PDA

View Full Version : Empire of the Eclipse V Galactic Empires

idFREEK
03-15-2012, 02:29 PM
I have been looking at Galactic Empires on the app store. Being a wee bitty of a noob to this, how would you differentiate game play of Galactic Empires to Empire of the Eclipse?

2rben
03-15-2012, 06:42 PM
I have not played Empire of the Eclipse yet - unfortunately.

But one main difference is that in Galaxy Empire you can buy your way to the top, as dark matter can be converted to resources and speed up building etc. This should not be the case with eclipse, unless they drastically change their payment concept.

zarkwizard
03-15-2012, 08:02 PM
I have played GE, and I know the others have played it as well. I can say this for it, out to the web based MMOs it's got some pretty home world graphics.. Very Star Craft like with the little guys that collect the crystals...

Other than that there is what 2rben points out. Most of those style of games are all about the money grab. Which is a HUGE detractor for me. I like a competitive strategy game that can have a real outcome. Sadly the majority of games out there are all about getting as much money as they can, and they usually aren't really focused on what's ultimately in it for the long haul player. Balance can usually be an issue, as well as other things.

I would suggest you download GE, and check it out.. I get frustrated in a lot of those games, because a lot of the functionality we have implemented in our game to navigate around makes it much easier to manage your empire. The games also have a very different feel to them. I can say that, but you won't get it till you play EotE. Ours feels more like a PC game. Like it's more of a real game like Civ (Only with a much better interface designed for mobile devices), vs Farmville feel.

Leedot
03-15-2012, 09:04 PM
Zark - I think you're confusing Galaxy Empire with Galactic Empires. At their core they're very similar games with almost identical unit structures and tech trees but Galaxy Empire has a nicer looking interface.

As for the games themselves EotE is much more graphical in that you actually see units moving around and navigate a map, etc. Additionally EotE has a much wider range of technologies that change the way the game functions as opposed to simply being stat bonuses.

Some other noticeable differences is that EotE games are finite with multiple win conditions and there's a focus on eliminating player grind. Comparatively both the GE games are free to play so their entire business model centers around players spending money to eliminate the grinding elements and there's no end to the games.

One of the big problems with games that never end is that players who start playing in the beginning of the game invariably have a huge advantage over players that come into the game at a later date. Generally how this is balanced in GE and other games other type is by putting artificial limitations on who a player can attack and nerfing combat in general to the point that no one can ever be eliminated from a game, etc.

Anyhow, those are some of the differences between the games as I see it but you should definitely play both and come to your own conclusions.