Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: The planet defenses.

Quote Originally Posted by Royce View Post
    No, the planet's attack value will be spread across multiple attacking ships until it has all been used up. So many cruisers would die every round. You need capital ships with high defense to take on a colony, though I think sending smaller ones in as well to draw fire might help depending on how target priority is set.
    This makes more sense, but where is this written? In the combat overview it says specifically that

Combat takes place in a series of rounds, during which each ship choses a target before all ships attack simultaneously.
    It doesn't say anything about "unused attack points will be allocated to remaining ships." Though I like this idea.

Quote Originally Posted by banjankri View Post
    This makes more sense, but where is this written? In the combat overview it says specifically that

It doesn't say anything about "unused attack points will be allocated to remaining ships." Though I like this idea.
    Yes I only found out from the forum here. It's been mentioned a few times, including in this thread: http://www.zarksoft.com/cms/showthre...-Combat-System

I think there are still some details missing from the explanation of how combat works. Here is another anecdote that Player One might be able to confirm if he reads this:

Last night when I logged out of the game, my opponent had a fleet of 23 cruisers orbiting the star of a system in which I had a colony. Given that I couldn't attack this fleet directly (because of the "no combat in star orbit" bug), I parked 26 cruisers at my colony, in addition to the 2 orbital laser arrays. This was a 400mu colony.

When I logged in this morning, his fleet was gone, my fleet was gone, and all of the orbitals around the colony were gone, but the colony was still mine. I assume he attacked with the 23 cruisers, although I suppose he could have mustered some more ships.

The outcome kind of surprised me. For one thing, it seems pretty clear that orbitals are targeted first. That's fine. But 23 cruisers have an ATK of 241. One laser array alone has a DEF of 300+, if I'm remembering correctly, and I think I had 2 (although it could have just been one). An additional 26 defending cruisers obviously outmatch 23 on their own. Then factoring in the 400mu planet, there is enough damage output on the defending side to obliterate 23 cruisers in one round, if combat works as recently described ( the "trample damage" analogy). So how is it that I lost all of my cruisers, all of my defense orbitals, and all of my non-defense orbitals in the battle? It doesn't add up if combat works as has been described here.

Player One, if you're reading this, feel free to fill in any details if it helps us understand how this game works.

That does sound very strange, and like his whole force should have been vaporized instantly, but of course, you don't know if he had any battle tech to help him out, cloaked ships, etc.

Another thing I've been wondering about is that I saw a dev mention there is an orbital location used for orbitals that don't belong to the planet owner. What sort of orbital can you build on an opponent's planet? Can you turn a cruiser into an energy array and blast the planet from its orbit with that? I certainly hope not

Royce - I'm not sure what you're referring to. Currently all orbitals can only be placed in the orbit of planets you control. The only units that can target things outside of the orbit they're in are planet killers and the biological weapons ability.

I can't find it at this moment (advanced search is still not working ), but I could have sworn I saw a dev post recently describing the significance of the various orbit positions, and in addition to owner ships, fleets, orbitals, opponent ships, fleets, he also mentioned orbitals that don't belong to the planet owner.

The bottom left position of a celestial body is the "Other" orbitals position. Before beta it was possible to drop certain orbitals, like a JumpGate at an enemy owned spot, but that ability is no longer present.

Quote Originally Posted by JetJaguar2000 View Post
    I think there are still some details missing from the explanation of how combat works. Here is another anecdote that Player One might be able to confirm if he reads this:

Last night when I logged out of the game, my opponent had a fleet of 23 cruisers orbiting the star of a system in which I had a colony. Given that I couldn't attack this fleet directly (because of the "no combat in star orbit" bug), I parked 26 cruisers at my colony, in addition to the 2 orbital laser arrays. This was a 400mu colony.

When I logged in this morning, his fleet was gone, my fleet was gone, and all of the orbitals around the colony were gone, but the colony was still mine. I assume he attacked with the 23 cruisers, although I suppose he could have mustered some more ships.
    If you tell me the server and the planet involved, I can pull the log and play the fight back to see what went on. I'm under no illusion that combat is working perfectly.

Quote Originally Posted by Royce View Post
    Yes I only found out from the forum here. It's been mentioned a few times, including in this thread: http://www.zarksoft.com/cms/showthre...-Combat-System
    That's a good thread. I like the part where the devs casually contradict a big part of what their tutorial says about combat...

Revised my script, the magic number is 561 cruisers.

Code:
    561 ships, atk: 6171 def: 10098 vs planet, atk: 2800 def 14400.
    155 ships destroyed.  405 ships remaining.
    405 ships, atk: 4459 def: 7298 vs planet, atk: 2800 def 8229.
    155 ships destroyed.  249 ships remaining.
    249 ships, atk: 2748 def: 4498 vs planet, atk: 2800 def 3769.
    155 ships destroyed.  94 ships remaining.
    94 ships, atk: 1037 def: 1698 vs planet, atk: 2800 def 1020.
    Defender destroyed!
    94 attack ships remaining.

I would LOVE to know if this proves out to be accurate in game. Maybe someone can test it before I waste my 600+ cruisers on it

Quote Originally Posted by banjankri View Post
    That's a good thread. I like the part where the devs casually contradict a big part of what their tutorial says about combat...

Revised my script, the magic number is 561 cruisers.

Code:
    561 ships, atk: 6171 def: 10098 vs planet, atk: 2800 def 14400.
    155 ships destroyed.  405 ships remaining.
    405 ships, atk: 4459 def: 7298 vs planet, atk: 2800 def 8229.
    155 ships destroyed.  249 ships remaining.
    249 ships, atk: 2748 def: 4498 vs planet, atk: 2800 def 3769.
    155 ships destroyed.  94 ships remaining.
    94 ships, atk: 1037 def: 1698 vs planet, atk: 2800 def 1020.
    Defender destroyed!
    94 attack ships remaining.