Thread: How do you name your planets?

How do you name your planets?

Planet_01783 or whatever is a pretty bland and hard to remember type of name. So how do you guys name and keep track of your planets?

Personally, I am writing a scifi book (unrelated to this game), so I'm using the names of the planets, technology, characters and events to name my planets. How about you guys?
    Empire of the Eclipse
    Seris | Aruru | Trader | Friend me, I'm friendly | Would live to start some trades with other players
    Seris | Mareth | Trader | Friend me, I'm friendly | Would live to start some trades with other players

Gamecenter ID: HashTagKiller

Well, my handle is ChickenHawk, so I name all my colonies and Terran worlds something to do with Pollo (Chicken in Spanish). Ex: Pollo Tropical (A water planet) LOL

I've been doing boring names - Planet_Water; Planet_Lava, etc. and something random but unique for the home planet.

I name each system I have planets in differently, so my Homesystem the planets are <System Name> Prime, <System Name> 2, etc till I've named all the planets. When I set up a colony or outpost in a new system I give it a new name and use the same naming scheme, prime for the first colony or outpost I set up, then 2 through whatver for the rest as I go. Currently, I've been stealing the system names from Starbase Orion :P

I just named a planet 'Planet Rock' and I'm feeling pretty jazzed about that. Three guesses what material it was comprised of.

Quote Originally Posted by smith View Post
    I just named a planet 'Planet Rock' and I'm feeling pretty jazzed about that. Three guesses what material it was comprised of.
    Crack? Diamond? Basketballs?

I name my planets single words that could be used in a sort of utilitarian, propaganda sort of way like unity, loyalty, power, assimilation and so forth.

Quote Originally Posted by Balian View Post
    I name my planets single words that could be used in a sort of utilitarian, propaganda sort of way like unity, loyalty, power, assimilation and so forth.
    Ah, that's cool, I like.

Colors. And, often galactic sectors, too, such as "Green 3,1"