Thread: Locating Homeworlds

Locating Homeworlds

How do you identify another player's homeworld?
    I have Some combat experimenting to do.

Usually you can tell a home world by it's population. If the world has a population of over 400m it is probably a home world. Other than that if you get far enough along in a game it would be difficult to tell.

Well the other tells are home worlds are always terran and will always have a shipyard. (unless it's super early in the game.)

Oh well. I'll just have to hope for the best once my fleets assembled.

Quote Originally Posted by zarkwizard View Post
    If the world has a population of over 400m it is probably a home world.
    How, other than terraforming? Or are you saying most people terraform their homeworld? My homeworlds so far have all capped at 400Mu.

Quote Originally Posted by Magorath View Post
    How do you identify another player's homeworld?
    I have Some combat experimenting to do.
    You have to do a LOT of exploring in the first 24 hours of a server opening to determine where everyone's homeworld is... make 12 probes and just go to town. Leave a Probe in the homeworld systems so you know where to go back to in the future.
    --
    Noah

Actually, I think I found a shortcut for determining Homeworlds. It seems that all homeworlds are numbered first, so they have low numbers like Planet_7, or Planet_23, and Tsagoth's planet in my server was Planet_1.

I assume if there are 100 players in a server, their homeworlds will be numbered 1 - 100, so you can easily identify homeworlds by this method. Even if the owner changes the planet's name, the numbered version still shows up if you try selecting it as a possible "move" destination.

The only hitch in this method is if a player has captured another player's HW. For a PKer, this doesn't matter too much since you can kill either or for the win condition. But for trying to knock a player out, you may have to look closer and make a determination.

Quote Originally Posted by Skeith27 View Post
    Actually, I think I found a shortcut for determining Homeworlds. It seems that all homeworlds are numbered first, so they have low numbers like Planet_7, or Planet_23, and Tsagoth's planet in my server was Planet_1.

I assume if there are 100 players in a server, their homeworlds will be numbered 1 - 100, so you can easily identify homeworlds by this method. Even if the owner changes the planet's name, the numbered version still shows up if you try selecting it as a possible "move" destination.

The only hitch in this method is if a player has captured another player's HW. For a PKer, this doesn't matter too much since you can kill either or for the win condition. But for trying to knock a player out, you may have to look closer and make a determination.
    This seems right and it was how I figured out starting locations for some players in galaxies I didn't have time to explore until late in the game.