Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Current Active Servers

What am I missing? Why are people congratulating someone for winning? Why is the win listed here as "pending"? Are there judges who have to review, it's not automated? Why is the Aruru server still active and gameplay continues like normal if someone has already won? Will we only know who wins and when the game is over by coming to the forums? What if we prefer to have a spoiler alert? Man, I have never had so many questions about a game in my life, lol. (At least Magic 2013 was released for iPad today so that's one game I can play where I know what I'm doing, heh.)

Regarding the winner - let us wait for an official announcement.
    Win pending is a normal warning spoiler. For example: if one got 5 artifacts they have to be held for 24 hours. If someone kills enough home worlds they have to be held for 24 hours. Since any type of win is allowed:
    http://www.zarksoft.com/cms/showthre...ght=conditions
    24 hours pending win is perfectly fine announcement in this game.
    Last edited by SG7; 06-20-2012 at 05:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JetJaguar2000 View Post

The game right now is not a game. It's purely a race to see who can build a colony-killing fleet first. There are no interesting strategic or tactical decisions that lead up to this outcome, it is entirely about claiming as many worlds as possible, which means meticulously ordering probes and outpost ships around, which is boring and caters to the guy willing to sit there and do that.
    Im with you. Nothing interesting happens. Just building a big fleet researching an claiming homeworlds. got 2 in mammetum and owning most of the sector. now im just waiting for research to finish. no interaction with other players. empty channels. its getting boring after one month as nothing really happens. maybe ill try another server but i will not buy another month this time. ill give it another try in some months

Quote Originally Posted by JetJaguar2000 View Post
    The game right now is not a game. It's purely a race to see who can build a colony-killing fleet first. There are no interesting strategic or tactical decisions that lead up to this outcome, it is entirely about claiming as many worlds as possible, which means meticulously ordering probes and outpost ships around, which is boring and caters to the guy willing to sit there and do that.
    Once again, I am willing to concede that maybe this game is not for me
    That is very simplistic, shallow and ultimately false view of the game. The game is a race for win but not who can build a colony-killing fleet first. Limited resources, limited number of objects which one can build force smart player to optimize his decisions along the path to the victory. Just building a colony-killing fleet will not guarantee you the win. Do you have to use probes? Yes! Should you expand if you can? Yes!
    Is that boring? Is working 8 hours per day boring? Is driving the same car for 5 years boring? Is raising your children for 18 years boring? Is having same parents for 50 years boring? It may be… for some people but not for all.

Quote Originally Posted by SG7 View Post
    That is very simplistic, shallow and ultimately false view of the game. The game is a race for win but not who can build a colony-killing fleet first. Limited resources, limited number of objects which one can build force smart player to optimize his decisions along the path to the victory. Just building a colony-killing fleet will not guarantee you the win. Do you have to use probes? Yes! Should you expand if you can? Yes!
    Is that boring? Is working 8 hours per day boring? Is driving the same car for 5 years boring? Is raising your children for 18 years boring? Is having same parents for 50 years boring? It may be… for some people but not for all.
    Well said! And true.

This is the last statement I'm going to make about the game here:

I think your view of the game is distorted by the amount of time you have put in to it. Like ChickenHawk, you have invented a narrative about how the game plays that is far more nuanced than the game itself.

You are practically making my argument for me. Because of the timed nature of everything you can do in the game, you can more or less plan out your entire strategy before the game even starts. The only variables introduced by the game itself are your initial proximity to resources, which arguably just averages out over the course of a game, and whether you start near one of the other aggressive players. The latter is rendered pretty meaningless too, because of the "winner take all" nature of combat and colony killing. Either you build the bigger fleet and you win, or they do and they win.

I doubt there has been any protracted wars between the "serious" players. I think you guys play with this mentality of avoiding all conflicts you aren't guaranteed to win, on the basis of "mutually assured destruction." I think you would argue that there isn't actually anything worth fighting for in the game; the trick, as Raven posted all those weeks ago, is to just claim as much space as possible without pissing any other "serious" players off. The clueless chaff, like myself, you can just steamroll in to oblivion. I know that I have evidently wasted time in pointless battles when I should have just been looking for more empty systems.

Anyways, again, I concede that this game might not be for me. The experience is so homogenous that it becomes frankly boring. There are not enough interesting variables. It's like playing a spreadsheet. I think you will find that most players will come to the same conclusions. We're one month in, and the game has already been "min/maxed" by you and a handful of others. I really think most people are not interested in playing like that, but time will tell.

The win is pending because I messed up the server. Due to other issues, a file was damaged and I rebuilt it incorrectly. As a result the criteria for winning were invalid for the given system, and could not be satisfied. I have since corrected the file, but due to the previous error the server is stuck with two different sets of criteria, so it recognizes neither. Hopefully I will be able to resolve it soon.

Quote Originally Posted by catswift View Post
    You missed Mammetum.
    Arrggh. Thanks

We are working on a server ranking list. Although I will be the first to admit coming out of the gate it was our main focus, but as with all things sometimes focus changes.

I'll be the first to take the hit for the notification system issues. We just had other things we ended up focusing on for priorities. The biggest was an overhaul on the game mechanics. Getting the game balanced and solid is our #1 priority, and if we have to give away free play time to get all that sorted that's what we'll do.

Hind sight is 20:20, and while I am sure we wish we could go back in time and do things differently we certainly would have taken a few different roads, but alas we are here. Some of the ship types didn't balance out like we thought they would, nor did some of the ore collections. We had no idea some of the game would be as unbalanced as it is. It's tough to make those discoveries when you only have 100 keys to hand out and then only get 20 people that even log in and play. While things might seem okay, they will never compare to having 100+ people in a single game.

We have no intention of wanting anyone to feel jaded or robbed, and that's why I'll tell you now all accounts will continue to get free time till we make it right. Obviously it's in our best interests to make sure we get there if we want to start making money. See my post about coming changes and what the plans are. Your input is very important to us. Now is the time to get some of your feedback and thoughts in before we lock in design and changes. Be sure to read the post : http://www.zarksoft.com/cms/showthre...ghts-For-1-0-8

I would like to add that I've had over 500,000 in under a week as a warlord jet... lol. Also who needs to spend 10 hours a day? Your I device has a built in timer/ alarm system, just take a few sec to set one, log back in and in a min or less ever couple hours you can advance rapidly without much effort.