Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Character balance?

Character balance?

What does everyone think about the balance between the three different character types ( Trader vs Warlord vs Researcher)?

At the moment it appears like the trader has a huge advantage in resources and able to build huge fleets.

I know we need to wait and see how all the starting servers end - It should be interesting.

I've tried all 3, the trader has a huge advantage in terms of conventional fleets, but the other two have "come from behind" win conditions, so who knows.

I definitely feel that the trader's RO advantage is way too extreme. I'm literally barely monitoring the game in which I'm a trader, and I'm up to something like 30k RO last time I checked. As a researcher or warlord I've had to bust my ass to get even 5k RO, and that's only the result of fighting over Jovian planets that I wouldn't otherwise have.

You can't really judge by the starting servers, because there are a lot of starting bugs that got grandfathered. But that's off topic....
    I tried playing trader and researcher so far. It looks like with the new fixes, scientist would have an upper hand on expansion. So at start scientists will be better than any other class hands down.

However, as you advance The need for RO groves and traders become effective. As a scientist I tried to use trading to obtain RO and it seams to be a good alternative.

As far as playing a Warlord, I haven't tried one yet, but I'd say it looks like the most challenging class to play. Because they have nothing going for them to gain the boost of RO and those super capital ships are expensive! Maybe a month into the game is when warlord will gain power over other classes (if they are not killed off first).

So to recap:
    Scientists - fast at expansion in early game.
    Trader - average at start, but picks up speed when demand of RO goes up
    Warlord - average at start, but picks up power mid/end game where 1000 ship limit becomes an issue (due to availability of super capital ships).

When people start saying they all suck, we'll know we have reached balance.

On Researchers acquiring ore / rare ore - The intent is that warlords and researchers should have to seek out traders and setup trade routes with them to get RO but we didn't want to go as far as making it so that you're completely screwed because everyone refuses to trade with you.

I can't remember if this has been asked or discussed in the many trading threads out there, so forgive me if I'm asking a repeat question. Is it possible (haven't tried yet) to have a harvester you own on a source planet you own take ore from source planet and deposit it on another player's Destination planet?

If warlords are dependent on traders, and researchers are dependent on traders, then who are the traders dependent on?

Quote Originally Posted by catswift View Post
    If warlords are dependent on traders, and researchers are dependent on traders, then who are the traders dependent on?
    Traders depend on warlord and researchers to trade with and protection
    Last edited by Supamand; 06-06-2012 at 03:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ChickenHawk07 View Post
    I can't remember if this has been asked or discussed in the many trading threads out there, so forgive me if I'm asking a repeat question. Is it possible (haven't tried yet) to have a harvester you own on a source planet you own take ore from source planet and deposit it on another player's Destination planet?
    No. Harvesters can only operate between planets you own.

Quote Originally Posted by Supamand View Post
    Traders depend on warlord and researchers to trade with and protection
    Traders can trade with other traders, and it's already been established that traders don't need protection until very late game (if then).