PDA

View Full Version : System names

JonasB
09-18-2011, 09:12 PM
I find it confusing that all planets are named Planet_# and I rename my colonies so that all planets in the same system have the same name with different numbers. However, this is a little tedious so it would be cool if all systems had unique names and the planets were labeled 1 to 6 (or I to VI, as I prefer). You would need alot of names, but with the help of players you should be able to put together a long list.

Of course, there may be copyright issues with using names from other sources, but forum users could help remove names that come from known sources and are not generic.

adam__moore
09-18-2011, 11:11 PM
I choose 1 overall sector name then rename planets according to type - so in sector Jonas my homeworld would be Jonas prime; lava planet, Jonas fuego; dwarf, Jonas Doc etc etc. More than one if the same planet? I use roman numerals! I'm sure other players have their own systems and the generic naming is fine as it lets everyone work out their own way IMHO

Tsagoth
09-20-2011, 01:21 PM
I considered this early on, but once I realized that it might require over 50,000 names I gave it up. I did consider a random gibberish that generates names like Jita or Vaankalen, but someone else already did that.

Spartanius
09-20-2011, 04:52 PM
I name my planets based on a scheme so I know exactly where a planet is and what it is doing with its resources so I can view everything from the planet list. works ok I think.

Cheerio
09-20-2011, 05:43 PM
Might work for us more experienced players but I could see a new player getting overwhelmed and quiting before getting the hang of it.

JonasB
09-20-2011, 06:50 PM
Tsagoth:

That many? I like that idea about random names, it would be greatly helpful to many players and to others, who prefer a different naming scheme, it wouldn't be any different from now.

I don't see why you couldn't do that as well, even though somebody else did it first.

Tsagoth
09-20-2011, 08:07 PM
The I - VI business could be done easily enough. The other would take some work, and there's more pressing things that need fixing than names at the moment, so it's a future thing.

adam__moore
09-22-2011, 11:12 PM
Just as a quickie - the naming Scheme Planet_x_y where x is the sector and y is an arbitrary I - VI would probably look better and make it easier for beginners to keep track of where their planets were.

Some of us will be renaming everything anyway *ahem* OCD *ahem* but this might be a slightly more friendly overall experience?