Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Launch Update - Submission Rejected

Launch Update - Submission Rejected

Hi everyone,

I'm very sad to say that our Empire of the Eclipse has been rejected by Apple. Specifically we've been told that their subscription system is not intended for use by apps that are not periodicals.

As you'll hopefully understand this leaves us in quite a bind as our entire business model is centered around Empire being a subscription based game. We've submitted an appeal to Apple and in the meantime we're working on hashing out some alternatives approaches. Our focus remains to provide everyone with a truly competitive online experience and whatever solution we come up with will be made with that in mind.

Realistically we're probably looking at a month or more to retool the game, test out the new changes, and then resubmit to Apple.

Thank you for your patience and if you have suggestions on how you think we should go about monetizing the game we're happy to listen. Keep in mind though that as an online game we have ongoing costs that make a free or single purchase option unsustainable for us.

Sorry to hear that, guys. I guess I can stop checking the AppStore every hour now. Its unfortunate that Apple is giving you such a hard time while allowing broken/illegal apps onto the store by the buschel.

As for a solution: Order & Chaos Online has been using a subscription model for the year or so it's been out. You buy game time in 1, 3, or 6 month packages that are bought as an IAP. There is no recurring charges with this but you could offer long-term packages at a discount to recoup some of the lost income from running subscriptions. I don't know the technical workings behind this but it might be worth a look.
    Last edited by Snax; 03-12-2012 at 10:03 PM.

^ this is what i was thinking.
    SCAT - who needs guns when you have RO

We can't really say much at this time as to our plans if our appeal is denied. We are working on other options just in case, but no matter the option it'll take time, since it wasn't designed in to the system. As soon as we hear back from apple good or bad we'll be sure and post our direction, and plans.

We really hope to work with the system we have in place, since it works. Having to think about or design another system is not something we desire.

I pay for a subscription to order& chaos. Is it not possible to apply the same template to your game?

Having looked at Order and Chaos it looks like they're using a consumable IAP that adds time to your subscription but they're not actually using Apple's subscription system. We could and may do something like that it's just a very different approach then what we're currently doing.

They won't let you just handle payment offline? In WoW, you had to handle payment through the website. The client didn't take payment at all, as far as I know.

I'm surprised they didn't mention this when you guys made special arrangements with them to get extra beta keys when you opened up the beta.

Quote Originally Posted by fieryspoon View Post
    They won't let you just handle payment offline?
    I believe Apple is very resistant to external payment systems. They take a cut of all AppStore purchases. An external payment system would cut them out of the bargain.

It's unfortunate that they put obstacles in the way of their own business model then!

Quote Originally Posted by fieryspoon View Post
    It's unfortunate that they put obstacles in the way of their own business model then!
    It is a little disappointing for everyone I assure you. We have worked out a new model, and hopefully we will have it up sooner than later. LeeDot, will probably post something in the near future.