Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Data Usage

Data Usage

Hey guys. I was just thinking about the game and using it while on 3G instead of wifi. My question to you is do you have an idea of how much/little of a data hog this game is? This is important to some people (such as myself) as some of us only have the bare minimum data plans.

Not a good one anyway. I think the last time I checked the switch logs, it was showing an avg 150k/bits for the game as a whole, but that average includes me using FTP to send new builds up. Apart from the initial map send, it should not be a lot, most responses are under 50 bytes, some of the larger ones might run a few hundred bytes, like a sector initial display. That's one of the things on the to-do list is get more granular details on individual socket usage.

It worked fine over a 3G connection last weekend - not really a noticeable lag on any actions or displays - apart from initial sector renders - so usability-wise it seemed fine - I sometimes run with access via an android-driven hotspot so I could provide some data send/receive figures for a session if that will help?

I think the issue would be more about data usage then lag. Not wanting to use up the amount of usage. But IMO Tsagoth answered that question.

yeah it would be good to know what the average is just playing the client. with 150k/bits a second then If I played 30 minutes of of 3G a day that would be about 1 gig a month.
    --- *Member of the SCAT alliance* ---
    My device: iPod Touch 4G

Yeah, but it also depends on how much you play. They did mention that this game is going to be one that you only would need to play about 10min a day.

150 kb/s? The maximum I can get over wifi is about 60/70 kb/s at the moment... :-(

What kind of router do you have?

We recently received a new Arcadyan ARV7519, but that didn't fix the problem. It's our isp that's messing with us. We're actually paying for 3mb/s but we only got a max of 350 kb/s a few years ago. It keeps getting lower and lower and now it's at 60/70 max :/

But this is not a problem to solve on this forum :P

Ah. Well I wish I could help! Call them about it