PDA

View Full Version : game loses connection often

romars
05-25-2012, 04:19 PM
Like tittle say i loose often connection with the game
I mean like when i switch to other app or like 1 in 10 15 min, someone have the same issue?
Or when i try to select the sector where to move the ship...

P.S. sry 4 my english

zarkwizard
05-25-2012, 04:23 PM
Like tittle say i loose often connection with the game
I mean like when i switch to other app or like 1 in 10 15 min, someone have the same issue?
Or when i try to select the sector where to move the ship...

The lost connection happens because the game is based of TCP/IP. Apple will disable the TCP/IP connectivity if you put an app in the background unless it is a VoIP program, and some other special cases. If we tried to cut corners and enable that in the app we would have been rejected.

Since the game is a real MMO, and not a web based MMO it is a little more difficult to just pick up a connection much like WoW, or EQ, or other games of that type when you lose connection you end up at the login screen.

We are looking in to added functionality to connect you back in to the game in the case of a lost connection due to placing the app in the background. Hopefully we will have it taken care of in the near future.

romars
05-25-2012, 04:25 PM
Thx for answear, now i understand.
w8 for update ...

shadowkhai
05-25-2012, 04:35 PM
Would this also explain disconnecting when you're just idle in the game for a bit? I'm watching my probes flit around and I'll get the same disconnect message, even when I'm not leaving the app.

zarkwizard
05-25-2012, 04:56 PM
Would this also explain disconnecting when you're just idle in the game for a bit? I'm watching my probes flit around and I'll get the same disconnect message, even when I'm not leaving the app.

WiFi or 3G? while it can happen on either a dropped connection could just result in the devices dropping the connection or somehow the packets drop out of sync. In the next build that will go out we will install some better tracking for some of the events and see if we can track things down. There are so many moving parts in a game of this scale, and then factor in various devices, iOses installed, etc it can be very time consuming to try and test for every scenario.

Sadly iDevices can tend to be a little picky about WiFi, as well as 3g TCP/IP connectivity. Some dropped connections could just result in iOS terminating the connection to save your battery, if it detects nothing going on. We are looking in to maybe adding a keep alive pkt to stop the iOS from thinking your device isn't really using the connection.

shadowkhai
05-25-2012, 04:58 PM
3G currently, though I think it may be my signal at this point as I've been watching it now just to see if it'd happen again and it's not lost connection.

Ryland
05-26-2012, 01:57 AM
I've encountered a reproducible dropped connection. When I'm trying to compose an email to another player on Irkalla. After about 5-10 seconds in the compose screen, I'll get te Network connection drop message. The issue here that exacerbates the problem is that the keyboard remains up and cannot be dismissed, which obscures the dialog button to dismiss the message and return to the log in screen. As such, it appears the only way to get out of this state is to force quit the app.

This is frustrating, because it's keeping me from sending a trade proposal message, and I can't get it off, even with just pasting the message in. It drops before I can finish it.

Corinthian
05-26-2012, 02:07 AM
I've encountered a reproducible dropped connection. When I'm trying to compose an email to another player on Irkalla. After about 5-10 seconds in the compose screen, I'll get te Network connection drop message. The issue here that exacerbates the problem is that the keyboard remains up and cannot be dismissed, which obscures the dialog button to dismiss the message and return to the log in screen. As such, it appears the only way to get out of this state is to force quit the app.

This is frustrating, because it's keeping me from sending a trade proposal message, and I can't get it off, even with just pasting the message in. It drops before I can finish it.

I have had this problem as well consistently. I am forced to home button out and then actually close the app permanently before I am able to move from that screen.

SG7
05-26-2012, 02:56 AM
Yes, same problem for me. In any scenario, if the keyboard is open and the connection is lost then the app has to be killed.