Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Name for squares in galaxy view

Name for squares in galaxy view

So in sector view, each square in the 25x25 grid is called a sector. But what do you call each square in galaxy view if the whole thing is one galaxy?

Actually, in the Galaxy view each square is a sector. In the Sector view, each squrare is a system (or empty space)

Actually I think it goes Galaxy (in the Galaxy view) then inside that there are 625 Sectors 25x25 and inside each sector is a system with planet's or nothing.

Hence the reason you give your coordinates like G 1,2 S 17,17 P 1 "P" being Planet.

*removed post*
    Last edited by AntiHaze; 05-30-2012 at 05:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by VanderLegion View Post
    Actually, in the Galaxy view each square is a sector. In the Sector view, each squrare is a system (or empty space)
    That makes sense. It just confuses me sometimes when I'm reading posts on here.

Though the whole picture does appear to be one galaxy, the display when selecting areas (each is named, like galaxy 3,1) leads me to believe each large square is considered a galaxy. Also, the SPARTAN reports detail the loss of a ship at a specific sector, referring to the smallest scale squares. So my take is it goes universe of galaxies, galaxy of sectors, each sector is a system or empty space.

Quote Originally Posted by Royce View Post
    Though the whole picture does appear to be one galaxy, the display when selecting areas (each is named, like galaxy 3,1) leads me to believe each large square is considered a galaxy. Also, the SPARTAN reports detail the loss of a ship at a specific sector, referring to the smallest scale squares. So my take is it goes universe of galaxies, galaxy of sectors, each sector is a system or empty space.
    Exactly :-) yeah, I'm pretty sure this is spot on.

That's counterintuitive, because the galaxy view is a picture of a single galaxy. Sorry to be a nitpick here...

Quote Originally Posted by Royce View Post
    I look at that as Galaxy 3,1 being the sector located at location 3,1 on the galaxy map. System x,y would be the System located at location x,y on the Sector map. As AntiHaze said, there's only one galaxy, so having each square on the galaxy map be a galaxy makes no sense.

Quote Originally Posted by VanderLegion View Post
    I look at that as Galaxy 3,1 being the sector located at location 3,1 on the galaxy map. System x,y would be the System located at location x,y on the Sector map. As AntiHaze said, there's only one galaxy, so having each square on the galaxy map be a galaxy makes no sense.
    This was my initial thought as well. However the spartan reports definitely call the smallest squares sectors. So there are two problems:

1. If "Galaxy X,Y" names a square within the galaxy, why does "Sector X,Y" name a specific sector, as can be seen in SPARTAN reports and the "unexplored sector" description, etc. It would seem both naming conventions should work the same way, i.e. "Thing X,Y" should in both cases name a square within the "thing", or a "thing" itself, not the one in one case and the other in the other case.

2. If the large view is a single galaxy, as it appears, and the smallest squares are sectors, as they are called, WTH do we call the middle size squares?