Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Wow and suggestions!

Have you ever considered giving probes an auto-explore?

Maybe that would be too much of an auto-play feature.

What would help, imho, though is a button, when clicking on an unexplored sector, that would send an idle probe (empty being a probe sitting in an empty sector) to that sector to explore.

Yeah, 'auto explore' has come up - it's one of the points that's been highly debated as we don't want to make the game so automated that you don't really do anything. There are probably some ways we could streamline that interaction a bit further though.

In beta we had an iWin button. We just found there was too much conflict because the game couldn't figure out who was really supposed to win...

As Lee pointed out the auto explore was brought up on more than one occasion. We decided against it, since it made the game much too easy.

As for the unexplored sector and sending a probe the question would be an idle probe from where? maybe I can add a navigate command to the ship listing screen. Maybe add another tab to sort ships by type, so you can see all your idle ships, then command them. Although I would have no idea which one you really pulled...

Hmmm.. At any rate.. I digress.. You could select a probe, go to the sector level then choose a sector and click the check mark with out entering the system. No idea if you discovered that. It will navigate to that sector, and orbit the sun.

Hey all. Probes... Here is my issue. As I mentioned in another post: It isn't so much that there is no auto explore, but that the information attained is very difficult to manage. When I send a probe currently, I must tell it to go to a planet to actually see that planets info. Then if I leave, that info is not retained. Why? It forces me to make a note (not functioning yet) or write myself an in game mail message to keep track of those planets... Why??

Ideally, once a probe enters a solar system it would see the planet info there withou having to go to each one individually and then actually RETAIN that info.
    Thoughts??

Makes sense. I have made a note of it, and we'll see what we can come up with. There are a few things we need to keep in mind. Since it has to do with multiple devices we need to make sure the data transfers to the other devices. We also need to keep it in the last state you saw it, not it's current state.

I have some ideas, I'll have to run some tests and see what the best solution might be.

Zark, love that you are here running with some of the ideas that might work and open to change.
    Shows a lot about you guys and how much you care about the game and the community, and most importantly, about growing it!

Here is a thank you for all the work you do!
    We are enjoying the effort... which reminds me...
    I should go check out my probes quest for a new home!

By idle probe I was thinking along the lines of whichever gets there first (the closest one e.g., if speeds of probes never change).

Anyway of lowering build time for shipyard orbital? One really cannot accomplish much in 1st 24 hours without it. Unless this is the point and I'm missing the reason.

Quote Originally Posted by mastergameaok View Post
    Anyway of lowering build time for shipyard orbital? One really cannot accomplish much in 1st 24 hours without it. Unless this is the point and I'm missing the reason.
    It was done to slow down the initial grunt rush. We decided on 24 hrs for the ship yard because in beta people would pump out a ship yard in a couple of hours, then push out a bunch of attack ships and kill their neighbors. 24hrs game people a chance to log in and start working on their empire, rather than get the beat down.

We have talked about making some games that run on faster timers, so those that want to play a much faster game could. That would be in the future though.