PDA

View Full Version : How do you name your planets?

Seris
05-27-2012, 07:44 PM
Planet_01783 or whatever is a pretty bland and hard to remember type of name. So how do you guys name and keep track of your planets?

Personally, I am writing a scifi book (unrelated to this game), so I'm using the names of the planets, technology, characters and events to name my planets. How about you guys?

ChickenHawk07
05-27-2012, 07:49 PM
Well, my handle is ChickenHawk, so I name all my colonies and Terran worlds something to do with Pollo (Chicken in Spanish). Ex: Pollo Tropical (A water planet) LOL

Wrath
05-27-2012, 09:03 PM
I've been doing boring names - Planet_Water; Planet_Lava, etc. and something random but unique for the home planet.

VanderLegion
05-27-2012, 10:09 PM
I name each system I have planets in differently, so my Homesystem the planets are <System Name> Prime, <System Name> 2, etc till I've named all the planets. When I set up a colony or outpost in a new system I give it a new name and use the same naming scheme, prime for the first colony or outpost I set up, then 2 through whatver for the rest as I go. Currently, I've been stealing the system names from Starbase Orion :P

smith
05-27-2012, 10:37 PM
I just named a planet 'Planet Rock' (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hh1AypBaIEk) and I'm feeling pretty jazzed about that. Three guesses what material it was comprised of.

ChickenHawk07
05-27-2012, 11:04 PM
I just named a planet 'Planet Rock' (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hh1AypBaIEk) and I'm feeling pretty jazzed about that. Three guesses what material it was comprised of.

Crack? Diamond? Basketballs?

Balian
05-28-2012, 12:13 AM
I name my planets single words that could be used in a sort of utilitarian, propaganda sort of way like unity, loyalty, power, assimilation and so forth. :)

ChickenHawk07
05-28-2012, 12:49 AM
I name my planets single words that could be used in a sort of utilitarian, propaganda sort of way like unity, loyalty, power, assimilation and so forth. :)

Ah, that's cool, I like.

ravenzachary
05-28-2012, 06:21 AM
Colors. And, often galactic sectors, too, such as "Green 3,1"