Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Future changes and thoughts... For 1.0.8

I am starting to think the Researcher victory condition is too easy. By the time you've ranked up the skill tree, you have all the resources you need to build Solar Core Taps and collapsing 12 suns doesn't seem too difficult compared to destroying homeworlds (Warlord) and collecting a huge amount of resources (Trader). This may be something you want to look into.

Yes especially given that if you own 12 systems then the 24hr counter for the black hole to form is a moot point. Maybe make it some how so that it has to be suns with HW systems in them?

Or reminicent of EVE, yes I used to play, a black hole event could trigger an emergency notification for "X" amount of sectors, there by giving people/allainces a chance to shut it down.

Quote Originally Posted by ravenzachary View Post
    I am starting to think the Researcher victory condition is too easy. By the time you've ranked up the skill tree, you have all the resources you need to build Solar Core Taps and collapsing 12 suns doesn't seem too difficult compared to destroying homeworlds (Warlord) and collecting a huge amount of resources (Trader). This may be something you want to look into.
    Yah, I made a post about this in the Tech Support forum. Warlord is the only victory condition where the requirements change depending how many players there are. On the whole, if people defend their homeworlds destroying 12 stars will be FAR easier to do than killing a bunch of homeworlds, and the trader victory is all but impossible as far as I can tell, especially on a small server (such as Atargatis which only has 31 players).

Quote Originally Posted by Marked View Post
    Or reminicent of EVE, yes I used to play, a black hole event could trigger an emergency notification for "X" amount of sectors, there by giving people/allainces a chance to shut it down.
    I like this idea. As it stands, if you just kill your own stars like you said, the only way anyone will ever know is if they are actively and fairly regularly checking all the nearby stars to see if anyone is doing so. If you got a warning that it was being done nearby that would make it far easier to fight against a researcher.

Quote Originally Posted by zarkwizard View Post
    JetJaguar2000 : You bring up good points.
    2 - How would people encounter a black hole? If you are warping along and go past a hidden black hole does the black hole expose and you lose your ship, or are they visible and destroy everything passing by in a given radius?
    One possibility for this would be to have the black hole just show up as a star until you discover what it actually is. Maybe you use Gravity based sensors to see where the stars are that you haven't explored yet so black holes just appear as stars because of it (large gravity field)? Then, it could eithe rwork similar to how it does now where you lose the ship and get a notification that it died there due to an anomaly, and you don't actually SEE the black hole until you have hyperspace physics, or else once you end a ship there and lose it the black hole now shows as what it is and you have to route everything around the system until you get HP.

The game currently keeps track of your "Technology Level" in the background. This is basically a calculated value based on skills you have learned and acquired. Perhaps we should move this value to the front so it's visible and give you the ability to detect black holes better.

Some thoughts on Alliances.. We were thinking of setting up alliances that will allow for a "Leader" that can invite people in to the alliance (maybe have a cap on an Alliance size). This is a Cross Server alliance. You would have a cross server chat room that is shared by the alliance. When you are playing a game and you look at the player listings you would see another tab added to the screen which is called Alliance. This screen would show all players in the Alliance, and it would list at the top the people in your Alliance in your current game.

Everything in the Alliance would be sharable. ie, you would be able to terraform Alliance Planets, use alliance jump gates, and jump through their space like it was yours. You also share all your visible space. What that means is you will be able to look at anything going on in any of their sectors.

Thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by Marked View Post
    Awesome glad to hear it. I tell you one thing you all have nailed down and that is talking and making your players and fans feel that they are important and part of the game. Very few companies can do that and I for one thank you.

Any idea when you expect 1.0.8 to roll out?
    There will probably be a couple of updates.. We have 2 things going on. The current server doesn't support some of the bigger changes we want to make, so we are building a new server from the ground up. We have brought in a few people to accelerate the process. It will probably be near the end of August.

Some changes like Combat, and a few other smaller things will be going in over the next month or so. We are still working on tweaking the combat numbers through the simulators trying to make sure we get everything spot on. As soon as we have an official release plan we'll let you guys know.

We are also keeping an eye on feed back from the games that finish to determine if we need to tweak anything else along the way.

Now is the time to give feed back. Since a new server is being designed we want, and need to take big functionality changes in to account while we are in design phase. We are even looking at a way to make a persistent game with a cap on skill points, but that's a future thing.

All of this is part of the reason you don't see us posting a ton. We are trying to read the forums, but we are mainly focused on getting things fixed. We will be setting all players to free mode for now till we get everything completed. So anyone that bought the game won't have to purchase another month, till we feel, and you feel the game is right.
    Last edited by zarkwizard; 06-27-2012 at 06:53 PM.

I really like the idea on the alliance portion. However, in the endgame, what really is the point of an alliance? I'd kind of like to see it the way it is now (in the sense that you can't really see what the player is doing behind the scenes.) They can still plan and prepare for the inevitable split and insueing race to the finish. If all players can see what's going on in their members territory, there would be no way (that I can think of at the moment) of stabbing one another in the back. A setup like that would be great if the Alliance itself could win the game, but if it's still "Highlander-esque" than I'm not sure it will work. Make sense? Or did I just ramble?

I for one completely understand your lack of communication, and have stated as much earlier. Though I also understand the other side's frustrations when it comes to server issues/notices and especially current victory conditions. Maybe make it a little easier on all of you developers and post a few stickies about victory conditions on current servers and maybe some kind of auto updating server notice. As it stands now, Tsagoth must physically type each Server update notice. If the Watchdog can automatically fix server issues, there must be something like that for a forum/server notification system. Just my .02 cents.

It's not so much about the single win condition. That will bring a server to it's end, but everyone gets a score, and ranking. Those numbers will allow for "top alliances", and "top player" listings. The one thing we have been tossing around is if their would be a cap on how many members an alliance can have.

The other thing we have talked about is having alliance competition servers where it's alliances only. The new server designs will allow for more flexibility than the current system allows.

We have someone working on a server notification system that would allow us to update a list of available servers on the web, and their current status. We have an outside person working on that, so hopefully we'll have something in place soon.

From the dev chat last night we are looking at the following going in on the current servers:

- New Combat (includes reports)
    - PCC (Planetary Control Centers)
    - Rest of Push
    - Observer changes (probably - This will allow you to see everything in the sector when you have a ship there, and only the planets when you don't)

Most of the other things discussed in this thread are being worked in to a new server design. We will keep extending "free" months till we get everything sorted out. We want to make sure you guys get a game you feel happy with before we continue to do anything with the charges.