PDA

View Full Version : Cartography

Niwininon
06-10-2012, 11:17 AM
Discovering the surroundings with probes is one thing. But it would be nice that after discovering planets, the game remembered the planets' and the players' names. Once you have discovered a planet you can only have these infos by getting back there with a ship.
So they can collapse stars into black holes, but have not yet discovered cartography? :)
And I would suggest a different color for players you are at peace with, embargoed or at war. That would make orientation on the map much easier.

Royce
06-10-2012, 05:27 PM
Problem is if you record player names on your map, what happens if someone takes over a planet already on your map? It wouldn't make sense that your map would automatically update itself after a battle if you weren't there. Personally I'd rather have no names on my map than potentially wrong names.

Niwininon
06-10-2012, 08:53 PM
True. I didn't mean to automatically update the infos. But is that not closer to reality to remember the last known intel. If you really want to be up-to-date, you would have to go back there. That would also give some importance to a real and continuous scouting.
Scouting all the galaxy early in the game has, for now, not much sense as I see it. There is almost no valuable info to gain by doing so. You just know, where the solar systems are...

zarkwizard
06-10-2012, 11:23 PM
We are looking in to some changes for this. Currently after you have seen a system you stay updated on the system. You just can't look at the detailed information. In the future we will probably allow you to see basic info on the planet but not the full details of a planet.

You will also be able to see all details of the planets in a given system if you have a ship or probe at the star.

2pourdrummer
06-11-2012, 12:00 AM
It would be nice to mark where a probe got lost. We get an email with a number that doesn't mean anything. Makes it hard to know where it is.

catswift
06-11-2012, 02:29 AM
It would be nice to mark where a probe got lost. We get an email with a number that doesn't mean anything. Makes it hard to know where it is.

+1 +1 +1 +1 +1

I have 10-14 ship building colonies, manually routing all ships built to a single rally point. One of those routes always encounters the same black hole, but damned if I can find it.

catswift
06-11-2012, 02:40 AM
Better yet, the fleets should automatically path around known blackholes unless specifically piloted into them.

Wrath
06-11-2012, 02:43 AM
I'm hoping eventually probes can send us an email scout report or something we can keep on record as a log of the information found at that time, with coordinates which hyperlink back to the sector for quick return. If it's been awhile since you sent the probe, you'd have to rescout for updated info, which is to be expected. (I've seen this functionality work in other games, it's pretty convenient.)

Balian
06-11-2012, 08:42 AM
I'd really really love for people to be able to see my planets names without having to maintain a prob on the planet. I think having a prob in the system should be enough for viewing names. I would also really like to be able to names stars, maybe allow whomever holds the majority of planets the ability to name that systems star. I also think it would be nice if the scouted info was generally in tact once found, but went black or greyed back into some generalized default after something changes. ex: planet ownership change. Perhaps Such info could be open via player discretion, if you are a friendly trader whom another scouts your general info stays up for said another, but if you change your diplomatic standing or go hostile on said player the general info is greyed out.

ChickenHawk07
06-15-2012, 08:50 PM
I'd really really love for people to be able to see my planets names without having to maintain a prob on the planet. I think having a prob in the system should be enough for viewing names. I would also really like to be able to names stars, maybe allow whomever holds the majority of planets the ability to name that systems star. I also think it would be nice if the scouted info was generally in tact once found, but went black or greyed back into some generalized default after something changes. ex: planet ownership change. Perhaps Such info could be open via player discretion, if you are a friendly trader whom another scouts your general info stays up for said another, but if you change your diplomatic standing or go hostile on said player the general info is greyed out.

I like these ideas a lot.

BAC33
06-28-2012, 11:59 PM

An automatic red X placed in that sector would be nice with the automatic removal of those Xs once hyperspace technology has been researched. The red X could also be used by the game to path around it.
Better yet, I would like to be able to add additional Xs - in my limited game play, I believe blackholes and suck in ships across several sectors?