PDA

View Full Version : Can you interupt ship orders?

VaporKnight
05-24-2012, 08:48 PM
Maybe this is by design, but I tend to send my probes as far as they can go.

The problem with this is that if I encounter a system with planets on the way and then I give the probe new orders to go back to that system... it doesn't seem to listen. It just keeps going to where I said the first time.

Do I have to manually cancel the first move order somehow? I only see self-destruct.

Thanks!!! Enjoying the game so far.

-VK

romars
05-24-2012, 09:04 PM
Good Question, i find it very confusing...

VaporKnight
05-24-2012, 09:06 PM
I thought I figured it out. In the "AI ships" menu if I click on the "circle with a line through it" a message pops up saying "Automation cancelled. Returning to human control."

That sounds like what I want, but it didn't seem to change anything. The ships destination is still the same and it is still "in transit" several squares later.

-VK

Tsagoth
05-24-2012, 09:10 PM
You can't redirect a ship in transit. As mentioned, you need to cancel the current order for the ship, it should stop at its current location, and then you can give it new orders.

VaporKnight
05-24-2012, 09:17 PM
You can't redirect a ship in transit. As mentioned, you need to cancel the current order for the ship, it should stop at its current location, and then you can give it new orders.

Hmm ok. Well as I said my attempt to cancel the order through the AI menu didn't work. I see the message pop up, but the ship keeps going (doesn't stop at its current location). Is there another way?

-VK

Tsagoth
05-24-2012, 09:25 PM
Currently that's the only way.

Marked
05-24-2012, 09:48 PM
cancellation of orders is not immediate. Call it space comm time lag or finishing last movement, it takes a minute or two for cancellation orders to be recieved. So yes your ship may move a block or two but it will stop and yo0u can issue it new orders.

VaporKnight
05-24-2012, 09:52 PM
cancellation of orders is not immediate. Call it space comm time lag or finishing last movement, it takes a minute or two for cancellation orders to be recieved. So yes your ship may move a block or two but it will stop and yo0u can issue it new orders.

Alright... maybe I can research better com lag... lol. My ship moved 15 squares (and reached it's initial destination) before giving control back to me. I was telling it to cancel again every 3 squares or so... maybe I was resetting the timer?

-VK

Marked
05-24-2012, 10:07 PM
Could be. I know that when I want to change planets my small harvesters are routing back and forth too, I have to tap the little brown square next to the planet, select one of the auto pilot ships and tell it to cancel automation. I then go do something else and check back on it and it will be off auto.

Now thinking about it this might be because the ship has reached last planet route destination. If thats the case then the above would hold true and you wouldn't be able to stop a probe in transit. I'll have to start playing with my probes and see what happens.

Tsagoth
05-25-2012, 02:25 AM
Part of the problem is the delay before the ship processes your order. After the ship enters orbit of wherever it is, it takes some time before it is ready to jump to the next leg of the trip. If you cancel the order to move, the ship won't actually process the order until it is ready to move, and that could be almost a minute or more, depending on the class of ship and how fast it moves.