Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Thread: The planet defenses.

Quote Originally Posted by Supamand View Post
    I wonder what will happen if a reinforcement fleet arrives in mid combat. Will the new fleet be allowed to join?

Also, what if the planet that I attack has fleets from 2 different players in the planets orbit? Will I have to fight those fleets at well?
    Yes, the reinforcements should join the fight. Spectators are not involved. If A attacks B, and C & D have ships there, they will not become part of it, unless they decide to attack A or B.

Quote Originally Posted by catswift View Post
    First strike needs to go. I captured my entire galactic sector on day 3 of a server start (not colonies, just outposts), all without losing a ship.

Diplomatic status having an effect on first strike just contributes horribly to this mechanic. Set my diplomatic status with everyone to war, please. The cost otherwise is simply not worth it.
    Well we're definitely discussing things internally, but I'll say one thing here: If somebody shows up with 40 cruisers and you only have 20, why shouldn't the attacker be able to one-shot the defender ? How is it fair that we say to the attacker, sorry, although you had double or triple the ATK to destroy the defenders, you have to lose 1/3 of your ships anyway.

Dummy rounds might be a possible solution. I'm also looking into some kind of early warning system that would alert the defenders when the attacker initially gives the order to fire.

I would say that if you're at war, both sides should attack at the same time, since they both know it's coming. If you aren't set to war with each other, whoever chooses to attack should get the first shot, since the other side wouldn't be expecting it.

Quote Originally Posted by Tsagoth View Post
    Well we're definitely discussing things internally, but I'll say one thing here: If somebody shows up with 40 cruisers and you only have 20, why shouldn't the attacker be able to one-shot the defender ? How is it fair that we say to the attacker, sorry, although you had double or triple the ATK to destroy the defenders, you have to lose 1/3 of your ships anyway.
    If I build a defense system, whose sole purpose in life is to kill anything hostile to my interests, and it is always prepared to do so, why would it suddenly not decide to fire?

That's like saying the U.S. missile defense system won't shoot down a nuke sent from Russia because the President hasn't had the chance to say "we're at war" yet.

But, hey, if y'all are cool with me taking over an entire galactic sector in less than 56 hours from game start who am I to dissuade you.
    Last edited by catswift; 06-04-2012 at 06:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tsagoth View Post

Dummy rounds might be a possible solution. I'm also looking into some kind of early warning system that would alert the defenders when the attacker initially gives the order to fire.
    I don't understand your argument. If you show up with 40 cruisers and I have 20, I shouldn't expect to inflict at least SOME damage on your fleet? Because my fleet is half yours, it's value is actually zero? That doesn't make any sense. I've never played a strategy game that works that way.

EDIT: In fact, that view is exactly why the game is screwed up now. You amass a big enough fleet, and you can just waltz through someone's empire obliterating all of their defenses without your attack force weakening it all. Not only have you taken all of their assets, but you have reduced their defensive capabilities to zero. How is that in any way sensical? Instead of deciding how many attacks you can muster before your fleet takes enough casualties to retreat, you just get to take everything. Absurd.
    Last edited by JetJaguar2000; 06-04-2012 at 06:38 PM.

Lee has drawn up a draft for a revised combat system that will be more fair and I expect it will show up in the near future.

I have a simple question. For a planet with 450Mu and shipyard and with no other defences how many crusers one has to have to take down the shipyard? Lets assume that both parties are at war.

Quote Originally Posted by SG7 View Post
    I have a simple question. For a planet with 450Mu and shipyard and with no other defences how many crusers one has to have to take down the shipyard? Lets assume that both parties are at war.
    Ten should do it assuming they strike first although the planet should wipe them immediately thereafter.

Quote Originally Posted by JetJaguar2000 View Post
    I don't understand your argument. If you show up with 40 cruisers and I have 20, I shouldn't expect to inflict at least SOME damage on your fleet? Because my fleet is half yours, it's value is actually zero? That doesn't make any sense. I've never played a strategy game that works that way.
    Well we'll just have to see. Once Cheerio and company start roaming around with their 800 cruiser/battleship fleets, we'll find out what works and what doesn't.

I've posted notes about the proposed combat revisions in a new thread over here.

http://www.zarksoft.com/cms/showthre...=5203#post5203