Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Newb questions

Quote Originally Posted by roywall View Post
    Is there any way to see how much each harvester is grabbing each time it makes a trip back to my homeworld?
    Yes and no. It is built in to the client to support that, but we have to fix one of the server packets before the data will show up.

Quote Originally Posted by roywall View Post
    Edit- I just noticed my Orbital Shipyard said it should take 24 hours to build when I gave the order, yet its showing -329% complete and time left 102:57:10.
    We are aware of this. It's actually a time display bug, the yard will still finish in the correct amount of time. When the server is corrected it should go to the proper time.

Also you said you have a pair of mini-harvesters collecting from Thr same planet in your home system. One miniharvester is more than enough to harvest from a planet in your home system. Send the second harvester to a different planet. A single miniharvester is even enough if it is harvesting from a planet in an adjacent system from you. Once the planet is 2 or more systems you need to use a full size harvester or cargoship
    --- *Member of the SCAT alliance* ---
    My device: iPod Touch 4G

Quote Originally Posted by Spartanius View Post
    Also you said you have a pair of mini-harvesters collecting from Thr same planet in your home system. One miniharvester is more than enough to harvest from a planet in your home system. Send the second harvester to a different planet. A single miniharvester is even enough if it is harvesting from a planet in an adjacent system from you. Once the planet is 2 or more systems you need to use a full size harvester or cargoship
    How does mining work in terms of numbers? Do my outposts have a capacity of mining ships they can handle at a certain time? Or is it based on the rating of the planet? For example, I have a rock planet with +1Ku CO in the same solar system as my homeworld. I have 4 Small Harvesters and they have a 250u capacity. Does that mean that any more than 4 of these set up on a harvesting route with the rock planet will not be of any use (ignoring RO)?

Does each of my colonies have it’s own store of CO/RO to use? I have come to this conclusion based on the fact that I have no total CO/RO counter in the interface.

How do I get my ships to stop where they are if they are set to go somewhere? I had my probes go all the way across my quadrant and they discovered some planets along the way, but I couldn’t stop and send the probes to the planets to look at them until the original waypoint was reached. Not only that, but when I click on something that is in transit, I have no idea where it’s going or even that it’s going anywhere.

Why can’t I rename my star?

There is no resource pooling across planets (unless you are a Trader and you have a high-level skill). You can move resources around with ships. You will use harvesters/cargo ships as much for moving resources between planets as you will for mining resources. Setup routes to bring resources from mining outposts into colonies, especially colonies that have shipyards.

Stars don't have names, planets do. Stars are just coordinates. You can only rename planets that you colonize or place a mining outpost on.

OK so I have to bring the resources to the planet where I will be building stuff, but how do I know what the efficient number of harvesting ships is just by looking at the planet (e.g. CO +1Ku, RO +0u)?

In economics terms, when does the marginal utility of an extra harvester equal zero?

Great questions. I am sure there are mathematical formulas to figure all of this out. What I do is simply keep building harvester/cargo ships until I get the proper balance. If I over-build ships, I generally reallocate a few of them later. Watch resourcing levels and determine if you need more or less and then tweak accordingly.

On the menu where you build ships if you touch the 'more' button under item details you can see the stats for a ship including it's speed and cargo capacity so that should help with your calculations.

The number by the + indicates how many resources of that type a planet gains per hour.

If you look at your ships under the global ship menu all ships that are currently active are listed under the AI Ships tab. If you then select a particular ship it will tell you where it's headed and you can jump to it's location or cancel it's movement. I'm not sure if it stops immediately or finishes moving first though, I know that was a change on the list but I don't recall if it went through just yet.

If I'm correct in assuming that every time the harvester goes from the mining planet to drop off the cargo and it's at full capacity (250u for a small harvester), then one should definitely be enough for a planet with an output of 1000u/hour because the harvester does a mining cycle every few minutes (when it's in the same solar system). I guess this gets more complicated once you are mining outposts that are several sectors away and you have to factor in the time it takes to get from your colony to the outpost. The time it takes alone is worth it to use a harvester with a higher capacity so you can fully utilize the output of the outpost.

You got it. Generally for the early planets you just need a small harvester. As you said though, when you start dealing with planets that are further away you have to take in to account the time it will take your ship to fly to the other sector and back.

Where you generally fill up a ship is when you start trading. If you find a good planet that someone is maintaining a lot of ore at, like a home world, or another colony and they keep a lot of ore there then trading with them will pretty much always fill your ship to capacity. I'm not going to bring in the trader and how he has the ability to short change you, but generally speaking trading is an excellent way to get resources.

There are also several skills that help with resource generation in the later game, so moving to bigger ships makes it easier if you have higher resource techs.

On a side note.. one thing to keep in mind about Mining Outpost ships, and Colony ships is when you land them on the planet the resources it took to build the ship are now available on the planet. Those are 2 ships you don't lose the resources for. Keep in mind though it could make the planet interesting for other parties...

Outpost Ship

I sent my first Outpost Ship to create an outpost on a lava planet at a star system a couple sectors away from my home planet. However, the ship just sat there orbiting the star once it got there and won't respond when I tell it to orbit the planet, or leave the sector. It is stuck
    Last edited by AntiHaze; 05-24-2012 at 09:49 PM.