PDA

View Full Version : Beta information...

zarkwizard
01-06-2011, 04:48 AM
Hi all,

We have noticed that there are people starting to ask about betas.

While we have coded PC clients to talk to the game and have performed large scale testing that way there really aren't enough keys available to us via the UUID settings as an Apple developer. I guess Apple never expected very large scale multiplayer games. Apple only allows us to setup 100 UUIDs for testing within the system, and those keys are locked in for the entire year. Considering that we have quite a few other games on the horizon it wouldn't be a good idea to consume all the keys.

We will probably bring on several more people to add to the testing and move away from the text PC clients mainly for extended UI testing to make sure everything is solid UI wise and play a bit of a game.

At this point the game has gone through quite a lot of testing, and there won't be a huge beta. I am sure when the time comes we'll select a few people off the forums. We'll keep you all posted as we start looking for people.

Regards,

Zark

Blackrend
01-06-2011, 04:42 PM
Sounds good! That is terrible that Apple locks so many keys for development. I mean don't they realize its the apps, games, and software that make their hardware sell? I am glad to see that there will be more testing and polishing before the game comes out and I wish the best of luck to y'all with it. I can't wait for this game to come out and I look forward to hearing more about it in the future.

-Blackrend

Gamerfett
01-06-2011, 09:13 PM
Dos dis meanzz I canz hav BetA KeYZZZ???

Sorry had to do it. It stinks that Apple did that but if you do need help in the future I would be more then glad to. I actually worked as a tester for activision and have been out of work with kidney stones for about 2 weeks im going crazy and would help if needed.

zarkwizard
01-07-2011, 12:54 AM
:)

Believe me it has been a topic often. I am sure most people would not enjoy the "programmer" interfaces that were designed for testing. We spent a lot of time working on the UI, and we'll definitely be looking to include several people from the forums before we go to GDC. We would like to make sure that the UI has a really nice feel to it, and make sure that the interface makes it really easy to play the game.

Thanks for your interest.

Regards,

Zark

Gamerfett
01-07-2011, 04:50 AM
No problem! Like I stated in my other thread looking forward to the game!

zRoKills
01-07-2011, 11:45 PM
Zark, I will buy you lunch if you hook me up with the beta...

zarkwizard
01-08-2011, 06:14 PM
Zark, I will buy you lunch if you hook me up with the beta...

Depends on what we eat for lunch. :)

BeeJay
01-09-2011, 12:33 PM
Hey thanks for keeping us "in the loop". Any chance of some Dev Diaries? I buy bluray and DVDs especially for the behind the scenes stuff and would love to gear from u guys as u finish off this game.

zarkwizard
01-10-2011, 03:30 AM
Hey thanks for keeping us "in the loop". Any chance of some Dev Diaries? I buy bluray and DVDs especially for the behind the scenes stuff and would love to gear from u guys as u finish off this game.

I'll bring it up, and see if they want to get someone to start a blog about progress and things going on.

BeeJay
01-10-2011, 11:21 AM
That'd be awesome. It's all about, Connecting with Fans and giving them Reasons to Buy.
:)

Tsagoth
01-11-2011, 12:22 PM
Unless your name is John Carmack, I doubt too many people are interested in the ramblings of caffeine-fueled, Pop Tart eating typists.

Day 357. Typed for 14 hours. Fig Newtons running low. Went to bed.

Probably not the kind of thing people find interesting.

zarkwizard
01-11-2011, 01:57 PM
Unless your name is John Carmack, I doubt too many people are interested in the ramblings of caffeine-fueled, Pop Tart eating typists.

Day 357. Typed for 14 hours. Fig Newtons running low. Went to bed.

Probably not the kind of thing people find interesting.

Oh come now.. you forgot:

Day 562: Finally they let me buy my iPhone 4g, so I can get rid of my 2g Touch and see the game in all it's splendor, assuming Zark ever gets me the new build with my new UUID in it...

I would hope no one would be looking for daily ramblings.. This isn't Twitter or Facebook. :) I think it's more about the general things, like... say what we ate for lunch. Besides I don't like Fig Newtons much.. Mine would be something like this:

Day 562: Got up... Talked to Tsagoth about some structure changes.. ate Froot Loops grumpily because I was all out of high fibre oatmeal (at least they are fibre Froot Loops..), sat in front of the Mac testing code before heading in to the office to find something I was adding last night actually works. Drop daughter off at school, get to the office.. read the forums, respond to this stuff when I should be coding client stuff.. to be continued...

Maybe I should have posted about yesterday..

lordxorn
01-14-2011, 05:56 PM
I registered just to introduce myself, and say that this LOOKS very promising.

Gentlemen this year is looking good for us 4x gamers on the iPhone/iPad platform. (I need to get an iPad)

Really looking forward to this one, and will bide my time playing Ascendancy. =)

(BTW I am a credited tester for the Distant Worlds Return of the Shakturi, so I would love to help BETA.)

zarkwizard
01-14-2011, 07:09 PM
I registered just to introduce myself, and say that this LOOKS very promising.

Gentlemen this year is looking good for us 4x gamers on the iPhone/iPad platform. (I need to get an iPad)

Really looking forward to this one, and will bide my time playing Ascendancy. =)

(BTW I am a credited tester for the Distant Worlds Return of the Shakturi, so I would love to help BETA.)

I saw a video of Ascendancy a while back.. Someone at the office mentioned it to me. Had some pretty nifty things in it graphics effects wise.

We are just polishing up some of the interface functions.. We are hoping to bring in some outside testers in the near future to play around with the interface. It'll be nice to get some outside opinions on the interface making sure things are easy to use and quick to manage. After all who wants to spend an hour looking for a fleet...

Keuka
03-11-2011, 03:14 PM
Hey I sure Apple will adapt especially when this title takes off!