PDA

View Full Version : Name for squares in galaxy view

AntiHaze
05-30-2012, 05:25 PM
So in sector view, each square in the 25x25 grid is called a sector. But what do you call each square in galaxy view if the whole thing is one galaxy?

VanderLegion
05-30-2012, 05:27 PM
Actually, in the Galaxy view each square is a sector. In the Sector view, each squrare is a system (or empty space)

ChickenHawk07
05-30-2012, 05:31 PM
Actually I think it goes Galaxy (in the Galaxy view) then inside that there are 625 Sectors 25x25 and inside each sector is a system with planet's or nothing.

Hence the reason you give your coordinates like G 1,2 S 17,17 P 1 "P" being Planet.

AntiHaze
05-30-2012, 05:32 PM
*removed post*

AntiHaze
05-30-2012, 05:34 PM
Actually, in the Galaxy view each square is a sector. In the Sector view, each squrare is a system (or empty space)

That makes sense. It just confuses me sometimes when I'm reading posts on here.

Royce
05-30-2012, 06:44 PM
Though the whole picture does appear to be one galaxy, the display when selecting areas (each is named, like galaxy 3,1) leads me to believe each large square is considered a galaxy. Also, the SPARTAN reports detail the loss of a ship at a specific sector, referring to the smallest scale squares. So my take is it goes universe of galaxies, galaxy of sectors, each sector is a system or empty space.

ChickenHawk07
05-30-2012, 06:50 PM
Though the whole picture does appear to be one galaxy, the display when selecting areas (each is named, like galaxy 3,1) leads me to believe each large square is considered a galaxy. Also, the SPARTAN reports detail the loss of a ship at a specific sector, referring to the smallest scale squares. So my take is it goes universe of galaxies, galaxy of sectors, each sector is a system or empty space.

Exactly :-) yeah, I'm pretty sure this is spot on.

AntiHaze
05-30-2012, 09:41 PM
That's counterintuitive, because the galaxy view is a picture of a single galaxy. Sorry to be a nitpick here...

VanderLegion
05-30-2012, 09:46 PM
I look at that as Galaxy 3,1 being the sector located at location 3,1 on the galaxy map. System x,y would be the System located at location x,y on the Sector map. As AntiHaze said, there's only one galaxy, so having each square on the galaxy map be a galaxy makes no sense.

Royce
05-30-2012, 09:54 PM
I look at that as Galaxy 3,1 being the sector located at location 3,1 on the galaxy map. System x,y would be the System located at location x,y on the Sector map. As AntiHaze said, there's only one galaxy, so having each square on the galaxy map be a galaxy makes no sense.

This was my initial thought as well. However the spartan reports definitely call the smallest squares sectors. So there are two problems:

1. If "Galaxy X,Y" names a square within the galaxy, why does "Sector X,Y" name a specific sector, as can be seen in SPARTAN reports and the "unexplored sector" description, etc. It would seem both naming conventions should work the same way, i.e. "Thing X,Y" should in both cases name a square within the "thing", or a "thing" itself, not the one in one case and the other in the other case.

2. If the large view is a single galaxy, as it appears, and the smallest squares are sectors, as they are called, WTH do we call the middle size squares? :p

ChickenHawk07
05-30-2012, 09:55 PM
I don't know, we know for certain that there are lots of Galaxies in the known Universe. So I say what you call the Galaxy Map, I call the Universe Map.

VanderLegion
05-30-2012, 10:12 PM
Except that the Universe is made of lots of galaxies with even more empty space in between. We know what galaxies look like, the top level map clearly looks like a single galaxy.

ravenzachary
05-31-2012, 12:09 AM
I've had lively discussions with zarkwizard on this topic over the past few years. The Zarksoft devs call galaxy squares 'galaxies' and the level below those 'sectors'. I call them 'galactic sectors' and 'sectors'. I don't think a section of a galaxy should be called a 'galaxy', but hey, that's not my call. : )

ChickenHawk07
05-31-2012, 12:38 AM
I think I could get used to Galactic Sectors... But yes Vanderbilt, you are correct, it does look like a Galaxy, but I still don't think you can get away with calling it a Sector. Not unless the change the way you reference your full location. Galactic Sectors would change that, as it still starts with a "G". In the end, it's all semantics....