Thread: Short status update

Short status update

We're still working on things here. I was part way into fixing push notification when I realized I needed to to make some changes to a couple of the databases. One of the problems is that when we had the trouble with subscriptions last year I had to switch DB vendors because I discovered that the software we were using was completely broken and there was no chance of it getting fixed. I last emailed their tech support some eight months ago and I've never heard back. I expect they're out of business. So at the time I bought what I thought was a decent package and that's what we used. The downside is the damn thing has very little useful documentation so it was a lot of trial and error to figure out how to use it. Fast forward to today. Pissed off at the useless doc and not great support, I bought -two- more DB packages. I started experimenting with the one, and ran a trial that imported the existing accounts database. It blew up on duplicate keys. It took me a bit to figure out that it really was a duplicate and not some typo on my part and then I was really irate. So this DB that we are using now allows for duplicate keys even when the index is specified as unique and it doesn't even throw an error. What a crock. Just as well we're getting off it.

Anyway, yesterday I finished the first phase of changes to the accounting backend to get us off the buggy software we're using. Now that I have that new stuff in place I can go back to working on push.

We're adding in the ability to go back and pull up the scores for the games you've played in previously to the client as well. We're also about half-done with fixing the business of subscriptions not always getting registered after purchase.

Anyway as far as push goes, I think to start I'm going to clip it at 5 pushes per hour. For Build Completions, only Orbitals and ships of Battleship class or larger will qualify.

That's all for now.

Oh yeah. Now my tractor needs a new head gasket. Fun times.

I've been posting some updates to the login server, so if anyone has problems creating characters speak up.