Thread: Article: Launch Update - Submission Rejected

Article: Launch Update - Submission Rejected

Sorry to hear that, guys. I guess I can stop checking the AppStore every hour now. Its unfortunate that apple is giving you such a hard time while allowing broken/illegal apps onto the store by the buschel.
    As for a solution: Order & Chaos Online has been using a subscription model for the year or so it's been out. You buy game time in 1, 3, or 6 month packages that are bought as an IAP. There is no recurring charges with this but you could offer long-term packages as a discount to recoup some of the lost income from running subscriptions. I don't know the technical workings behind this but it might be worth a look.
    Last edited by Snax; 03-12-2012 at 08:38 PM.

I am surprised they do not have more of a built in package for devs to incorporate into their pricing models, like Snax mentioned their are a plethora of games on the store that use something similar.

Anyways, this is sad news indeed. I guess I will have to occupy myself with other games for the moment.

Thanks for the update!

It is unfortunate.

Could you simply have a pay per game/month model? Giving the players the option to buy 1, 3, 5, 10 games/months at a time via an in game purchase?

Notifications then sent when approaching the time for renewal?

It would mean people and caught into subscriptions and pay for what they're happy to do so up front? Subscriptions for me always fall badly for time! Xbox live for instance is renewed the day before payday!

Quote Originally Posted by DickDastardly View Post
    It is unfortunate.

Could you simply have a pay per game/month model? Giving the players the option to buy 1, 3, 5, 10 games/months at a time via an in game purchase?

Notifications then sent when approaching the time for renewal?

It would mean people and caught into subscriptions and pay for what they're happy to do so up front? Subscriptions for me always fall badly for time! Xbox live for instance is renewed the day before payday!
    That's exact what Chaos and Order is using, and that game has great subscription success... I'm rather disappointed, but hoping that it won't take much longer to modify the game for in game subscription purchase as was done in other apple games.

Listen, you guys have come this far. Don't let it break your spirit. I am a firm believer in dreams and destiny, this is your dream and your destiny. Think of it as more time to polish. I believe in you guys. If chaos and order can do it why can't you. In the mean time get the little things in the final build that you didn't get to put in. While we are waiting I think everyone who is on the forum should help promote this game, add it to your facebook, twitter. They have worked on this for 3 years, taken time away from family and friends, to bring something to us for our entertainment its time for use to help and do our part and promote for its success.

Thanks everyone for the offers of support - I didn't mean to convey that we've lost hope, it's more we've just encountered a temporary stumbling block. On the upside there's a ton of really tiny cosmetic fixes that went in after our submission build that will now be in the release build so as you say it means the first release will be that much more polished.

Sad to hear, hopefully it doesn't take you guys too long to re-tool your model towards a non-auto renewing IAP for X months game time model, similarly to what Order & Chaos has successfully been using. Theirs isn't auto-renewing due to Apple's rules either, the game keeps track of your game time though on the login screen and notifies you when it's about to expire allowing you to extend it via further IAP (essentially a timed consumable costing 0.99, 2.99, 5.99 depending on how many months 1, 3, 6). You're locked out of logging into the game servers without an active subscription IAP.

They also offered 3 months free with the purchase of the game itself, similarly to what PC MMOs are doing with the "first 30 days free".

From the Order & Chaos Online FAQ:
    The initial purchase includes three months of play time; after that, additional months cost $0.99, 3 months for $1.99, or 6 months for $2.99.

Alternately, could you do a $1.99 PIA that gets you access to a majority of the game's ships for the course of 1 month?

I'll add that this is the first/only iOS app that I've really been looking forward to playing.

Damn! I've also been checking almost everyday for the app to drop as well. Now I see this :-( Yeah, I'm surprised they dont allow a monthly recurring pay option. Pandora Radio does it. I can't remember how they did it, but I think it was a seperate purchase through the app store, not an IAP. Maybe they'll allow you to do something along those lines. Check into how Pandora does it.

Here's an excerpt from my monthly renewal of my Pandora account:

Dear H***,
    Your subscription to Pandora Radio will automatically renew on 02/10/12

To cancel auto-renewal or manage your subscriptions, click below and sign in to your account.
    Go to iTunes.

Regards,
    iTunes Store Team