Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Strategies

there must be more stats than just offense and defense. Either there are turret tracking stats like in eve-online or its more of a rock paper scissors bonus system.

It would be great if we got a detailed description of how the combat system works so we can start playing with numbers.
    --- *Member of the SCAT alliance* ---
    My device: iPod Touch 4G

Ahhh. Yeah, that's something we will have to see when combat is up. It sounded like they had hidden counters making particular units better then others, so we shall see how that works.

I'm trying out the combat way. I need action!

Yeah, I know what you mean. I think it all depends on how the combat system actually works.

Quote Originally Posted by Cheerio View Post
    Well I'm wondering more in terms of how fighters get owned by destroyers but do well against capital ships, if there's come sort of imbalance with defences
    A destroyer can take out six fighters per combat round. Fighters do quad damage against the large ships. It's a starting point.

Quote Originally Posted by Spartanius View Post
    No. I guess you could try to calculate is based on their attack value. We have been told it would take 3 cruisers to take out a claimed planet so find out how many fighters have an equivalant attack value minus the attack value of the carrier and thats how many you will need.
    In the new mechanic it actually takes 4 cruisers to one shot the mining colony. In the process you will lose 1 cruiser. 3 vs the mining colony would be dicey.. It could work, but you will probably lose 2 in the best case scenario. Most times you'll die. 4 cruiser do the Goldielocks damage amount.

Fighters do great against big ships. Since they are such a little target it's hard for the big ships guns to target them. Unless it's something that is specifically designed to kill fighters like Destroyers. We took a little of that from EvE. We use to play a frigate corp of mercs in the early days of eve, and a group of 20 of us would lock down Tier 1 & 2 battleships and kill them. Sure a few us might get killed in the process, but it was pretty rare. Even when we did get killed it didn't matter since frigates cost nothing to produce.

Some things to keep in mind.. There is a max object count you can have. Basically anything you put in space counts toward your object count. You have have up to 1000 items. Ships / Orbitals. You can either add shipyards + 10 objects, and there is now a skill in fleet that allows a multiplier to shipyards +10 per rank. So you can get up to 100 objects per shipyard. You don't need the skill though, you could just build shipyards. It's the only item that won't count towards your object count. So having 100 ship yards doesn't mean you only get 900 objects, you still get the 1000.

If you have 1000 objects and 100 shipyards, and you end up losing 10 shipyards, you won't lose any ships, but you can't build anything above 900, till you replace the shipyards you lose (assuming you had no bonuses from skills).

We'll add something to the interface to help you keep track of your object counts.

*Edit due to achieving comprehension of attacking*
    So, what are the best trade strategies?

Build up a few core planets, set harvest routes, mine colonies to feed into larger colonies then slowly grow out . . .

Perhaps early detection of other homeworlds will allow a fleet of sappers - harvesters that deplete your neighbour's nearby resources limiting their expansion?
    Last edited by adam__moore; 04-14-2011 at 01:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by adam__moore View Post
    Perhaps early detection of other homeworlds will allow a fleet of sappers - harvesters that deplete your neighbour's nearby resources limiting their expansion?
    You cannot harvest a planet which is not yours, so that won't work. It's an idea though that I'll keep in mind.

Now with the new changes to the server and clients, are any of your strategies going to drastically change?

I think that the biggest changes that will alter my strategy will be the change to starting with the harvesting skill as well as the money. Any thoughts?

its really going to all depend how expensive it is to set up colonies and what not. id rather skip the whole mining part if they're anywhere near in value and only set up colony planets for the increased defense and production capacity. ill have to see when we get back on
    SCAT - who needs guns when you have RO