Ninhursag - Ends Aug 1
    Ningal - Ends Aug 4
    Nisaha - Ends Aug 6
    Nanna - Ends Aug 9
    Utu -
    Apsu -
    Atargatis -
    Belitlli - Ends Aug 25

Hahaha, oh come on, someone just won Aruru? Literally an hour after I start building my first Solar Core Tap? Awesome.

Guys, this is silly, and sadly totally expected. Someone reaches the win condition with no warning and that's just it? Game Over?

I don't know if anyone else cares, but in a game where you have to wait patiently for a WEEK for something like Graviton Physics to finish researching, to have the game just end without any warning or anything is a real downer. What the heck was the point, then?

EDIT: Let me clarify what bothers me about this. Aruru (and probably any server) was big enough that it was entirely possible to play through the last month without ever encountering the eventual winner. Even if you had encountered that person, it's still entirely possible you'd have no idea that they were about to win. To have the win come out of nowhere is really disappointing, since there was no build up, no way to know it was coming, nothing you could do to prevent it. This means the vast majority of players are just going through the banality of managing their empires for a month with NO pay off whatsoever. I get that somebody has to be the winner, but this is silly.

I think there was a discussion a while back about adding leaderboards or something. I had suggested changes to foster "micro-competition" so that those of us who have no chance of winning outright can still feel some sense of accomplishment after investing a month+ in to the game. We've now seen the absurd reality come to pass, so I really hope you work on something like that very soon.
    Last edited by JetJaguar2000; 06-19-2012 at 04:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JetJaguar2000 View Post
    Hahaha, oh come on, someone just won Aruru? Literally an hour after I start building my first Solar Core Tap? Awesome.

Guys, this is silly, and sadly totally expected. Someone reaches the win condition with no warning and that's just it? Game Over?

I don't know if anyone else cares, but in a game where you have to wait patiently for a WEEK for something like Graviton Physics to finish researching, to have the game just end without any warning or anything is a real downer. What the heck was the point, then?

EDIT: Let me clarify what bothers me about this. Aruru (and probably any server) was big enough that it was entirely possible to play through the last month without ever encountering the eventual winner. Even if you had encountered that person, it's still entirely possible you'd have no idea that they were about to win. To have the win come out of nowhere is really disappointing, since there was no build up, no way to know it was coming, nothing you could do to prevent it. This means the vast majority of players are just going through the banality of managing their empires for a month with NO pay off whatsoever. I get that somebody has to be the winner, but this is silly.

I think there was a discussion a while back about adding leaderboards or something. I had suggested changes to foster "micro-competition" so that those of us who have no chance of winning outright can still feel some sense of accomplishment after investing a month+ in to the game. We've now seen the absurd reality come to pass, so I really hope you work on something like that very soon.
    Hey, you've got me beat. I'm about an hour away from finishing graviton physics :P

Quote Originally Posted by JetJaguar2000 View Post
    To have the win come out of nowhere is really disappointing, since there was no build up, no way to know it was coming, nothing you could do to prevent it.
    The win does not come from nowhere. Only few people could win the game. And you should know it well. I met them all…

For the sake of the argument what would you do knowing that that person is Raven, FINBit, SG7rex, Vander or Veri? What would you do in the last few days differently? Would you attack his well-guarded homeworld? Would you start destroying his outposts, or trading routs? If you are economically weak you stand no chance. If you are powerful the war is not always the best option...

Quote Originally Posted by SG7 View Post
    The win does not come from nowhere. Only few people could win the game. And you should know it well. I met them all…

For the sake of the argument what would you do knowing that that person is Raven, FINBit, SG7rex, Vander or Veri? What would you do in the last few days differently? Would you attack his well-guarded homeworld? Would you start destroying his outposts, or trading routs? If you are economically weak you stand no chance. If you are powerful the war is not always the best option...
    Exactly, which is why I'm starting to realize this game is way too half-baked to be fixed any time soon. I think I'm done for now.

And again, your experience means nothing to me. You've said you play 10 hours a day. I am NEVER going to play 10 hours a day. I only had any interaction with one or two other people on Aruru, all in my home sector, and I was playing some amount every day. So you tell me, how should I "know it well?"

The way the game is designed right now, it caters completely to the handful of obsessive players who are willing to play hours a day. I guess you guys find that kind of thing fun, sending out streams of colony ships as fast as possible, managing hundreds of planets, etc. I don't think that's fun. It's hardly even a game! It's just a race based on who is willing to be the most obsessive about it. If you don't play that way, you either quietly lose when one of these guys hits the win condition, or you get knocked out if some nerd-level player targets you (which just happened to me on Ningal). Either way, you have NOTHING to show for literally weeks of babysitting your empire.

I wish you would stop posting all your personal experiences as if they are representative. For every one person who plays like you, there are probably dozens that play like me, and we end up with squat, or just as fodder for some guy who is taking days off from work to move ships around. I'm just telling you, it's stupid, and lots of players will leave because of this.

I understand that you think the person who is most obsessive should win, and that's fine. The problem is, if this were some other MMO, I wouldn't care if you are spending hours of your day playing, because it wouldn't really effect me. But this is purely a PVP game. When people are playing like you, it is shutting out players like me, and it's annoying.

And maybe this is the expected way to play, but hell, this is an iPhone game! Nobody is going to come in to this expecting to have to spend every free second of their day managing their outpost ships.

While I understand the complaints about people who only play for a short time every day not standing a chance against someone who plays for hours a day, complaining about the win coming out of nowhere or having nothing to show for weeks of babysitting your empire make no sense at all. That's how the game is set up, you should have known that going in. It's a game with potentially over a thousand players, and at least over a hundred on every server I'm on, where only 1 person can win. It doesn't matter how far the game is in regards to play time, you'll still have nothing to show for it if you don't win, that should come as no surprise. I could understand wanting to at least see progress that other players are making so you have an idea if they're getting close to winning, but that won't change the fact that you'll have nothing to show for your work if you lose.

And the problem with changing it so that players who only play a few minutes a day have as good a chance at winning as those who are willing to devote hours is that it basically would require it being changed so you CAN'T play for hours at a time, you'd have to essentially artificially limit what you can do in a given amount of time. I HATE games that do that. If I've bought a game, I want to be able to play it as much as I want. And a game that won't let me play more than 10 minutes a day or something is one that I'm quite simply just not going to play.

^ Very well put Vander. And sorry Jet about the dismissal from Ningal. Oh, and I haven't taken any time off work for this game or for that coordinated strike against you. Hell, I did that while tending a brushfire. This is the type of game where you can do that, which is why I love it so much. And I'm totally with Vander on the fact that if I buy a game, I want to be able to play as much as I like. You limit me, I'm out. And I completely disagree with you that you HAVE to play this game 100 hours a week to be successful. If you were smart about your defenses, your HW and Colony planets wouldn't have been easy pickings. I only lost 63 battleships taking your Homeworld. Next time you play, I suggest loading up your Colonies and HW with multiple Orbital Defense Systems, ESPECIALLY if you don't plan on playing very often throughout the day.

On Irkalla I might sign in once every 4 days, just to make sure my Research Queue is still operating properly. Yes, I've lost a bunch of outposts because of it, but my core worlds are fine and I'm just waiting for Interstellar Commerce to finishing researching.

It's all about how you approach the game and what you expect to get out of it. If you expect to win, you and a lot of other people are going to be sorely disappointed. If you're playing because you enjoy this type of game, you're going to be happy no matter what happens.

In my post, and previously, I mention adding features that support "micro-competition" within the broader "there-can-be-only-one" game winning competition. Leaderboards would be the simplest, most uninteresting example. Of course I know going in that I'm not going to win the whole thing, but if there were leaderboards I could at least measure my results against my friends (or enemies, or neighbors) and have some feeling of "well, at least I beat that guy this time." You said it yourself, it's a game of hundreds of players. Does it seem at all reasonable or fun that one guy gets a "Congratulations, you win!" message, and 149 just get "You lose, try again next time!" after 2 MONTHS of playing?

Another dead simple example would be to have a large number of "awards" handed out at the end of the game, hopefully designed in such a way that the game winner doesn't get all of them. Even stuff like "Built Most Small Harvesters Award: JetJaguar2000!" would give me something to smile about at the end of it all.

As to your point about artificially limiting game play time, it's not an artificial limit if that's how the game works. If you refuse to play games that you can't spend hours on at a time, that's another issue. I think they could change the mechanics in a variety of ways that make the game slightly more "turn based" on top of the fundamentally realtime gameplay. There are also enough games being launched that if you somehow ran out of stuff to do in one game, there are plenty more to keep you busy.

I'm a total achievement whore, so if you give me medals or achievements, all the better! I'm definitely into the idea of getting rewards (even just digital symbols on this forum!) hell, add a special chime like the Xbox "Achievement Unlocked" and I'll be even more hooked that I already am.

I know they're actively working on a better combat mode. Apparently all combat will play out over a timespan of 30 minutes. So it will no longer be instantaneous and people will be able to call out for reinforcements or help or retreat. I'm sure you'll get a lot of what you're hoping to get. I know they have pretty much solved the land grab issue with some kind of orbital that limits the amount of planets you can control at one time. So upgrading that will be necessary in order to build more colonies or outposts. (not sure about outposts)

Oh and there sort of is a basic "Leaderboard" in each server. Clicking on someone's name in the War status portion of the game and clicking on "Details" gives you their score in that server. (usualy delayed). compare to your score by doing the same thing and you can judge how well or poorly you are doing.