2 with a new modification that makes the game much more balanced and fun. There are also modifications to the map generator to make the maps much better and balanced. Let me know if you are interested :)

Kinkaid
09-14-2011, 04:15 AM
To be honest it's been years since I last played moo. I could definitely see myself getting into it again. Just need to find my copy of it. Never played it with an online community. My multiplayer experiences came from many long sleepless nights of hotseat games! Recently I scoured the net for signs of a new version or a similar game but nothing compares....until now ;)

Kinkaid
09-16-2011, 06:33 PM
Hey Spartanius

After doing some investigating, I was able to get Moo2 working on my computer, using dosbox. I am definitely interested in the mod and the online community you play with. If you could point me in the right direction, that would be great!

aquariusmediaa
01-18-2012, 08:20 AM
Yes I am agree with you. I am new in this forums and I am also the big fan of this game.

Supamand
01-21-2012, 12:58 AM
Can u guys post a web page to the moo game? I'm having hard time checking it out...

Leedot
01-23-2012, 06:45 PM
This is a link to MOO / MOO2 on GOG.com

http://www.gog.com/en/gamecard/master_of_orion_1_2

Supamand
01-24-2012, 05:15 AM
Oh cool looking game!
Have you guys ever played ascendancy? They actually made an app! Pretty cool solo 4X game

zarkwizard
02-27-2012, 03:32 PM
Oh cool looking game!
Have you guys ever played ascendancy? They actually made an app! Pretty cool solo 4X game

I played it on the iOS platform. It's a pretty slick looking game. I found it hard to get in to on a mobile platform. It's like Civ to me. Let me start by saying, "I LOVE 4x games" (probably one of the reasons I'm working on this one). So now having said that...

I found that games like Ascendancy, and Civ suffered from small screen envy. I could never really get in to them. While I can play them on my 360, or PC for hours, on the mobile platform it just didn't feel like they were designed for the mobile platform. I'm not saying that they were lacking in the design department, (although Civ really left a bad taste on my mouth with the zooming issues... ), they were fantastic reproductions of their respective games. Sadly which were pretty much designed for a PC/Console type environment.

The other thing that disappointed me is the lack of multiplayer. I really love the multiplayer experience, and on mobile devices pretty much any MMO (I'm using the term loosely) that's an RTS is more of a web based experience, and not real game. So it always feel like there is something missing there. That's not including the fact that you pay to win basically. That's pretty much where we come in. We wanted a game that didn't exist. Hopefully people like the outcome. Only time will tell. I certainly know we have ruled out the single player community, but in all honesty that's not what we were really interested in making, and there are better games suited for that, Ascendancy, Civ, Starbase Orion to name a few.

If you ever have any thoughts on what we could do to improve the game we are always open to suggestions. Designing a game experience that is fun for the community is our number one priority.

lordxorn
02-27-2012, 04:35 PM
I played it on the iOS platform. It's a pretty slick looking game. I found it hard to get in to on a mobile platform. It's like Civ to me. Let me start by saying, "I LOVE 4x games" (probably one of the reasons I'm working on this one). So now having said that...

I found that games like Ascendancy, and Civ suffered from small screen envy. I could never really get in to them. While I can play them on my 360, or PC for hours, on the mobile platform it just didn't feel like they were designed for the mobile platform. I'm not saying that they were lacking in the design department, (although Civ really left a bad taste on my mouth with the zooming issues... ), they were fantastic reproductions of their respective games. Sadly which were pretty much designed for a PC/Console type environment.

The other thing that disappointed me is the lack of multiplayer. I really love the multiplayer experience, and on mobile devices pretty much any MMO (I'm using the term loosely) that's an RTS is more of a web based experience, and not real game. So it always feel like there is something missing there. That's not including the fact that you pay to win basically. That's pretty much where we come in. We wanted a game that didn't exist. Hopefully people like the outcome. Only time will tell. I certainly know we have ruled out the single player community, but in all honesty that's not what we were really interested in making, and there are better games suited for that, Ascendancy, Civ, Starbase Orion to name a few.

If you ever have any thoughts on what we could do to improve the game we are always open to suggestions. Designing a game experience that is fun for the community is our number one priority.

You bring up some greats points especially on the iphone, that more complex games are not really suited for the small screen. While the touch interface makes up a little for this, it is still not an optimal platform. However, the iPad in my opinion is the game changer and I believe more complex games can be done on it.

The future of mobile 4x gaming is bright, and I am sure as more developers and the hardware itself evolves we will see pc equivalent games.

Starbase Orion, and Ascendancy are the right steps forward though.

zarkwizard
02-27-2012, 10:14 PM
Starbase Orion, and Ascendancy are the right steps forward though.

I would certainly agree.. There are plenty of issues that come up with a lot of games imho, and perhaps iCloud will solve it in the long run, but it's new technology and it will be awhile before we seem more people using it.

In our case we allow you to play from any device as long as you have registered an account on a device you own and have a valid key generated by apple. Once you log in the receipt is sent to our servers and linked to the account you log in with. Once that process is done you could even log in on your friends iPhone/touch/pad.. and play the game. Since the servers can validate the receipts with apple once the initial link is made you are good to go. Think of something like WoW, or EQ.. We have a real MMO setup running in the background, not just a simple web sever handling requests. Playing our game could be compared to going to a friends house and logging in your guy to play WoW/EQ

Where as with a lot of games you buy they are limited to the single device or play well on a single type of device. eg where as Starbase Orion and Ascendancy are better suited for the iPad (due to being a bigger screen, and not specifically because it has more pixels than the iPhone 4) it makes it easier to play the game, and makes the interface more functional, where as resolution is the same.

We have a specific iPad vesion that we will be coming out with in the future that will use the larger interface of the iPad, but in turn also work well on the portable devices. I think you may see better integration across your devices with iCloud in place, although it'll be awhile before that happens. It's nice seeing games of their caliber coming out for the single user experience. Hopefully we are moving in the right direction as well. We wanted to focus on the smaller screens first, make the game playable, then take that playability up a notch and give you the right experience for the tablets. Since we are multiplayer it seemed more logical to focus on how someone would play the game on their iDevice vs specifically playing on a larger screen.

It's great seeing solid strategy games coming out for the iOS devices whatever the game, and I look forward to many more games in the future.