PDA

View Full Version : Seagate problems...again

Tsagoth
07-29-2012, 03:21 PM
Another drive has failed in the array for the SQL server. It has just been replaced and the array is rebuilding, so performance will be subpar for the next twelve hours or so.

Really, don't ever buy Seagate ES drives.

ChickenHawk07
07-29-2012, 04:47 PM
Another drive has failed in the array for the SQL server. It has just been replaced and the array is rebuilding, so performance will be subpar for the next twelve hours or so.

Really, don't ever buy Seagate ES drives.

Man, that sucks! What number was that, 5?

Tsagoth
07-29-2012, 05:44 PM
I think so. There are four dead drives sitting in a stack at the colo and I have one here from November last year. I bought both machines the previous July, so these so-called Enterprise drives started failing after 16 months of operation. I swapped the whole SAS array out for SATA on the one machine in February, and when we run out of spares (4 left) for this machine, I might decide to swap the whole array to SATA as well. Now that SAS drives are back to $160 a drive rather than the $500 they were in January, we might buy a couple more spares instead.

BAC33
07-31-2012, 03:35 PM
Figures, I had a seagate drive fail in less than 2 years of at most, moderate usage. My son warned me not to buy another seagate. But I did, guess we will see how long this one lasts.

Tsagoth
11-19-2012, 03:51 AM
Well the colo called, lost another Seagate drive in the SQL server. For those keeping score that's nine drives in the last twelve months. Fortunately I just got a carton of warranty replacements a couple of weeks ago, so I expect I'll be making a trip down there to deliver the new spares and pick up all the dead ones.

ravenzachary
11-19-2012, 07:48 AM
Well the colo called, lost another Seagate drive in the SQL server. For those keeping score that's nine drives in the last twelve months. Fortunately I just got a carton of warranty replacements a couple of weeks ago, so I expect I'll be making a trip down there to deliver the new spares and pick up all the dead ones.

You beat my record for my 2006 MacBook Pro - six drives! It had a sleep bug in those days and it wasn't uncommon to shut the lid and for it not to actually park the drive head. It would bounce around and overheat in my backpack. They eventually got that fixed - six drives later.

Tsagoth
02-16-2013, 03:00 PM
Lost another Seagate drive this morning. Array rebuild in progress, etc. etc. Good thing I took the case of spares to the colo a few weeks back.

Tsagoth
02-23-2013, 09:55 PM
Lost another Seagate drive just now. Drive is being replaced as I type this. Rebuild to follow, etc. etc.

ravenzachary
02-25-2013, 02:24 AM
You are single-handedly proving the value of the industry moving to SSD.

Tsagoth
01-03-2014, 11:54 PM
Lost another drive today...ho hum...