PDA

View Full Version : Some questions

athros
06-08-2012, 04:26 AM
I've read Ravens guide, And I'm in 3 games thus far, and I feel like I'm missing something.

For note, I've been playing 4x games since MoO, so I generally know my way around them.

I feel like I'm moving too slow. On Ningal, I'm apparently so far behind, my outposts are getting taken, and I haven't even gotten to Offensive Initiative for destroyers (it just started an hour ago) so I've basically given up on that server. I took the Trader speciality. Is ere anyway to resign, and quit the server?

My general tech order (in 3 games) has been Advanced Shipyards, into Remote Harvesting and Advanced Materials collection, and generally a couple of other science techs...I think Planetology and Power Generation before snagging Offensive Initiative. I'm guessing that's way too slow.

Also, I send out outpost ships as fast as I can get them, but not a colony ship until I have just about 240k CO. I'm guessing that's too slow as well.

Anything I can do faster? Should I be moving Offensive Initiative up? I barely know what to look for to adjust my tech queue, and am really just looking for some other general advice.

GeeWhiz
06-08-2012, 04:53 AM
Move a colony ship into another galaxy where there is less competition. Protect your HW with a cruiser fleet (another player may come in and grab your outposts and I do not believe destroyers would work well against that particular strategy). I research Remote Harvesting first to get the better ship. then advanced shipyards, then fleet maneuvers for cruisers. Then I went advanced shipyards again. Not sure what to recommend exactly now with some of the changes occurring on future servers.

VanderLegion
06-08-2012, 05:37 AM
Definitely do remote harvesting before advanced shipyards. When the game starts, you don't HAVE a shipyard, so you don't get any benefit from AS until you get your fhirst shipyard done, which takes 24 hours. Since Remote Harvesting and Advnaced shipyards are both 12 hour research (unless a researcher of course), if you do RH first, AS will finish right at the same time as your first shipyard.

Xexist
06-13-2012, 05:05 PM
How does one start accumulating ore in the millions (billions?)

I mean tech for like an extra 10% resources for 1 planet if I put up a factory or whatever seems kinda weak? Or does it make more difference than I anticipate?

JetJaguar2000
06-13-2012, 06:16 PM
How does one start accumulating ore in the millions (billions?)

I mean tech for like an extra 10% resources for 1 planet if I put up a factory or whatever seems kinda weak? Or does it make more difference than I anticipate?

Many techs are largely pointless right now. Power Generation, for example, hardly feels worth it compared to Advanced Materials Collection. The bonuses are too small to be worth the time, especially in the early game. I have been ignoring Power Generation and Planetology lately, until I am convinced that they do something valuable.

Also, as a Trader you shouldn't need to learn too many ranks of Advanced Materials Collection before working on your military capability, since you gain resources so much faster than everyone else anyways. Once you reach some kind of equilibrium in terms of being able to defend your assets, then you can start pumping those up.

Xexist
06-13-2012, 06:39 PM
Many techs are largely pointless right now. Power Generation, for example, hardly feels worth it compared to Advanced Materials Collection. The bonuses are too small to be worth the time, especially in the early game. I have been ignoring Power Generation and Planetology lately, until I am convinced that they do something valuable.

Also, as a Trader you shouldn't need to learn too many ranks of Advanced Materials Collection before working on your military capability, since you gain resources so much faster than everyone else anyways. Once you reach some kind of equilibrium in terms of being able to defend your assets, then you can start pumping those up.

Im not actually a trader. I just want to start ranking in fat coin so I can spend it :D

JetJaguar2000
06-13-2012, 07:14 PM
Im not actually a trader. I just want to start ranking in fat coin so I can spend it :D

As of right now, that won't happen as a non-trader. I believe they are working on a major overhaul of the economic system that reduce the trader's monopoly on resources, but who knows when that's going in. I'm pretty convinced it isn't even possible for a Warlord to afford its end-game ship. The researcher fares a little better, but the trader still dominates in that department.

Also, keep in mind, Ningal is over a week old now. Assuming you've actually been playing regularly, at this stage you should have a lot of techs researched (you know you can queue up a bunch at a time, right?), and definitely something in the combat or fleet categories. You could maybe get away with delaying combat skills if you started in an uncontested area, but by now a lot of people are going to have big fleets of cruisers, and possibly better if they are focusing on combat. You may also have an aggressive neighbor. There is no point focusing exclusively on resource boosting stuff if you're not going to be able to defend your resources.