Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Combat System

Combat System

I looked at the combat tutorial and a little bit confused by the atk vs. def points. The way Lee described it, it didn't sound a direct ration.

Which brings me to the real question. How many dreadnoughts do you need to take down 400 mil population planet without orbitals?
    I figured I would need 63 if it's a direct ration. Could someone please input on this?

Thanks

Lee posted somewhere the Attack/Defense of a 400Mu planet. I'll try and find it.

The ATK / DEF of a 400mu planet would be ATK 2800 / 7200. (basically 7/18 per 1 million u of population.)

I think his question was if you were to get enough Dreadnoughts to have ATK > 7200 (barring any other defenses) would that be enough to take over the 400mu planet or are there other things involved in the process?

Yep that was my question.
    Also someone posted before that u can take over an outpost with a colony ship. Well it must only work if other player is non hostile because I just lost a colony ship for nothing, not even a combat report.

Which brings me to second question. What is a default atk/def of outpost planets. And if there is a way to view the progress of the combat.

ATK is a direct amount of damage dealt per round while DEF is half the total damage that can be taken per battle. So to take a 400mu planet with no other defenses in a single round you'd need 125 Dreadnaughts. (so you'd only loose 1 Dreadnaught.)

I'm still a little confused. Does a 400mu planet take permanent "damage" when attacked multiple times? If not, it seems like it would still take a ridiculously large fleet of ships to do 7200 damage before getting wiped out.

Yes and no. They take damage every round and if the total amount of damage exceeds their DEF x 2 they're destroyed. If they survive the entire battle that damage is then restored. So damage is cumulative but only within the scope of a single battle.

So that is true for planets too, then? This strikes me as kind of a strange design choice. I understand that 125 dreadnoughts are required to beat the 400mu planet in a single round, but even if you accept losses, that's still a LOT of dreadnoughts to defeat a planet. It also implies that defeating a planet with lesser ships is effectively impossible. And this is an UNDEFENDED planet.

What are your expectations, as the game designers, about what is required to attack and defeat a planet? If an "undefended" 400mu planet, which takes about 4 hours to create, can beat a fleet of up to about 15 dreadnoughts (if my math is right), what sorts of fleets are you expecting players to amass? For one thing, this makes orbital defenses seem almost pointless. Why would you bother with orbital lasers when the planet alone has that much damage potential? It also makes me wonder what role smaller fleets have in the game. A fleet of 10 destroyers, for example, apparently cannot accomplish any sort of planetary attack, so what are they for? You certainly don't need them for defense if your 400mu colony that you just created a couple hours ago can hold off 15 dreadnoughts. Is there really only a small window of a few minutes after colony ship deployment that you have any hope of conquering it? Again, it takes about 4 hours for a terran or water planet to get to 300 - 400mu.

Quote Originally Posted by Leedot View Post
    DEF is half the total damage that can be taken per battle.
    What was the rationale behind this? Why not just make the DEF value twice as much and have them act as direct Hit Points?