PDA

View Full Version : Research not working

GeeWhiz
06-08-2012, 09:05 PM
My research is not functioning. It has happened more than once. It was on advanced shipyards and did not rocked to hyperspace. I can only research advanced shipyards, nothing else works.

Space_Doogie
06-08-2012, 09:22 PM
I've been noticing my research acting a bit funny recently too. I wasn't too sure what was going on at first, but it looks like a tech won't start after the previous tech ended, though it actually is working(it usually will display correctly, eventually). Is that what you're talking about? If not... I have a bug to report! XD

Leedot
06-08-2012, 09:28 PM
My research is not functioning. It has happened more than once. It was on advanced shipyards and did not rocked to hyperspace. I can only research advanced shipyards, nothing else works.

I'm not sure what you're saying exactly - Do you mean you had Hyperspace Physics qued up to begin after Advanced Shipyards but it didn't start? Do you have all the required techs needed to research Hyperspace Physics? (you need at least one science tech from each of the previous tiers before you can begin researching Hyperspace Physics.)

Leedot
06-08-2012, 09:32 PM
I've been noticing my research acting a bit funny recently too. I wasn't too sure what was going on at first, but it looks like a tech won't start after the previous tech ended, though it actually is working(it usually will display correctly, eventually). Is that what you're talking about? If not... I have a bug to report! XD

So in your case you're saying that the research display isn't updating correctly after the previous tech finishes?

Space_Doogie
06-08-2012, 09:46 PM
Yeah, when a tech finishes, the next tech won't show that it has started up. At times, I've also had either a partial que or nothing at all showing up in my que(I think that's just been on Nergal, though I haven't had much time in game the past few days).

GeeWhiz
06-08-2012, 10:05 PM
In one case I had hyperspace in the queue and it did not proceed. Should it have gone to the one after it? I think that would be wise if anyone makes the same mistake (needing one of each type of science).

The day before nothing would progress in the queue- this involved other techs besides Hyper (same thing as space-doogie is experiencing)

Royce
06-08-2012, 10:55 PM
Ugh I was really busy this week so wasn't paying attention to my research. I had several techs lined up and figured I'd have a bunch of new toys to play with this weekend. I just looked and it appears my queue froze days ago. I'm wondering if it might be related to the fix of the queue skills bug since my last tech that finished was the last "hidden" tech upgrade I had in the queue.

Anyway, unqueueing and requeueing the skills got them moving again, but I lost a significant chunk of research time.

Edit: I just went back to my queue and advanced shipyards was sitting in position 1, and was not shown in the UI previously, so it was actually the one it froze on. Either that bug was not fixed and actually has gotten worse, or the fix is causing problems for people who had existing "hidden" tech in their queue.

Supamand
06-09-2012, 02:00 AM
I had this happen to. I had all right requirements, but the skill would not stop training. I had to remove all skills, then start training some lvl 1 skill then cancel the level one skill and set up my original skull that I was intending to train. Unfortunately I lost over 24 hours :(
And unfortunately I didn't send a bug report when it happened.

VanderLegion
06-12-2012, 05:32 PM
So I figured out what the problem is with the research queue:
Say you have advanced shipyards currently researching so you're queue looks like:
Advanced Shipyards Tier 1
xx% complete / Time Left hh:mm:ss Rank y/9

When you add a new item, say advanced materials collection, it should look like

Advanced Materials Collection Tier 1
Training Time 12:00:00 Queue: 1 Rank y/9

The problem occurs if you tap too many times on Advanced Materials Collection when you go to add it in the queue. If you tap it in quick succession, it'll add it in position 1, then instead of removing it when you tap again (again, if you tap quickly), it'll try to add it to the queue again, since there's already something in Queue: 1, it'll put it in Queue: 2, and since it's the same research item, the one in Queue 1 disappears, so you end up with:

Advanced Materials Collection Tier 1
Training Time 12:00:00 Queue: 2 Rank y/9

Note that this leaves you with a currently researching item and an item queued to position 2, but nothing in position 1. When the advanced shipyards finishes researching, it goes to start the next item but there's nothing queued up in position 1, so nothing starts researching. The Advanced materials collection never starts because it's in position 2, so it's waiting for the item in position 1 to start researching and the position to get bumped down. You can end up with things in higher positions as well. If you tap several times, you might end up with a current item and a Queue: 3 with nothing in Queue 1 or 2. When you get items in higher positions like that, you might have to remove the same item several times to get it out of the queue completely, then readd it to get it back in Queue: 1 so it works right.

Edit: For the devs - hopefully this is enough for you to find where the issue is and get it fixed in a future build as well :)

Space_Doogie
06-13-2012, 02:13 AM
Nice! That makes a lot of sense, I'm always messing with my queue! From now on, I'll try to pay attention to what I'm doing with research.

Royce
06-13-2012, 12:00 PM
That's not what's happening to me. I found my queue frozen again today. Again, I had "invisible" already learned skills I wanted to upgrade in the queue (invisible from that queue skills bug I thought was supposed to be fixed). Anyway. After that skill was trained, the next new skill (rank 0) froze in queue position 1 but didn't go active.

VanderLegion
06-13-2012, 06:52 PM
That's not what's happening to me. I found my queue frozen again today. Again, I had "invisible" already learned skills I wanted to upgrade in the queue (invisible from that queue skills bug I thought was supposed to be fixed). Anyway. After that skill was trained, the next new skill (rank 0) froze in queue position 1 but didn't go active.
Had you looked at it before it was frozen? If you have a current item researching and the next item is at Queue: 2 (as I showed above), then when the current item finishes, the Queue: 2 item drops to Queue: 1, but since there's nothing else ahead of it to finish researching, it never drops down again to being the current item.

Royce
06-13-2012, 08:37 PM
Had you looked at it before it was frozen? If you have a current item researching and the next item is at Queue: 2 (as I showed above), then when the current item finishes, the Queue: 2 item drops to Queue: 1, but since there's nothing else ahead of it to finish researching, it never drops down again to being the current item.
As I said, that's not what happened to me. I was not missing any queue positions.

DickDastardly
06-14-2012, 02:45 PM
So in your case you're saying that the research display isn't updating correctly after the previous tech finishes?

I'm guessing its the same with Graviton Physics? Same issue and lost a day and a half as i thought it was researching!

WhiteLion
06-14-2012, 07:44 PM
Funny I've been getting this bug too.

I also discovered a much more interesting bug.

While trying to diagnose the first bug I accidentally discovered how to train two skills at the same time. :D