Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Planet defense mk II

Planet defense mk II

Having lost almost 700 ships, of which 300 was battleships I find the planet defenses bonkers. We can't deal with them until really late game is silly, undefended planets should fall easy, people should be rewarded for playing, not just plopping down colonies and idling...*

This game is just too unfinished and suffer from poor mechanics to be really playable.

An undefended 400Mu planet takes 232 Battleshios to take. That's about a day or two of building Battleships for me. I don't think that's too extreme. The game plays great. Yes, some things should be improved. But I don't think Colony defense is one of them.

If you had 300 battleships and lost 700 ships, then it wasn't just the planets defenses that killed you, they must have had stationary defenses or their own fleet as well. I've captured homeworlds with a mixed force of about 500 cruisers and battlecruisers, much less battleships. And like ChickenHawk said, a battleship force to kill an otherwise undefended colony takes very little time to build (in terms of a 2 month game). A couple of days is nothing.

On the other hand, I do agree that the game seems unfinished in a lot of regards. Mainly in terms of visibility of information (trying to figure out where the heck you have harvesting/trade routes set up), the sheer number of steps it takes to actually DO anything, the inability to do things like automatically create a fleet from all ships of the same class in a system instead of having to fleet one, go into fleet view, add the rest, inability to give orders from fleet view, etc...

Well I had 300 battleships and 400 cruises, his defenses was gone I had still 500 ships, this is beyond the point tho, undefended planets should fall to a cruiser alone. Orbital defenses should be required thus an active player

I can build 100+ battleships in 4 hours. Once you have strong economy there is no problem in building ships or replacing them as needed. In fact I have built already 2285 ships (about 1000 battleships). The game does not require attacking other peoples colonies or home worlds. There are 5 ways to win this game. I do not think that mechanics are poor. To the contrary. The game is already well balanced with more improvements coming soon. Sure there are some things I wish there were done differently but nothing is a stopper for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Strongbad View Post
    Well I had 300 battleships and 400 cruises, his defenses was gone I had still 500 ships, this is beyond the point tho, undefended planets should fall to a cruiser alone. Orbital defenses should be required thus an active player
    Colonies have ground to space weapons, (Think Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back) so it makes sense that a 400Mu planet would take a lot of shelling to kill all the resistance. Before attacking (if you know colony size) just multiply the Population (just the 3 digits) by 18 and then divide that by the ATK of one of your ships. That'll tell you how many ships of that kind you need to take the planet. Don't forget to add in Orbitals and other defending ships, if they have them.

I agree with Strongbad, until they overhaul the mechanics, it's pretty difficult to take the game seriously.

SG7 and ChickenHawk, the two of you probably log more hours in this game than everyone else combined. You are online constantly. So for you to claim that the gameplay is balanced is also hard to take seriously. If you are building 100+ battleships in 4 hours, that means you have at least 10 full population colonies with enough RO at each to keep up production. Obviously, you are Traders, because neither other class has the faintest chance of keeping up with that rate.

As I was explaining to ChickenHawk just before he double crossed our alliance (haha), my entire objective on Nergal was to see how much RO I could collect as a Warlord without trading. I suspected it wasn't possible to reach 440k and I was right. Even with a number of Jovian outposts and rank 9 in Advanced Materials Collection, do you want to know how much RO I have? 34k. And that's with spending NONE of it along the way. I could have researched Capital Ship Construction days ago, but what would be the point? Build 5 dreads and then be completely broke?

Now, I was playing what I consider aggressively in terms of expansion, but obviously not even close to aggressively enough compared to what these guys are doing. Maybe the game just isn't for me, but if it's about crapping out outpost and colony ships 24/7 and micromanaging where they go, I'm not interested. I already spend more time on this game than I want to, if you want people like me to keep playing, you have to do more to level the playing field.

Here I am thinking I'm being productive building 4 battleships an hour, and then these guys talk this nonsense. It's silly.

Also, protip: Traders are broken.

Well, the RO production will be fixed when the combat revisions go in. My only question is what they're gonna do at that point to make traders still be competitive. If researchers and warlords don't need to trade to get RO, why the hell would they ever want to trade with a trader? Trader's will pretty much be left dead in the water until they manage to research tech to trade with enemies so that other players CAN'T refuse to trade with them, and they'll have to also research up to be able to build fleets to defend themselves at the same time. All while traders require a RIDICULOUS amount of ore to actually meet their win condition vs killing a few homeworlds as a warlord...

On a side note, is it possible to win with a victory condition from a different spec than you took? (Kill planets as a trader, trade enough ore as a warlord or researcher?)

And as I said in the other thread I started earlier today, doesn't matter if traders get so much more RO or CO than other players if you can only trade to win. I see exactly 0 possibility of actually being able to achieve the AMOUNT of ore you have to trade to actually win.

JetJaguar2000 - You are damn right how much time I have spent! In the first 10 days I probably logged in 100+ hours. I also have 155 planets. Did it come easy? No and no again! I play this game for the first time in my life. I had no idea how to play or what to do first when I started to play. I agree this game takes time. To think that one can win putting 10 minutes a day is nonsense. You cannot put this game on an autopilot. There is lot of decision to be made.
    I am not saying that life is perfect. I am not saying that this game is perfect. There are always losers (lots of them) and winners. I am not sure how tough life is for Warlord and how easy life is for Trader since I am Researcher
    Vander - I asked that question already. The dev said yes. You are a winner if you fulfill any winning condition.
    Last edited by SG7; 06-19-2012 at 02:25 AM.