PDA

View Full Version : Attacking planets

Magorath
06-05-2012, 03:02 PM
I attempting to attack a planet with my fleet, I issue the orders get peace warning prompt click ok and start the attack and the ships graphically seem to do their thing but after that my game client seems to not communicate with the server anymore then eventually disconnects. Then have to fuss around connecting again and it all appears that I've done nothing and my fleet is sat in orbit no longer attacking.

Tsagoth
06-05-2012, 03:25 PM
What server ? What planet is the target ?

Magorath
06-05-2012, 03:46 PM
Irkalla Galaxy 4,0, Sector 16,11, Planet_45

The last fight seems to have done something, as I've lost a few ships, but not combat report.

Still having problems trying to re-egage with fight.

Edit:

It took a fair few attempts for anything to happen the first time. And should the fleet not continue attacking till one party is dead or told to retreat?

Tsagoth
06-05-2012, 05:02 PM
There is no retreat, it's all in til someone is dead.

Magorath
06-05-2012, 07:08 PM
So any idea what's happening with my fight?

Tsagoth
06-06-2012, 12:29 AM
Sorry, I've been asleep in my chair the last hour or so, I'll have a look.

Tsagoth
06-06-2012, 12:52 AM
The fight stopped, haven't determined why. You can try attacking again.

Edit: It looks like the server crashed during the fight.

Edit: it looks like you had so many ships that the watchdog thought the server was frozen and it killed it.

Magorath
06-06-2012, 05:27 PM
It happened again with the slightly reduced amount of ships. Not worth attacking anymore when i've got less ships the population now, I moved the remainder of the fleet away. Rebuilding my fleet and I'll try again once I'm back at numbers.

I presume that same thing happened again the second time around?

catswift
06-06-2012, 05:30 PM
This just happened to me on aruru. Attacked a home world with sufficient force to take it (confident in that, as I've taken one home world already). When the server came back, the combat has ended, I've lost half my ships (expected), but the planet remains in the other player's possession.

Tsagoth
06-06-2012, 05:33 PM
The problem is caused by the fact I have pretty detailed logging for combat activated. When there are too many ships, the thread gets very busy and the watchdog thinks the server has hung and then kills it and restarts it. Today's patch changes the freeze detection so that larger combats should complete properly.

catswift
06-06-2012, 05:43 PM
Are you able to roll back before the crash, or are we just SOL?

Tsagoth
06-06-2012, 05:54 PM
No, I can't roll back. I have removed the watchdog on Aruru, I see there is a large fight in progress right now.

catswift
06-06-2012, 06:02 PM
No, I can't roll back. I have removed the watchdog on Aruru, I see there is a large fight in progress right now.

Oh, peachy. Looks like the fully healed planet decided to kill what was left of my bugged fleet. I'm done on Aruru now, wasting days building 600+ ships to lose them all to this is too much.

ChickenHawk07
06-06-2012, 07:05 PM
Oh, peachy. Looks like the fully healed planet decided to kill what was left of my bugged fleet. I'm done on Aruru now, wasting days building 600+ ships to lose them all to this is too much.

Ouch.... Sucks man. Sorry for your losses. Hopefully removing the watchdog doesn't cause new problems to arise. Definitely sucks to lose that much time.

Glad they're getting it right quickly though.

mischmi
06-06-2012, 10:16 PM
600. omg. Thats crazy. Which planet. Maybe one of mine?

catswift
06-07-2012, 09:54 PM
Ok, round two. Attacked the same planet as before, this time with 584 cruisers and 134 battlecruisers. This time the planet no longer had any orbitals or anything, so it was a straight up fight. I have already taken a different home world with the same population, using less ships. This time, all my ships destroyed, planet remains in the other player's control.

Why did my bigger fleet not manage to take the planet?

Tsagoth
06-08-2012, 01:56 AM
Tell me the server and planet so I can pull the logs

catswift
06-08-2012, 01:59 AM
Aruru, Galaxy 3,0, Sector 12,9. The planet is probably Planet_288 (I do not know for sure, but 287, 286, and 285 are all in the same system)

Tsagoth
06-08-2012, 02:38 PM
I don't see that fight yet. I see you attacking Planet 79, which is a real homeworld and looks like you got slaughtered. The problem is you are using mostly cruisers and small ships don't do much damage to a planet.

catswift
06-08-2012, 03:21 PM
I don't see that fight yet. I see you attacking Planet 79, which is a real homeworld and looks like you got slaughtered. The problem is you are using mostly cruisers and small ships don't do much damage to a planet.

The planet currently named "Home 8" was a real home world which I have already taken with a force of about 60 bc and 560 cruisers. According to the current combat rules disclosed on the forum, and another player's helpful spreadsheet (sorry, I forget the name of the poster), that calculated enough to be able to take a home world with about 50% losses. And on the first test attack, it proved to be correct.

The second test attack (different home world) I had something around 580 cruisers and 120 battlecruisers. That encountered to watch-dog-killing-the-server-in-the-middle-of-battle-bug.

The third test attack (same home world as the second), I had 584 cruisers and 134 battlecruisers. More firepower than the original successful attack and capture of a home world.

Strongbad
06-10-2012, 12:50 PM
I'm going to have to voice in and say that the current mechanic is silly, there should be specific defenses that players can build that would do the similar trick, having an automatic death star that takes no player interaction to get is silly and counter to the point of the game.