PDA

View Full Version : Resubmission Update

Leedot
04-06-2012, 09:36 PM
Hi everyone - Just a heads up to say that work is still progressing on changing up our billing system to meet Apple's requirements and that those changes should be wrapping up soon. In the meantime while waiting on those changes to be completed on the back end side of the code base we've been busy fixing a number of small bugs along with improving the functionality of the main galaxy menu so Empire will look and play even better.

We'll let you know as soon as we officially resubmit the game to Apple.

Leedot
04-17-2012, 08:35 PM
Ok folks, we've resubmitted a new build to Apple so with any luck Empire will sail through the submission process this time around and be out on the store very soon!

ravenzachary
04-17-2012, 09:45 PM
Congratulations! We can't wait. Best wishes on a speedy approval.

Supamand
04-17-2012, 10:35 PM
Congratulations!
Now I've been holding this back, not to give you any ideas for further development delays. :D
I was wondering if you guys implemented or planing to implement achievements for Game Center?
Reason I'm asking is because Game Center is like a Facebook of the app game world. It could help spread the word about this awesome game.

DickDastardly
04-18-2012, 07:55 AM
Ok folks, we've resubmitted a new build to Apple so with any luck Empire will sail through the submission process this time around and be out on the store very soon!

Good luck guys...

*begins constant refreshing of app store and regular cursing of religious books*

DickDastardly
04-23-2012, 05:13 PM
Do you know if its actually been looked at yet?

zarkwizard
04-24-2012, 11:18 AM
Do you know if its actually been looked at yet?

Here is what we know.. We know someone has logged in, but the game still says "Waiting For Review". Other than that you know what we do. Apples review process is a bit of a black box. There is no real way to know where you stand in the process. The last couple of times we went in to review the only reason we knew is because I refresh the page about 50 times a day. The one thing that seems a little odd to me is when you get to the review stage and you need to make changes, when you upload a new binary you start over completely. That's probably the worst part. For every rejection you have to wait the 6-10 days for another review.

It is what it is... Not much we can do about it. I probably get asked about 50 times a day.. "Have you heard anything?". I sigh a lot. :)

We feel good about this submission though. We did everything the guy on the phone said, and more. I suspect it will be any day now. I'm starting to get in to the 50 refreshes a day. People that have been helping us test this latest version of the game think it's a real huge improvement. I haven't heard of any bugs in the most current version (not saying there aren't any, just haven't heard about any yet..).. So we are pretty excited about people playing the new release.

Soon my little smurfs... soon..

DickDastardly
04-24-2012, 11:32 AM
Hopefully it will be! does it go straight from review to the app store or do you guys have to do anything in between?

zarkwizard
04-24-2012, 02:22 PM
Hopefully it will be! does it go straight from review to the app store or do you guys have to do anything in between?

It won't go right out without us being aware of it. Once we get the conformation from Apple that it can go in to the AppStore, we will turn on spawning game servers and things like that, then put the release in the store. So there are minor things we need to do, just to make sure it doesn't go out without our knowledge, but it should be pretty quick. We are talking hours, not days from when we know... unless there is a specific reason to delay the delivery to the store.

DickDastardly
04-24-2012, 02:59 PM
Thats good to know. It means refreshing here instead of the app store!

Lavenders2
04-25-2012, 09:06 AM
http://cdn.memegenerator.net/instances/400x/19365602.jpg
Any time now Apple, any time.

zarkwizard
04-25-2012, 10:54 AM
Any time now Apple, any time.

Do you have a camera in my house? lol

robertreyez
04-25-2012, 11:44 AM
Do you have a camera in my house? lol

Does this mean apple has approved the game? :eek::eek::eek:

zarkwizard
04-25-2012, 02:25 PM
Does this mean apple has approved the game? :eek::eek::eek:

I was referring to: "Y U NO RELEASE EMPIRE OF THE ECLIPSE" calling to the heavens.. :) Not that Apple had done anything yet.. I looked this morning and it's still "Waiting for review"... I'll check again...

checked.. "Awesome it says it's released!!" is what I will say as soon as it gets to that point... currently it's just waiting on review still.

DickDastardly
04-25-2012, 06:54 PM
checked.. "Awesome it says it's released!!" is what I will say as soon as it gets to that point... currently it's just waiting on review still.

I wonder how many people swore at you then!!!

DickDastardly
04-25-2012, 09:45 PM
I'm beginning to get a bad feeling! :-(

zarkwizard
04-25-2012, 10:51 PM
No change.. Still waiting on review... Just checked again... I don't think any of us are too worried about it this time. Considering we did it the way they said to do it. Maybe it's just a busy week at Apple.

lordxorn
04-26-2012, 03:39 AM
No change.. Still waiting on review... Just checked again... I don't think any of us are too worried about it this time. Considering we did it the way they said to do it. Maybe it's just a busy week at Apple.

Late Wednesday night PST time seems to be big release night for the app store, with a refresh on the featured page. So early Thursday is a possibility.

Lavenders2
04-26-2012, 05:49 AM
Late Wednesday night PST time seems to be big release night for the app store, with a refresh on the featured page. So early Thursday is a possibility.

That would be superb! Mind you apple do some very strange things. They allow scam apps on the appstore, but decline legit games with beta players to support that the game is fine. Even though EotE wasn't about being a legit game, the fact that scam apps get into the appstore but games like this don't is concerning

DickDastardly
04-26-2012, 06:18 AM
They allow scam apps on the appstore, but decline legit games with beta players to support that the game is fine. Even though EotE wasn't about being a legit game, the fact that scam apps get into the appstore but games like this don't is concerning

To be fair I think half the games on there are scams. The concept of playing a few times then energy running out so you have to buy more, and all the other unexpected in game purchases really get on my nerves.

I've found possibly two or three games that I love, and they were relatively high priced, with a few add on's available buy IAP. EoTE appealed to me because everything was clear cut, with (hopefully) no hidden surprises.

Lavenders2
04-26-2012, 08:09 AM
To be fair I think half the games on there are scams. The concept of playing a few times then energy running out so you have to buy more, and all the other unexpected in game purchases really get on my nerves.

I've found possibly two or three games that I love, and they were relatively high priced, with a few add on's available buy IAP. EoTE appealed to me because everything was clear cut, with (hopefully) no hidden surprises.

Those really aren't scams. I'm talking about the games you have to buy, and then the game doesn't work (intentionally) or the game isn't what was advertised. Games that advertise a Minecraft clone but are really a basic box game or something like that are good examples, and people are completely mindless when it comes to Minecraft.

I don't like energy based games, but some people do, as is clearly evident by the masses purchasing little items or energy or whatever

DickDastardly
04-26-2012, 01:02 PM
They may not be scam by definition, but they use the energy to get people to pay more money for it and none of this is ever detailed in the game description.

If i buy a game, it may only be 69p/99c, but unless i am told otherwise and expect to, i don't want to find additional costs when you pay for it, get into the game and then can't progress because your 'energy' has run out.

If its a free game, then you're fair game for it, but there should still be a point in the description saying so.

Anyway i digress.... COME ON APPLE!!! PULL YOUR FINGER OUT!!!

lordxorn
04-26-2012, 01:48 PM
That would be superb! Mind you apple do some very strange things. They allow scam apps on the appstore, but decline legit games with beta players to support that the game is fine. Even though EotE wasn't about being a legit game, the fact that scam apps get into the appstore but games like this don't is concerning

Yes I will not join the "scam" conversation about pay-to-play business models, but I do agree that there is a lot of content that is questionable on the app store, when gems like EOTE are held back because of petty subscription models.

On a sadder note, my guess failed about a release late last night. I should have checked http://reviewtimes.shinydevelopment.com/, because about over a month ago it was down to 4 days. It seems more apps are being submitted and the review time is taking 7 days. Counting by Zarks resubmission post the seventh day is today. =)

DickDastardly
04-26-2012, 01:53 PM
I should have checked http://reviewtimes.shinydevelopment.com/, because about over a month ago it was down to 4 days. It seems more apps are being submitted and the review time is taking 7 days. Counting by Zarks resubmission post the seventh day is today. =)

I had checked, and looking on the twitter feed there's a huge jumble from 4 - 8. I also thought they counted weekends and if so we're at 9!

lordxorn
04-26-2012, 02:08 PM
I had checked, and looking on the twitter feed there's a huge jumble from 4 - 8. I also thought they counted weekends and if so we're at 9!

By either count we are at 0-hour. =)

DickDastardly
04-26-2012, 02:33 PM
I think we have to factor in that once its approved, Zark and Lee will probably dance around like mad for a few hours.

avalon12
04-26-2012, 08:29 PM
Haha, everyone's getting so excited and impatient.. Fun to see! I myself am also very excited to see this game getting available! I have seldom been so eager to start playing any game ever!

Daemonic Daz
04-26-2012, 10:04 PM
Been stalking the website since March when I saw the review by Touch Arcade about EoTe but I've registered just to say I've got my fingers crossed for you guys at zarksoft. Looks like you've put alot of hard work in and I wholeheartedly support your quest for a game that is based on skill, not how much disposable income and time someone has to burn.

Looking forward to see you all in game soon!

zarkwizard
04-27-2012, 12:22 AM
Still waiting for review.. *sigh*.. I would suspect it'll be any time now.

We really dislike the pay to win models as well. One of the reasons we have been so upfront about our business model with everyone. We certainly don't want to seem like we are trying to scam anyone. We have a set monthly fee, you get everything we put in the game. As we add new things, you'll get those too.. The biggest thing is when you lose, it'll be because someone was better than you, not because someone paid 50$ for the I get to kick you butt button.

During this waiting period we are already starting to work on the iPad version, and game improvements. Be the time this gets through we'll probably be ready to submit an upgrade. :)

AntiHaze
04-27-2012, 01:11 AM
During this waiting period we are already starting to work on the iPad version

iPad version would be TOPS

Kiminoth
04-27-2012, 01:19 AM
Been stalking the website since March when I saw the review!
haha i'm the exact same. Been regularly coming to the website to see the progress.
Every time I google EotE in google to come here though as I haven't bookmarked it yet (smite me), I keep seeing this;
http://i50.tinypic.com/2uzf34k.jpg
And then dying a little inside. Then I realise the date and all is well again in the universe.

During this waiting period we are already starting to work on the iPad version, and game improvements. Be the time this gets through we'll probably be ready to submit an upgrade. :)
Perfect timing as I should be getting my iPad which I just bought on Monday!

Lavenders2
04-27-2012, 11:01 PM
Any updates from the officials?

zarkwizard
04-28-2012, 12:25 PM
Well... bad news.. we were rejected again. Although we are perplexed as to the reason.... Here is the reason:

However, based on product functionality, it would be more appropriate to use the Subscription In App Purchase type because the service offered by your application requires the user to make an advance payment to access the content or receive the service.

So on one hand we were told we can't use subscriptions, we redesign the application to use consumables as we were told to do on the phone from someone at Apple. Now we were rejected, because we should be using subscriptions.... Please understand if you all find this frustrating, imagine how we are feeling. We aren't going to rant about it, personally I lost enough sleep feeling sick to my stomach last night. In the rejection we posted a specific note asking what specifically must we do to get the app approved. Hopefully we'll get a specific outline from someone and we'll be able to move forward.

We are VERY SORRY that the game has been delayed yet again. You have no idea how bad we feel having to pass on this news yet again. Like I said above I personally didn't sleep last night, and I didn't post last night because it would have probably been a rant, which wouldn't be good for anyone. As soon as we know more we will let you all know.

Magorath
04-28-2012, 01:04 PM
That make perfect sense in crazy town?

Lavenders2
04-28-2012, 01:47 PM
Well... bad news.. we were rejected again. Although we are perplexed as to the reason.... Here is the reason:

So on one hand we were told we can't use subscriptions, we redesign the application to use consumables as we were told to do on the phone from someone at Apple. Now we were rejected, because we should be using subscriptions.... Please understand if you all find this frustrating, imagine how we are feeling. We aren't going to rant about it, personally I lost enough sleep feeling sick to my stomach last night. In the rejection we posted a specific note asking what specifically must we do to get the app approved. Hopefully we'll get a specific outline from someone and we'll be able to move forward.

We are VERY SORRY that the game has been delayed yet again. You have no idea how bad we feel having to pass on this news yet again. Like I said above I personally didn't sleep last night, and I didn't post last night because it would have probably been a rant, which wouldn't be good for anyone. As soon as we know more we will let you all know.

Firstly, don't be sorry. This isn't your fault it would be Apple's.
Secondly, you said you managed to get on the phone with someone the first time. I think you need to try and get into contact with someone and explain the situation, because it seems that Apple really doesn't know what they want. It seems really unfair that you guys got rejected twice, for contradicting reasons, and letting apps like Order and Chaos on the store no problem. Once they realize they have contradicted themselves, they are going to have to make some decision as to what to do.
Thirdly, what the heck are you gonna do if they insist you return to the original method? Would you have to completely rework the game again?

Anyway, I can understand that you guys must be having an awful time wiith this, and you guys are desperate to get the game on the store as much as we are desperate to play it, but there is light at the end of the tunnel.

I'm going to be really curious as to how Apple responds when they realize they messed up.

lordxorn
04-28-2012, 03:01 PM
It seems that the left foot is not talking to the right, it is unfortunate that Apple would let a legally questionable clone through no problem. However, a quality title like EOTE has to jump through ridiculousness. :mad:

Port the game to Android instead.:rolleyes:

Daemonic Daz
04-28-2012, 03:32 PM
Firstly, don't be sorry. This isn't your fault it would be Apple's.

I second this, as disheartening as it is you're on the precipice of joining the few true MMO's that are available on the App Store. Apple's QA and app review process is a notorious headache for the most seasoned developers, but I guess you guys knew that. Take it as a learning curve and as they say: "Third time lucky!"

Thirdly, what the heck are you gonna do if they insist you return to the original method? Would you have to completely rework the game again?

I'd place a safe bet that the guys will be using some sort of versioning method that will allow them to rollback the game back to before the changes were made, should the case arise.

Don't take it to heart guys, you've done so much in preparation for this moment. Don't let it slow you down. :)

zarkwizard
04-28-2012, 03:37 PM

We still have all the other subscription code. It wouldn't be that bad to put back in.

We are working on trying to get in contact with someone at Apple, and hopefully get things resolved so we can move forward, and know what is expected of us.

Marked
04-28-2012, 08:14 PM
10 to 1 says that the people who handle subscription apps are different from the people that handle non-subscription apps and there in lies the problem. Or at least something to that effect.

shadowkhai
04-29-2012, 01:37 AM
Ugh, so sorry for you guys. How utterly frustrating.

Anyone got any extra rectal cranial extractors lying around?

zarkwizard
04-29-2012, 01:33 PM
On the news front we have been in contact with someone at Apple, and we are working with them to get to the bottom of the issue. Hopefully in the next couple of days we'll be able to tell you more, and we'll know exactly what we need to do for the game.

It tough being the new guy on the block. :) We are optimistic that it will all be sorted in the very near future. Thanks everyone for your patience. We hope the game lives up to your expectations, and if it doesn't please let us know how to can get it there after you play.

Marked
04-29-2012, 07:35 PM
stick with it. We will be here when its ready. Don't take no crap from those apple people. They give you any trouble kick'em in the stem.

AntiHaze
04-29-2012, 08:11 PM
Any chance you can set up a mailing list to alert us when the game is ready? I'm getting OCD checking this site 10 times a day.

zarkwizard
04-30-2012, 05:43 PM
UPDATE:
Ok, we spoke with Apple this morning. It was a fairly good conversation about what we need to do exactly to get smoothly through the process. Now that we have the information, we can make the required changes. Visually it'll be pretty much the same as I outlined in my other post. The only difference will be that a person will not be required to create an account if they only want to play from a single device.

We can not require registration to play the game. With that being said we can set it up so the server will provide the system with a default user/password combo that doesn't require a registration to get in, but if you wish to access the game from multiple devices you will be required to signup. Although to be honest we would suggest you signup anyhow. It's always easier when you know your account information, rather than to have something provided for you.

This change will take a couple of days, and we should be resubmitting. Hopefully within the next couple of weeks this will all be behind us, and we can look forward to playing the game.

Magorath
04-30-2012, 06:35 PM
Nice to know they've given you some direction. What about subscription or in app purchase for game time payment as that was the apparent issue?

lordxorn
04-30-2012, 08:20 PM
I was wondering the same thing, if they dont have to register how to you handle payments? Or free accounts have to be implemented?

zarkwizard
04-30-2012, 08:29 PM
I had a similar question when I was talking to them...

We have to provide an "AutoAccount" feature. Basically if you just click "Login" without signing up, we need to provide a mechanism that doesn't require you to type configure an account. Our server will autogenerate a username and password for the account. It won't require that you signup officially. This will only work on the device you are on, and will not be able to sign in on another device. The Username/Password fields will be locked when using this mode. If you reset your device you'll basically be hosed, since we can no longer use the UUID (RE: http://techcrunch.com/2011/08/19/apple-ios-5-phasing-out-udid/ ).

We HIGHLY suggest people signup for an account if they plan on playing the game, because if you don't and you change devices you my lose any purchases you made on your old device. According to Apple that's fine. If you have multiple devices, you will need to either signup, or buy accounts on all your devices. We don't have any control over this, it is policy, and I was told such.

So while we don't require the signup, it's highly suggested, just for your sanity. We'll put a blurb on the log in screen saying such.

Those are the big changes.. Which in all it's pretty simple stuff. We just need to add an "Automation" packet to the log in process. No free accounts, you will still need to create a character to play.

fieryspoon
05-01-2012, 04:12 AM
Doesn't hero academy force you to make an account?

lordxorn
05-01-2012, 05:35 AM
However, it does not make sense with your business model.

I think offering "non-signup" a free play version that limits their tech level (or some other limit) would be the solution.

It is not fair for those of us who do register and I assume have to pay?

Leedot
05-01-2012, 08:10 AM
To be clear not having to register doesn't mean that there's a free option. People will still have to purchase a subscription, it just means that we can't require someone to register with us.

As for subscription, the issue is more that there's a very specific way they want to see the model implemented. To the outside world there will be virtually no difference from what we've described before so nothing's really changing for you guys.

Tsagoth
05-01-2012, 11:57 AM
Nice to know they've given you some direction. What about subscription or in app purchase for game time payment as that was the apparent issue?

We've been told to resubmit using subscriptions. The wrinkle is that we are not permitted to ask you for a user name until after you purchase a subscription. Also, if you only want to play on one device, we aren't permitted to ask you for a user name at all. It's complicated.

zarkwizard
05-01-2012, 01:04 PM
The wrinkle is that we are not permitted to ask you for a user name until after you purchase a subscription.

To be exact... We can have the option available to you, but we can't force you to sign up on a single device, but we can tell you that you are required to signup if you would like to access the game from multiple devices. Although in either case we highly suggest people sign up. If you ever lose your auto log in anytime in the future we will not be able to recover it, since we won't know the real owner of the account. Since technically you could have given your device away, lost it, or had it stolen. Without the linked e-mail account to the registration we have no way of e-mailing the original owner of the account.

11.6 Content subscriptions using IAP must last a minimum of 7 days and be available to the user from all of their iOS devices

If you choose to use user registration to meet this requirement, please keep in mind that it is not appropriate to require user registration. Such user registration must be made optional. It would be appropriate to make it clear to the user that only by registering will they be able to access the content from all of their iOS devices; and to provide them a way to register later, if they wish to access the content on their other iOS devices at a future time.

I had a long chat with the guy on the phone explaining our problem with said functionality, but I was told it is a matter of Apple policy, and it was not open for discussion. He said we will need to figure out how to work within those bounds, and if we could not find a way to do that our app would not be approved.

At any rate the issue is moot.. We have devised a work around to the problem and will be working on it over the next couple of days. Hopefully we'll be back in the submit queue in the very near future, since it's not a massive problem.

lordxorn
05-01-2012, 05:29 PM
To be exact... We can have the option available to you, but we can't force you to sign up on a single device, but we can tell you that you are required to signup if you would like to access the game from multiple devices. Although in either case we highly suggest people sign up. If you ever lose your auto log in anytime in the future we will not be able to recover it, since we won't know the real owner of the account. Since technically you could have given your device away, lost it, or had it stolen. Without the linked e-mail account to the registration we have no way of e-mailing the original owner of the account.

I had a long chat with the guy on the phone explaining our problem with said functionality, but I was told it is a matter of Apple policy, and it was not open for discussion. He said we will need to figure out how to work within those bounds, and if we could not find a way to do that our app would not be approved.

At any rate the issue is moot.. We have devised a work around to the problem and will be working on it over the next couple of days. Hopefully we'll be back in the submit queue in the very near future, since it's not a massive problem.

Kudos to whoever said "Third time is a charm." LOL

I am glad it seems to be fully worked out, too bad you couldn't get this Apple guy on the phone earlier. =-)

Eagerly waiting approval so I can review/enjoy it. =)

VanderLegion
05-01-2012, 05:45 PM
It sounds like you guys have already figured out a way to set it up with an autogenerated username/password etc, but could it be set up to just use a Game Center ID for people that didn't want to register separate? Thinking just using the GC ID, not the rest of the game center functionality, but then it might be possible to set it up so it can potentially be recovered.

zarkwizard
05-01-2012, 07:41 PM
It sounds like you guys have already figured out a way to set it up with an autogenerated username/password etc, but could it be set up to just use a Game Center ID for people that didn't want to register separate? Thinking just using the GC ID, not the rest of the game center functionality, but then it might be possible to set it up so it can potentially be recovered.

Sadly they are separate processes. There is no way for our servers to talk with the GC servers. It would be nice if there was some kind of a centralized Apple log in process that we could use. It would have certainly made our lives easier.

VanderLegion
05-01-2012, 10:58 PM
I was just thinking of using the GC ID for the username essentially, since you can access that if the user is signed in without using the rest of the game center multiplayer stuff, then having it autogenerate a password for your servers. That way it could be possible to set up a way to retrieve the password if you're logged into your game center account after having wiped and restored your phone, or bought a new one, etc. Though I suppose there could be people out there who don't want to create an account for your guys' server that also don't use game center...

zarkwizard
05-02-2012, 04:40 AM
Regardless of if we could have used the GC log in or not, the bigger issue is still at hand of not requiring a signup or log in to play. That's the main issue at hand. I suppose if someone is overly paranoid they don't have to sign up, with us since we will just auto-generate something for them.. It's their choice, and something we will provide for privacy to meet the Apple requirements.

We can't twist someones arm to sign up, but we certainly suggest it. We would hate to see someone lose their phone and get screwed out of something like a lifetime account because they didn't want to register. There is nothing we can do if something like that happens. We have no way to link the information for anything other than the device you use for the auto-gen process. Unless of course you sign up. Then we at least have a mechanism to be able to recover your information and send the account holder an e-mail.

You can auto-gen an account, and later on signup, and your account information will then be linked to the user you created, and you will also gain the ability to log in from any device, not just the one you signed up on.

Snax
05-02-2012, 12:33 PM
You could be transparent with apple's login policy to trigger people's intuition. If not at the first boot, then certainly at a purchase pos with an unregistered device.

It's unfortunate that they are being so hamfisted, despite their own emarrasing direct contradiction screw-up.

catswift
05-02-2012, 06:11 PM
Will the auto-generated username and password be available to the player when they get created? or accessible on a separate setting screen?

zarkwizard
05-02-2012, 08:47 PM
Will the auto-generated username and password be available to the player when they get created? or accessible on a separate setting screen?

It will not be accessible. It is a device generated algorithm to uniquely identify the device, as it is outlined and expected by Apple. You can choose to just use that, or you can go through the registration process to configure a username, and password. You can register at anytime, and if you choose not to you will have the auto-login process available to you.

Keep in mind the auto-generated identifier is unique to the device, and you will not be able to access your account from any other device, except the one you log in with. You will only be able to access you account from multiple devices if you choose to register.

DickDastardly
05-06-2012, 07:48 AM
It always makes me laugh how during the submission process this website always has people on it. Now whilst it's being redeveloped its all quiet again!

Did going public with this game increase pressure on you all? I can't imagine that come the submission periods, when we're all on here impatiently waiting, it helps your anxiety levels?

Do you regret going public with it so early?

zarkwizard
05-06-2012, 03:24 PM
Did going public with this game increase pressure on you all? I can't imagine that come the submission periods, when we're all on here impatiently waiting, it helps your anxiety levels?

Do you regret going public with it so early?

Hind site is 20/20.. :) In the future we may do things slightly different... The next game will have a lot of foundation code we have written, so it'll be much easier to work on the next game. If we look at Eclipse specifically, it could have been available over a year ago. The issue was we want to make sure that players have the best experience we can offer, and through the beta we learned that there were some huge flaws in the game design. We were very lucky to have a core group of testers, and we take feedback seriously. Games we develop aren't about making the most money we can and then ignore the users.. We are about designing the games people would love to play. We believe customer input is the most important thing there is.

Rather than push out a bug ridden, or design flawed game we decided we would go back to the drawing board and try to work things out. We are very happy with where we are today, vs where we were a year ago. We have now started work on upgrading the game, making a version specific to the iPad, and starting to look at what we can add in the next release. Eclipse is a game we are proud of, and we hope to get input from the users to see where the game heads.

Hopefully in the next game we'll have a better idea of what we need to do to keep things in check, and get to where we want it to be before we announce. Everything is a learning experience. What we take away from that experience is how we will evolve and learn.

edit: On a side note we have also learned a great deal about the submission process and what we need to do to make things a smoother transition. Those delays alone cost us a couple of months of development/submission time. Knowing what we know now, and having designed the correct engine now, future submissions should run a great deal smoother for this game, and any future games.

zarkwizard
05-06-2012, 09:53 PM
UPDATE:
Once again we have submitted to Apple. Hopefully everything will sail through this time with no issues. We'll keep you all posted.

shadowkhai
05-06-2012, 10:46 PM
*fingers crossed*

Good luck!

ChickenHawk07
05-06-2012, 11:33 PM
*fingers crossed*

Good luck!

^ This!

Can't wait to finally play!

SupremeJediTesla
05-07-2012, 08:47 AM
Yes! Praise the Grand Architect! Lol been waiting and checking daily for over a year oh man cant wait to play this amazing game! Hope u guys keep up your moto of havin this be an amazing app with amazing content filled updates! Nice work

Marked
05-07-2012, 10:57 PM
Zarkwizard your post above says everything a gamer wants to hear. I will follow you guys forever if you stick to those core beliefs.

Daemonic Daz
05-08-2012, 05:45 PM
Here's wishing you guys a speedy and uneventful app submission this time. Can't wait to sink my teeth into the game.

zarkwizard
05-08-2012, 07:52 PM
Today we found a couple of bugs that we somehow missed in testing. Since they aren't "Fatal" bugs, and most people won't encounter them for a couple of weeks we will push a new client once the current one is available. Rather than take the current version down and resubmit.

We already know what the bugs are and we have solutions for them. A new build will be submitted right after this one goes live. As we find them we will post updates int he tech support forum for the game.

Sorry about that..

Kiminoth
05-09-2012, 04:50 AM
Sorry about that..
I'll forgive you. This time =P
Plus side is that the game has to come out first so at least we'll get to play it this time ;)
I can live with a couple bugs of little importance if I finally get to play the game!
Good luck with the submission.

DickDastardly
05-11-2012, 08:02 AM
It's getting close to the 6 day mark and i'm getting twitchy again!!

zarkwizard
05-11-2012, 11:13 AM

So are we.. I played a joke on Lee telling him we were rejected again, and we were told to use consumables.. Let's just say he didn't have any nice words for me when he realized I was pulling his leg. :) Hopefully karma doesn't get pissed at me... :)

DickDastardly
05-11-2012, 11:26 AM
We can hope! Just be glad he didn't give you your p45!

lordxorn
05-11-2012, 03:20 PM

Unfortunately it is averaging 7 days for review time. http://reviewtimes.shinydevelopment.com/

DickDastardly
05-11-2012, 03:40 PM
Unfortunately it is averaging 7 days for review time. http://reviewtimes.shinydevelopment.com/

I looked on there after i posted. I think apple are a law unto themselves anyway, it'll be done when they want it to!

AntiHaze
05-11-2012, 04:43 PM
You'd think it would be ONE day at this point, considering how many times they have looked at the same code after all these submissions. They ought to know the code by memory.

zarkwizard
05-11-2012, 07:30 PM
You'd think it would be ONE day at this point, considering how many times they have looked at the same code after all these submissions. They ought to know the code by memory.

It is what it is... sadly the process is in place and it's something we all have to deal with. No point in getting stressed about it. The part that saddens us the most is we want to get the game in the players hands so we can start getting feedback.

We would have loved to have been focused on moving forward. We are looking forward to players getting in there, and are even excited about playing it ourselves... While we don't expect to win, it'll certainly be fun seeing what people do. I'm also looking forward to the iPad version going live. That will be the next big release hopefully in the next month or two. Obviously depends on what kind of feedback we are getting on what we will focus on.

Supamand
05-12-2012, 12:23 AM
Is it an average of 7 busyness days?

lordxorn
05-12-2012, 01:02 AM
Is it an average of 7 busyness days?

Yes that estimate is a reliance on developers self reporting how long their apps took, using Twitter for example.

ravenzachary
05-12-2012, 01:55 AM
So are we.. I played a joke on Lee telling him we were rejected again, and we were told to use consumables.. Let's just say he didn't have any nice words for me when he realized I was pulling his leg. :) Hopefully karma doesn't get pissed at me... :)

Hilarious and cruel! : )

Lavenders2
05-12-2012, 09:24 AM

Don't..... DO THAT! You had me fooled for a moment as well!
I almost wanted to kill Apple.

Anyway, my hopes is currently on Monday, later than that and I would fear rejection

zarkwizard
05-12-2012, 11:44 AM
I am pessimistically optimistic. :) Although last time I was pretty optimistic. It worked out though. The subscription model they had us move to was identical to consumables. From a code stand point there wasn't any major code changes to implement it. The gotcha this time was the "Play Unregistered". That was a bit of a pain. We checked out the way Pocket Legends implemented it, and did that. We also went to check out how Order and Chaos implemented "Play Unregistered" and it turns out they were able to by pass this requirement and force a sign up.

** FREE 3-MONTH SUBSCRIPTION GRANTED at your first log in! Then you can renew your allegiance for only $0.99/month, $1.99 for 3 months or $2.99 for 6 months! **
** IMPORTANT: Please make sure your device is compatible with this app. Compatible devices include: iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, iPod touch 3G & 4G and iPad 1 & 2.
A Wi-Fi connection and a Gameloft LIVE! account are required to play the game. **

I guess some are just exempt from the rules. That's the kind of stuff that drives me nuts. If you have rules in place they should be the same for everyone. I guess that's the problem with being logical and a programmer, and rules being based on who and how they are interpreted. If you have rules, apply them to everyone.

Our accounts work the same way as a Gameloft Live! account. It is able to cross games, and in fact your characters can be maintained across games as well, but that's another story...

idFREEK
05-12-2012, 12:57 PM
Can you clear up this for me, is the game that is for this release for the iPAD

"I'm also looking forward to the iPad version going live. That will be the next big release hopefully in the next month or two."

"** IMPORTANT: Please make sure your device is compatible with this app. Compatible devices include: iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, iPod touch 3G & 4G and iPad 1 & 2."

I have not read all the posts here so maybe i have missed something.

Thanks

zarkwizard
05-12-2012, 05:48 PM
Can you clear up this for me, is the game that is for this release for the iPAD

While it will run on the iPad, it doesn't use new layouts. The iPad 3 will use the Retina graphics. We are working on new custom layouts when we detect an iPad. That version is not in the build yet.

"** IMPORTANT: Please make sure your device is compatible with this app. Compatible devices include: iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, iPod touch 3G & 4G and iPad 1 & 2."

I guess it should say 3 as well on the iPad. I have been working on the code and have got the code back down to OS 4.2. For a time we moved to OS 4.3 for certain features. We'll see how things go with the code and if we will keep it on 4.2 for the next release.

idFREEK
05-12-2012, 11:16 PM
So if you a hoping to run this game on iPAD v1 it will run ?

While it will run on the iPad, it doesn't use new layouts. The iPad 3 will use the Retina graphics. We are working on new custom layouts when we detect an iPad. That version is not in the build yet.

I guess it should say 3 as well on the iPad. I have been working on the code and have got the code back down to OS 4.2. For a time we moved to OS 4.3 for certain features. We'll see how things go with the code and if we will keep it on 4.2 for the next release.

lordxorn
05-13-2012, 07:18 PM
I think it is safe to say "WE WILL ALL BE PLAYING MONDAY!!" WOOHOO! =P

zarkwizard
05-13-2012, 08:31 PM
I think it is safe to say "WE WILL ALL BE PLAYING MONDAY!!" WOOHOO! =P

Still "Waiting for Review"... If it gets too much later today I doubt it'll be Monday.. So far it's not looking promising. I really wish they had a position counter so you knew where you were in the queue. You are #723, avg wait time from this position 6 days....

Something like that would be awesome.

ravenzachary
05-13-2012, 09:10 PM
Still "Waiting for Review"... If it gets too much later today I doubt it'll be Monday.. So far it's not looking promising. I really wish they had a position counter so you knew where you were in the queue. You are #723, avg wait time from this position 6 days....

Something like that would be awesome.

I've never seen a Sunday status change on the two dozen or so apps I've submitted and follow-on updates. I've always been told Apple runs a six day week QA schedule for the App Store. I have seen Saturday status changes before.

DickDastardly
05-14-2012, 08:56 AM
I've seen updates released on Sunday's but that doesn't mean to say they check it on the Sunday. Personally i think Tuesday/Wednesday this week.

With regards to the position counter, i don't think it would count for much. I think certain companies get an easier pass with Apple. The smaller you are the less significant you are.

Daemonic Daz
05-14-2012, 07:39 PM
Finding myself still looking on here multiple times a day, surely the day of reckoning is at hand!

DickDastardly
05-14-2012, 08:09 PM
Finding myself still looking on here multiple times a day, surely the day of reckoning is at hand!

As do I! Hopefully soon!