PDA

View Full Version : How will you handle new player's starting midway through a 2 month cycle?

Kur
02-04-2011, 05:18 PM
As you're charging a subscription, a very minimal one but still, how are you guys planning to handle player's starting at different times disadvantaging those that start later? My assumption would be to have many servers with staggered start dates. I wanted to know if you guys have a clever in-game solve to this problem?

Wish you guys all the luck. I'm a big fan of 4x games and look forward to seeing what you do with it.

zarkwizard
02-04-2011, 09:17 PM
As you're charging a subscription, a very minimal one but still, how are you guys planning to handle player's starting at different times disadvantaging those that start later? My assumption would be to have many servers with staggered start dates. I wanted to know if you guys have a clever in-game solve to this problem?

Actually the game servers are spawned dynamically. Once a game starts a new game server spawns. So there is always a game to join. There are also "tutorial" servers for people to play on and get some experience if there happens to be a bit of a lull between one game starting and the next.

As a player you can be playing in multiple games at the same time. Although I would highly suggest starting your 2nd game after you are a month in the first one. Since most of the beginning of a game is building up and expanding your empire, as well as training it's a little slower in the first few weeks. Near the last month that's when you will probably start wars and have to be a little more focused. I suppose some people would be able to handle multiple end games going on at one time, but could be a little rough. I'm not micro-management enough for that.

So if you start, you won't even see a game that is already in progress unless you are a member of that specific game, you will only be presented with servers you can join. No game starts till either a close date is met, or the game fills. In either case once that happens the next game server will spawn.

Hope that answers your question. Feel free to ask anything else.

Kur
02-04-2011, 09:49 PM
Nice to know and thanks for the reply.