Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: MMO game mean MMO monthlys?

Quote Originally Posted by ksib View Post
    This is true, I agree with you. I just find that a "demo" is always a better seller IMO.
    I agree with you. The only way a demo that runs forever is going to work is where they don't get the full experience with their trial time. For a MMO like this where games are finite, I just can't see this working (unless you payed very little for the first month, but then you don't get the full experience).
    Nice everything you have there...
    Sssssssssssssssssss

Quote Originally Posted by Lavenders2 View Post
    I agree with the subscription model, but why not make a special offer? That could help you get an audience, and if they like it, they might stay. Maybe the first game you play is free? That would give you a chance to experience the core game. WoW had the problem where it wasn't possible to experience the main attraction of the game without paying... and if they got there and still didn't like it, they wasted $15+ dollars.
    While in a perfect world it would be nice to have a problem like WoW... On a side note here are some of the logistics.. We are running a real server back end, not a fluffy web back end. We maintain connections to the game server while you are playing like any MMO. It costs quite a bit of money to maintain the servers. If we gave people the chance to play for free we could end up with tons of servers running at less than half capacity because someone didn't like the game. That wouldn't be good for anyone playing. All it would mean is people might drop from the game because their experience was bad or because no one else was playing in their game. Since they could only play one free game.

In the worst case we end up being overwhelmed with free people vs paying customers, and then the paying customers have a bad experience because of lag, or not being able to get in decent games, due to the fact that there are a ton of free people playing.

Now that's not saying that we won't ever do something to open it up, but at this point in time it's something we decided not to offer. The other option would be to go freemium, but that is something we really have no desire to do. If people want to play or try the game, we figured for the price of a cup of coffee it's a pretty fair trade.
    Last edited by zarkwizard; 04-12-2011 at 04:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by zarkwizard View Post
    While in a perfect world it would be nice to have a problem like WoW... On a side note here are some of the logistics.. We are running a real server back end, not a fluffy web back end. We maintain connections to the game server while you are playing like any MMO. It costs quite a bit of money to maintain the servers. If we gave people the chance to play for free we could end up with tons of servers running at less than half capacity because someone didn't like the game. That wouldn't be good for anyone playing. All it would mean is people might drop from the game because their experience was bad or because no one else was playing in their game. Since they could only play one free game.

In the worst case we end up being overwhelmed with free people vs paying customers, and then the paying customers have a bad experience because of lag, or not being able to get in decent games, due to the fact that there are a ton of free people playing.

Now that's not saying that we won't ever do something to open it up, but at this point in time it's something we decided not to offer. The other option would be to go freemium, but that is something we really have no desire to do. If people want to play or try the game, we figured for the price of a cup of coffee it's a pretty fair trade.
    Maybe do a $1.99 for 2 months offer on a specific event (EG. Christmas, Haloween)? That way you will already have built up a fan base and have people who have already payed. You will also get some money anyway, so it should help support the servers during that time.
    Nice everything you have there...
    Sssssssssssssssssss

I think I still have to agree with Zark and friends on this one. $2 is not an outrageous price to pay to play the game and if you don't like the game after one month then I guess you will have to buy one less coffee that month to stay within budget. Protection from pirates is pretty important as that will keep a lot of the trolls out and will make the experience for the rest of us better.

My only concern is how many people you will be able to attract to come play the game. 4X games don't have the same kind of following as say FPS genres and I don't think this project is really all that well known yetvso some more advertisement or interviews on game sites would be helpful.

I also agree with Zark and Trom, if the game turns out as good as I expect it's going to be $2 a month is nothing.

Just a suggestion; Maybe it's possible to release a "lite" version of the game with a single-player mode against AI only? That way more people will give the game a shot and might subscribe for the full game when they like it. Also the servers won't be stressed as much with people trying out the game.

Edit: I see that this suggestion was already made, I will read threads more carefully from now on
    Last edited by iCake; 04-12-2011 at 12:00 PM.

Developing an AI is a ton of work. I don't think there's much "lite" about that :-)

I don't think selling a 4X game via iOS is going to be very hard. the iOS platforms are perfect for this an TBS games. on a PC/Mac it would be hard to sell this game, but you will pick up many 4X gamers as well as many MMO gamers with iOS that wouldn't otherwise play a 4X. A game like this has been waiting for a platform like this.
    --- *Member of the SCAT alliance* ---
    My device: iPod Touch 4G