PDA

View Full Version : New to 4X, very excited about EotE

Monument
03-03-2012, 06:53 PM
I started my first experience with 4X games this week and was thrilled to stumble upon the TouchArcade article about this game. I've been checking the App Store daily in anticipation. Can't wait for release!

lordxorn
03-03-2012, 08:36 PM
Great to hear we have another convert to 4x space strategy games! BTW what game brought your over to the "smart side"? =P

I personally was brought over by the classic original Master of Orion, by the time Master of Orion II came out I was completely hooked.

There are some other great titles to check out like Starbase Orion, or Ascendancy currently on the iOS platform. Though the completely search unfriendly app stoe makes it hard to find 4x games.

zarkwizard
03-03-2012, 10:09 PM
Great to see you here. :)

I think MoO was probably the first 4x game I played.. I can't recall if the first Civ was before it or not. Both so long ago. I also loved the RTS type games. I think Dune was probably the first I played in that vein. Once I played Warcraft via Kali I was hooked. The RTS genre is one of my favorites, but the style of games like Civ is what I loved. I always wanted a game like Civ, but multiplayer, and not turn based, since on a large scale it doesn't really work. I tried UniWars when it first came out, but I was saddened by the drop out rate, or the length of times it took for people to take turns.

If you ever have any questions about the game, or suggestions we are always open to making the game a better experience for the players. Pull up a chair, watch the tutorials on youtube (LeeDot has put some fantastic tutorials together. They are in the game as well.) - http://www.youtube.com/user/Zarksoft?ob=0&feature=results_main . There is plenty to digest before the first game starts.

As soon as we hear from Apple that the game is live we'll be sure to let you all know.

Monument
03-03-2012, 10:21 PM
I started reading about Star Control and MoO on gog.com and looked for some more modern games. I bought X3:TC on Steam and have been playing that, but I hear so much about Star Control and MoO that I'm going to have to give those a try.

Leedot
03-03-2012, 10:34 PM
Awesome - glad to hear that you're excited about the game. I have to say Star Control 2 is one of my all time favorite games so if you haven't played it definitely check it out. It's not really a 4x game but it's got a great space based story and universe.

lordxorn
03-03-2012, 11:05 PM
I started reading about Star Control and MoO on gog.com and looked for some more modern games. I bought X3:TC on Steam and have been playing that, but I hear so much about Star Control and MoO that I'm going to have to give those a try.

Star Control and MOO are the classics, if you have a computer that handle more modern titles, I suggest Armada 2526, or Distant Worlds. The latter being more pc intensive. There is a remake of the SC2 game coming down the pipe as well..