Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: some combat questions:

Outposts have a small amount of defense but it's really only enough to take on one or two destroyers. It's definitely recommended that you deploy some ships / defensive structures to protect them. As for what you can defend them with other than combat ships you have a couple options. 1. Mine Emplacement (T1 Trade) allows you to create a ship that you can move to any location and then convert it to an immobile mine field.
    2. If you have both Cruisers (T2 Fleet) and Orbital Defenses (T1 Combat) then you can convert a cruiser into an Orbital Beam Array at an outpost. There's a similar combo with Advanced Orbital Defenses (t2 Combat) and Armed Command (T3 Fleet). It looks like the the description of those combos weren't included in the tech description so I'll correct that in the future versions of the client.

One important thing to keep in mind with how the combat system works is that currently ships can only attack one target per round so a large number of weaker ships can still take down a target with much higher defense / attack simply because the large ship gets worn down while trying to weed through all the smaller ships.

Also, on the front of what you can attack keep in mind that you're not really choosing to attack a specific target so much as initiating war with that player. One you've told your ships to attack they'll attack everything belonging to that player that's in the same planetary orbit. Also after you've attacked someone twice you'll automatically be flagged to 'war' status with that player and your ships will begin fighting automatically when they're in the same place.
    Last edited by Leedot; 05-27-2012 at 09:23 PM. Reason: grammar fix

Also, the ATK / DEF of a 400mu planet would be ATK 2800 / 7200. (basically 7/18 per 1 million u of population.)

Awesome Lee! Thanks for those tips and that explanation! I didn't know that about the Cruiser/Orbital Beam Array combo.

One more question Lee, when you get a moment. Someone just posted that an enemy's Colony Ship converted their Outpost without a fight. So I assume a Colony Ship has some firepower? And is this a good strategy to attempt, or was this just a ballsy move that happened to work?

Quote Originally Posted by Leedot View Post
    Also, the ATK / DEF of a 400mu planet would be ATK 2800 / 7200. (basically 7/18 per 1 million u of population.)
    Great! Thank you for the info. With such defensive power it is not easy to take it down.

Chicken - Colony Ships are actually pretty tough compared to the early tier ships so it make sense that someone could pull it off. It's definitely a bold move but if it doesn't have any backup it's going to be very vulnerable to counter attack while it establishes a population as it's actually weaker as a colonized planet than it is as ship before it gets any sort of population built up.

Wow, ok! Great to know!

Leedot, there is something entirely unclear about combat based on the tutorial video: does combat explicitly involve per round target selection as implied by the diagrams in the tutorial video, or is combat completely automated?

I have been expecting to see a "combat screen" where I select targets for all my ships, but in the only instance where combat was successfully initiated, all I saw was a battle animation around a planet, and an outcome with no description of what happened in the battle "rounds." I am now starting to think it is entirely automated, and the specifics of the battle are not shown to the user. Can you clarify?

Oooo, good question. I'd love to see an After Action Report or something summarizing the battle.

Quote Originally Posted by JetJaguar2000 View Post
    Leedot, there is something entirely unclear about combat based on the tutorial video: does combat explicitly involve per round target selection as implied by the diagrams in the tutorial video, or is combat completely automated?

I have been expecting to see a "combat screen" where I select targets for all my ships, but in the only instance where combat was successfully initiated, all I saw was a battle animation around a planet, and an outcome with no description of what happened in the battle "rounds." I am now starting to think it is entirely automated, and the specifics of the battle are not shown to the user. Can you clarify?
    First off yes, the combat is entirely automated. It's also not strictly a per round fight. Ships are assigned their own targets and they fire independently from all the other attackers/defenders. We had a plan to show the battle itself but it was very complex to implement and we don't have all the artwork. It's certainly one of the things we want to bring out in a future update.