Thread: Lets be friends...

Lets be friends...

So whilst I'm coding away my final piece of coursework for university, playing Diablo 3 and generally busying myself. I'm taking this time to make some friends in another title I have eagerly anticipated for the past two months... A beer to the man/woman who can guess what that title is...

Joking aside, I didn't partake in the beta plays and although I've glanced over the tutorial video's I learn better doing rather than watching. Therefore I'm taking the pre-game tactical move to make some friends so I have a higher chance of survival!

Most likely I'll be playing a supporting role and be some sort of Miner/Trader in the first game just to get a feel for it and to see what I can do. If I'm the kind of guy someone would like on their side then I'll gladly extend the olive branch to them, also feel free to threaten me with extinction, hostility and general bad manners.

Hope to see you in game soon.

Daemonic Daz

Trader is a great choice for an initial player as you'll have more resources to build and experiment. Ultimately, I landed with Researcher as my preference, but it's a bit more tricky to manage due to resource constraints. Warlord is a good option for PVP types.

My player name is 'Raven'. Feel free to reach out to me in-game for advice (or here on the forums, of course).

Trader would definitely be a good choice for you to start with. You will be able to leverage yourself as being a benefit to many other players and it could help you gain protection from them.

As far as making potential allies, I found that the best made plans for alliances outside of the game fell apart quickly as the game randomly places all the players around the map. Your potential allies could end up being on the complete opposite side of the map from you. You are probably better off finding out who is near you at the beginning and befriending them. That being said if you need any help in-game I will definitely be available. My in-game name is Trom.
    Part of the Faceroll Fiery_Spartan_Spoon Alliance Cheeritrom Brigade

OMG.. Don't trust Raven and Trom.. They'll kill you in the blink of an eye.. for the right resources... Oh no wait that's Spartanius.

Actually it's pretty good advice, a trader is a really good support role, while working on earning an economic victory. Traders are great, in fact the best at acquiring the rare ores that the other specialties require. I would say the "Researcher" is probably the hardest class to play. Warlord is probably pretty easy to play, but you might not make a lot of friends.. At least you shouldn't go around killing traders since the rare ore will be extremely important. It'll be interesting to see how the gas planets play out, and if people help a trader hold gas planets since the rare ore produced as a trading resource is pretty sweet.

So.. ya I'm with them.. Trader is a pretty good not aggressive toon to play as. Although don't be fooled, I am sure Raven and Trom will agree pissing off a trader could be bad news... They can build forces fast (10% faster build times) and they can pump out a ton of ships since they aren't restricted by the rare ore issues that could hamper other players.

I also have been waiting anxiously for this game to launch, and have now begun to promote it on FB. Already got one friend hooked. Can't wait to meet you all in game. I also think I'll probably take the trader route you have all suggested.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by zarkwizard View Post
    OMG.. Don't trust Raven and Trom.. They'll kill you in the blink of an eye.. for the right resources... Oh no wait that's Spartanius.

Actually it's pretty good advice, a trader is a really good support role, while working on earning an economic victory. Traders are great, in fact the best at acquiring the rare ores that the other specialties require. I would say the "Researcher" is probably the hardest class to play. Warlord is probably pretty easy to play, but you might not make a lot of friends.. At least you shouldn't go around killing traders since the rare ore will be extremely important. It'll be interesting to see how the gas planets play out, and if people help a trader hold gas planets since the rare ore produced as a trading resource is pretty sweet.

So.. ya I'm with them.. Trader is a pretty good not aggressive toon to play as. Although don't be fooled, I am sure Raven and Trom will agree pissing off a trader could be bad news... They can build forces fast (10% faster build times) and they can pump out a ton of ships since they aren't restricted by the rare ore issues that could hamper other players.
    I think you just offhandedly summarized the entirety of our two rounds of Beta Good'ol days of sending fleets across the entire game map to help a predetermined ally only to find out that the next level of ships are in play...*
    I think I'm going to run fleet and see what happens... I doubt I'll get anywhere near winning since my only real victory condition is locating artifacts but someone needs to test it out.

*(blatant exaggeration)
    SCAT - who needs guns when you have RO

Quote Originally Posted by Cheerio View Post
    I think I'm going to run fleet and see what happens... I doubt I'll get anywhere near winning since my only real victory condition is locating artifacts but someone needs to test it out.
    Actually there is a fleet specialty that we refer to as "Explorer" We removed a few other the items off the list till we got it all sorted on exactly what we wanted their end game to be... We have talked about "Genesis" devices that could spawn solar systems... stuff like that..

I personally like the fleet tree. Gaining the ability to jump massive fleets is pretty cool, and probably one of the most flexible abilities. For those that require jumpgates to jump fleets, or only capital ships the fleet tree is a sweet tree on it's own. Sadly there are a few higher level abilities I would want from several of the trees.

Putting something in for the Fleet tree will probably be one of the first additions for specialties. I guess we'll see what people give us for feedback, and what they like about the game, and would like to see added.