Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Future changes and thoughts... For 1.0.8

Big fan of the alliances setup. Wouldn't need to be cross server, maybe you want to challenge your buddy on the next server, would we have a way to opt out of the alliance for particular servers? Oh persistent servers is very very cool sounding. Would need to change speed of the game, let people join server any time, lots of different things, but it's a cool idea.

For persistent servers we have thought about doing something like UO did. Where you have a skill point cap. Once you reach that cap you can't learn anything else. You would then be allowed to "drop skills", but if you dropped something like say Super Cap you would end up having all your super caps destroyed. Every skill would have a points weight (they actually do now) and as you learn more skills it would increase your points. We would put the points numbers on the skills if we were going to do that as well so people know how many points they are spending on a specific skill as well.

We would probably go for much larger universes as well. For example there would be one more level of the galaxy map that would actually represent other galaxies, so you would be able to expand across galaxies. We would probably bring back wormholes that may link to different galaxies.. We have some stuff thought out and going in to the new server designs, but nothing is firm yet.

I would love the persistent server once we get things with the standard server figured out. As we come close to the end of Ningal server I've been thinking about what I have liked and what would be better changed. I've been wondering what problems would it cause if we didn't have classes just various victory conditions? That way new players can come in get a feel for the game and steer themselves toward the game style they like instead of kinda not knowing what they are to expect with each profession. Just an idea. I think persistent servers it would be almost a must have to eliminate profession and just let people's decisions dictate the play style. If we make the galaxy larger, slow down the acquisition of planets and skills (just to a point, not stale and boring but not populate the galaxy in under say like 3 months at earliest), expand the number of skills and refine them to be very meaningful, maybe make more options available on outposts and planets we would have a real meaty persistent game. Maybe worth a seperate forum post on ideas for persistent, maybe not since we want to make the current server builds scalable for the persistent version. Really excited for the persistent version once we get stuff worked out with normal.

Just wanted to say goodjob so far on getting me hooked! Been looking for a good iPhone MMO for ages.
    Only one managed to get me hooked so far and that was -KingdomConquest-. Even though it has IAP, you
    don't really gain that much more of an advantage.

Just wanted to suggest that if you do decide to enable alliance, maybe add an alliance forum/bulletin board in game.
    Cos most people would log on at diff times so it would be handy to leave important notes for everyone to see.
    Just my thoughts anyway. Keep up the good work!

P.S. Kindly move the question mark icon else where please. Maybe put it under the settings menu. It is a major boner killer. But if/once you guys patch in a native backgrounder, then I guess it wouldn't be so bad.
    Last edited by Enforc3r; 06-29-2012 at 11:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by zarkwizard View Post
    For persistent servers we have thought about doing something like UO did. Where you have a skill point cap. Once you reach that cap you can't learn anything else. You would then be allowed to "drop skills", but if you dropped something like say Super Cap you would end up having all your super caps destroyed. Every skill would have a points weight (they actually do now) and as you learn more skills it would increase your points. We would put the points numbers on the skills if we were going to do that as well so people know how many points they are spending on a specific skill as well.

We would probably go for much larger universes as well. For example there would be one more level of the galaxy map that would actually represent other galaxies, so you would be able to expand across galaxies. We would probably bring back wormholes that may link to different galaxies.. We have some stuff thought out and going in to the new server designs, but nothing is firm yet.
    Here is something that came to mind that you might be able to incorporate. White Holes. Never used in any game that I know of and not well known. Basically a reverse Black Hole. Thought it could be used for your cross universe ideas and you could limit usage by needing a top level skill to be able to navigate Black Holes and White Holes

Here is a partial quote from Wikipedia on the subject. Basically the same as a wormhole in a way, but a little more unique.

There are theories suggesting that white holes create new universes from matter originating in another universe's black hole.[8]

A more recently proposed view of black holes might be interpreted as shedding some light on the nature of classical white holes. Some researchers have proposed that when a black hole forms, a big bang occurs at the core, which creates a new universe that expands outside of the parent universe.[9][10] See also Fecund universes.

The initial feeding of matter from the parent universe's black hole and the expansion that follows in the new universe might be thought of as a cosmological type of white hole. Unlike traditional white holes, this type of white hole would not be localized in space in the new universe, and its horizon would have to be identified with the cosmological horizon.[citation needed]

Expanding a little more on this. If you read more on wiki. One theory suggests that both can exist simultaneously in both universes. This could provide a unique game experience. You could separate skills for both. Black holes will suck you in and destroy ships until black hole physics reaches a certain level. At that point It would transport your ships to the other universe. The same would be said for white holes. Initially destroying ships with tidal forces Then white holes could throw ships away. Throwing them across the same universe since it is an outgoing hole until tech and understanding increase allowing them to be visible and the ships getting protection. At some point it would get interesting because when navigation for one is discovered it would only be a one way trip until navigation is researched for the other to get back home
    Last edited by BAC33; 07-01-2012 at 09:05 PM.

Woah, first I've heard if that, but very cool.

Just realized I had lost like 20 or 30 outposts before I even noticed because the game didnt have the courtesy to send me so much as an in game notice that my ships and outposts were being attacked.

Good day to you all, I shant be playing again.

As a player who likes to try different strategies, I would feel more comfortable if I could use a different name each game. I worry about players I've attacked (or even betrayed) in one game having a vendetta out for me in future games because they assume I will be agressive again. Some times I like to play a trustworthy Trader ally. Other times I want to be a cuthroat Warlord. But I know that I'll be forever carry a mark once enough players associate my name with something bad from a game long over.

Quote Originally Posted by Skeith27 View Post
    As a player who likes to try different strategies, I would feel more comfortable if I could use a different name each game. I worry about players I've attacked (or even betrayed) in one game having a vendetta out for me in future games because they assume I will be agressive again. Some times I like to play a trustworthy Trader ally. Other times I want to be a cuthroat Warlord. But I know that I'll be forever carry a mark once enough players associate my name with something bad from a game long over.
    Excellent. This is something I hadn't even thought about yet, but I second this idea

Especially since I am almost the only person using a lame example for a name.

Quote Originally Posted by Skeith27 View Post
    Not currently possible with the existing accounting setup. However I will be revisiting the account server soon because we need to get off the crappy db engine it uses, so I will see if this is something we can do.