Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Still waiting...

It does seem rather amazing to me that they have no one in Apple in charge of games, which the app store has just recently reached 25 billion downloads. Of course I don't know how many are game, but I am assuming the large majority are going to be games.

The fix to Apple that would please everyone, would be to handle subscriptions the same as in app purchases. I am assuming they charge a percentage of those purchases, so why not treat subscriptions the same?

Sometimes large companies really surprise me, coming from a business major, that they treat games like a hobby and not the multi billion dollar industry it is.

Quote Originally Posted by lordxorn View Post
    The fix to Apple that would please everyone, would be to handle subscriptions the same as in app purchases. I am assuming they charge a percentage of those purchases, so why not treat subscriptions the same?
    Actually in the case of a subscription Apple still takes a cut of 30% off every monthly transaction.

Quote Originally Posted by zarkwizard View Post
    Actually in the case of a subscription Apple still takes a cut of 30% off every monthly transaction.
    Then why are they worried about your game cutting into their profits?

Quote Originally Posted by lordxorn View Post
    Then why are they worried about your game cutting into their profits?
    I don't believe that is the case. From my understanding they said Apple stated they don't allow anything other than periodicals to have recurring monthly subscriptions. However, Pandora Radio has recurring monthly subscriptions and I don't think they fall into the category of "periodicals". So, who knows.

Hmm interesting fact about Pandora! I've been using it for over 5 years now and it had the paid option way before the app came out. But wile you are using an app, you have an option to log in into your paid account or listen to it for free.
    The tricky thing is, Pandora app is just a portal or a link so to say to their already existing services (which could be accessed thru a webpage).
    Satellite radio has the same option, Sirius has an app which allows you to listen to the radio by using your existing account.

If the argument is to be presented, I'd say the one app that should be targeted is AT&T GPS app. They have a subscription built in, even under the description of the app it tells you that you will be charged monthly fee from the point you install their application.

(just checked the app store and AT&T GPS app is still around and they charge you 9.99 a month).

My thought on the issue is if you don't want to rebuild the game completely do that players but an ingame subscription (such as done in Chaos and Order), and apple does not allow you to use subscription thru the app store; simply set up a use login on your webpage for paid members.
    I think that's been a way all p2p MMO's been done before app world...
    You register on a webpage, pay on the webpage, and play the game via game client (which in this case would be an app).
    Let me know what ya think about my crazy ideas

Quote Originally Posted by Supamand View Post
    You register on a webpage, pay on the webpage, and play the game via game client (which in this case would be an app).
    This would be a quick solution to the problem, but you have to think about someone who is browsing the App Store, sees this game and downloads it, and then is prompted to visit an external site to pay... someone. Sounds sketchy, right? That would most likely lead to bad reviews, accusations of a scam, etc. I'm willing to bet most people wouldn't even go to the website.

IMO, the best bet is to be UP FRONT in the app description that there will be IAP's of $1.99 for a month of play so that people who are checking it out aren't misled into thinking it's just another free game. This will lead to a star rating on the App Store that is more reflective of the opinions of people who are actually playing, and all of us here will be giving it 5 stars, I'm sure.

Of course, I don't know which way would bring more attention to the app: having more downloads or having a higher rating.

Actually according to the rules, we are not allowed to even reference an outside subscription service in the application. We aren't allowed to even direct you to anywhere to sign up. ie - NetFlix as an app. Download that and you will see that all we could do is present the user with the log on screen.

That is one of the reasons we had to go with the method we are working on. Pretty much for the reasons AntiHaze listed. It's in the app, we are upfront about it, and there is no confusion as to how it works. We want to be fair, and forward with people. We are trying to make things as easy for the user as we possibly can. We are getting pretty close to having all the new code working the way we want it to. We'll post some screen shots of it all in the next little bit so you can see it. LeeDot made some changes to the FB site, and added the iTunes store screen shots for the game there if you haven't seen them: https://www.facebook.com/ZarkSoft