Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Combat Revisions

Quote Originally Posted by JetJaguar2000 View Post
    It should be pretty easy to mock up a combat test script to simulate a variety of different scenarios. I hope you can do something like that to test outcomes before anything is put in to the game itself.
    We were discussing that today. We are working in an excel spreadsheet and will be adding combat simulation code to the spreadsheet to help run simulations to determine the outcomes. When we are done we will probably put something in the client that will allow people to simulate battles as well.

Quote Originally Posted by catswift View Post
    I don't see an issue with "probe spam". You would only do this is you couldn't build anything better (due to limited object count), and from my experience I'm maxing my object count with cruisers by day 3. If someone needs to defend against that, and all they can build are probes, all the more power to them.
    A moderately wealthy player would have no difficulty dismantling a chunk of his harvesting fleet and building dozens or hundreds of probes to accompany his attack fleet for a major invasion, then destroying them all and rebuilding harvesters/cargo ships. Probes can also be made very fast, so if combat takes any length of time, planets could keep chairing them out. Also, because you're maxing your count with cruisers doesn't mean other people are (I am not), nor does it mean you would under the new system. All you need is a couple of large ships, and many probes, and you have a good chance of surviving and winning every battle. Your probes take most of the damage, and you can rebuilt them almost instantly at negligible cost.

Probes can also be made very fast, so if combat takes any length of time, planets could keep chairing them out
    This is a separate issue which will need to addressed, thanks for bringing it up. Planets in combat should have their production queues halted while the planet is in combat (after all, the colonists are busy earning the ATK points per m). It won't stop the dedicated player from flooding ships in from other planets, but at least then it requires dedicated micro-management to pull off.

A little off topic, but I would like to see a summary of my attack and defense for each planet. Right now, I don't know how much I have and it can change depending on what is in orbit.

I think the priority lists will prevent probe fleets from being an issue. I've got what I feel is a pretty balanced spreadsheet for all the ship / orbital values which I'll be posting after Zark / Tsagoth have had some time to go over it. We'll then of course run it through a simulator many times to make sure it's behaving how we'd expect it to before putting it in the game.

2pour - We'll look into including that information when we rework the local planet menu to include more detailed information about a planet's income streams.

Alright, so anyone who's interested in the new balance / numbers we're looking at for the combat revisions can see them here.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...0JBM013djlwX0E

I really think outposts and low population colonies should have more than a single target. What is there just 1 turret on the whole planet? Also, a 1M population planet should have attack greater than or equal to an outpost since it is basically an outpost with more people.

Also, am I reading that wrong or do all non combat ships have 1 attack and 1 target? That would be silly. There's no way a massive colony ship should be massively overpowered by a single fighter.
    Last edited by Royce; 06-07-2012 at 09:52 PM.

I do not understand the increased RO costs (unless paired with an overhaul of the imbalance in class RO production).

Quote Originally Posted by catswift View Post
    I do not understand the increased RO costs (unless paired with an overhaul of the imbalance in class RO production).
    I just noticed that and it's insane. I will never play anything but trader if the numbers on that sheet make it into the game.