Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Latest server build

Latest server build

A new server build was installed yesterday. This one is based on the new compiler and development environment that we had to quickly put in place after the old one showed that it was not equal to the task.

So far it is looking better. A lot of the random failures and deadlocks no longer appear to be happening.

I did introduce one change. Ships entering orbit now check their standing to other players, and if warranted, a fight will automatically start. I have personally tested this against the Spartan homeworld and it works just fine.

That's what was happening!
    What if they are in fleet form? I've had some trouble starting combat in and out of fleet.
    SCAT - who needs guns when you have RO

Quote Originally Posted by Cheerio View Post
    What if they are in fleet form?
    There are still some problems with fleets. Now that I'm done having to reinvent everything, I'm looking into the combat issues.

And after combat issues are sorted we will get a reset? I have pretty much stopped playing for now until we get a reset or combat and lag are completely fixed.
    --- *Member of the SCAT alliance* ---
    My device: iPod Touch 4G

Quote Originally Posted by Spartanius View Post
    And after combat issues are sorted we will get a reset? I have pretty much stopped playing for now until we get a reset or combat and lag are completely fixed.
    We're tentatively planning to reset Saturday May 7, along with releasing a new client.

I'm ok with a full reset and a new universe, but I'm not sure how the other players feel. I went down the Combat skills tree and wouldn't mind trying another strategy for a new game.

I would love a reset.

There is also another change that we will probably be implementing on the Tutorial game servers. Since people start at different times, and someone could start on the server a week after everyone else home systems will not longer be capturable at all. You will no longer be able to take over the planets in someones home system.

This will allow people freedom to experiment within their home systems safely, and not terminate them from the game a day after they start. We will create a flag for home systems, so you'll be aware when you have located one. Everything else in the universe is free game though.

When the Tutorial servers go live we will probably be implementing a planet cap as well. So you won't be able to just acquire everything within the universe. Game server will not have this same protection. Since everyone starts at the same time everyone will have the same things available to them.

I think GM homeworlds should still be capturable. Especially Tsagoth's :P

Oh and Thr 7th is my birthday so thanks for the present
    --- *Member of the SCAT alliance* ---
    My device: iPod Touch 4G

Quote Originally Posted by zarkwizard View Post
    We will create a flag for home systems, so you'll be aware when you have located one. Everything else in the universe is free game though.
    Could I possibly suggest something lightweight like a star colour or animation - the spinning pulsar maybe?