Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Newb questions

Newb questions

Having trouble figuring out mining/harvesting. I have my mining colony ship, and I ordered it to land. It said it would be a new outpost. I have my small harvester around the planet as well. How do I extract the ore?

If you select the small harvester there should be a button next to the move command that looks like a planet with an arrow coming out of it. That's the harvest button. Once you've pressed it you'll see some new buttons come up to set a source / destination planet. Once the command is confirmed your harvester will start collecting ore from your mining colony and taking it to it's destination planet.

So set the source and destination and the small harvester should harvest? This is harder than I thought it would be

I think I got it. They are going back and forth between planets. Is there a way to kind of see what is assigned to each ship? This could get confusing down the road when I have a bunch of ships and forget what is doing what.

Edit* think I found the answer for this too.
    Last edited by roywall; 09-12-2011 at 05:16 PM.

Just an opinion but it seems a little redundant so have the buttons for source and destination planets appear above the planet you click on and in the upper right corner. Probably having the icons show up in one or the other spot would be sufficient.
    Part of the Faceroll Fiery_Spartan_Spoon Alliance Cheeritrom Brigade

Quote Originally Posted by Trom View Post
    Just an opinion but it seems a little redundant so have the buttons for source and destination planets appear above the planet you click on and in the upper right corner. Probably having the icons show up in one or the other spot would be sufficient.
    People like them in different places. Maybe it should be an option in where you want the menu to show. On the planet, or under the top bar. I guess what would have to happen then in cases like navigation where you can set it on a sector, I would need a menu to appear on the sector, like it does on the planet. So you would end up with [Enter Sector] [Select - if nav active].

We'll give it some thought. For now though I don't expect it to change.

Can someone give me some general direction as what to do? So much to do here.

- I have a mining colony ship on a planet in another solar system. Can't do anything there yet though.
    - I have 2 small harvesters harvesting a planet near my original homeplanet.
    - Currently building my first orbital shipyard.
    - I have 3 probes just scouting around my area. I have already found a few players.

Thanks in advance

Sounds like you're off to a good start. Generally when I start playing the first thing I do is build one harvester for every planet in my home solar system and get them started with transferring resources to my home world. From there I build some probes and set them to exploring the galaxy. While I'm waiting on those guys to build I then go over to the tech tree menu and choose a specialty and get started with researching new technologies. Next I'd start planning out what solar systems you want to expand out to.

Where you go from there depends on your play style / specialty, etc.

roywall: Mining colonies will not produce a population. Only a colony ship will do that. Mining colonies will make it so a planet will produce resources that you can harvest. Imagine putting a drilling platform in the ocean. A real population isn't there, but instead you have workers extracting the materials for you. Once you have that in place you can send harvesters there to start collecting the ore.

Generally what I do to start is - Jump to my homeworld, go to the build menu start a ship yard. Then I go to skills choose my specialty, and queue up a few skills (Since I chose researcher I knew the first skill would complete while I was sleeping). I generally queue up skills to get me defensive abilities so if someone decided to attack me I'd be able to defend myself. I queue up to Stealth Orbitals.

I then return to my planet and create a few probes, and a few small harvs, and start harvesting my local system saving up for a colony ship, so I can expand my population. You require an actually colony to have the colony grow. Every 100 million in population you get 1 factory, to a max of 9 factories on a single planet.

There is no special way to build, and you sound like you are on a good route already. With the new game everyone is in the same boat, so many new options and so many different ways to grow your empire. Feel free to post questions. We will do all we can to try and answer them.

I see I see. Thanks for the great info.

Is there any way to see how much each harvester is grabbing each time it makes a trip back to my homeworld?

Edit- I just noticed my Orbital Shipyard said it should take 24 hours to build when I gave the order, yet its showing -329% complete and time left 102:57:10.
    Last edited by roywall; 09-12-2011 at 10:56 PM.