Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Two ideas for the Devs

We would like to keep the game free as a download for a couple of reasons. I know some of us devs have sig others that have an iPad, and they maintain their own iTunes account. One thing we didn't want to do was force people to pay for another download on a different device.

Part of the issue that comes in to play is there is no way for us to tell if you bought a copy from the store, or pirated a copy. To the servers we just see the game connect. So we would have to assume if we see a new device you bought a new account. That would mean that any new device you install it on (let's say you have 1 iTunes account with 5 devices) we would have to assume you bought another month. There is no way of us knowing if this is the same iTunes account or not.

It just adds a layer of complexity that isn't required. Sure we fully expect people to complain and give us 1 star saying there is a subscription even when the first 2 lines of the description clearly states that. All we can hope is that people that like the game post a review to counter the 1 star free complainers.

In the long run we plan on doing something to let people try and play the game, but it will be in a limited fashion and they will not have interaction with the paying players.

Quote Originally Posted by TopherW View Post
    1) Creating two servers out there at the same time, one is the two to three days between matches which we currently have and a second server which is every week. That way for those of us who want to get around 200-300 people we could join the weekly server and those of us who want a quicker/smaller game could join the semi daily server.
    We discussed this tonight, and I may have a way that we could do this without requiring dev time. I'm not saying that we will do it, but I'm going to play with the launcher over the next few days to see if my idea will work.

Quote Originally Posted by Tsagoth View Post
    We discussed this tonight, and I may have a way that we could do this without requiring dev time. I'm not saying that we will do it, but I'm going to play with the launcher over the next few days to see if my idea will work.
    You sound really smart. I don't even know what a "trace" is (although I can probably giess) and you're able to pull up code and watch battles that have already taken place. It's like you're plugged into the matrix....

On a serious note though, I've posted a lot about my feelings on allowing non paying customers into a paying customer's server, so as long as you all are able to restrict non-payers, I'm all good with whatever you decide to do to bring in more people.

Hi Tsagoth,
    I appreciate the fact you all took the time to discuss my idea. That is more than I can ask for and if it happens great. If not, at least it wasn't just in my head and the idea was explored.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by zarkwizard View Post
    It just adds a layer of complexity that isn't required. Sure we fully expect people to complain and give us 1 star saying there is a subscription even when the first 2 lines of the description clearly states that. All we can hope is that people that like the game post a review to counter the 1 star free complainers.
    I never rate apps. Most apps are so bad they're not worth the time even saying anything about it. Other apps that may be "good" or "interesting" but I only use once in a bluemoon are also not worth writing a review for. Most apps are not worth the time it takes to rate and review... that's the bottom line. But there are some exceptions, and in this case... Eclipse is totally one of them.

I've been playing this game for about 24-48 hours, and even with all the glitches/bugs/disconnects I am facing I still feel this game is way above and beyond most apps/games out there. It's a no brainer that the game is going to be even more incredible down the road.

I work in the customer service field, and just reading through this forum it's refreshing to see how well Zarksoft is managing. Really a huge kudos to you guys, especially with your forum presence. It can't be easy, but I think you guys are doing a great job thus far.

As for the reviews/ratings, while there is no doubt people will rate the game poorly because it's a free download and they didn't read that it's a subscription to play... I think that the type of users the devs are trying to get via subscription are the same type that if the devs asked to rate/review the users would.

(and yes, I just went and rated 4 stars because it's still a fun game regardless of the current issues... and the current issues will be resolved in the future. Also because of the good customer service/forum presence).