Thread: Hyperspace Gates and Resource Transport

Hyperspace Gates and Resource Transport

I'm playing around on Nergal trying to learn. I've recently built two hyperspace gates on opposite ends of a single galaxy. I'm trying to transport resources from one hub planet to my home world. I have built a cargo ship and established a route between the two planets ( destination and source planets ). But I believe the cargo ship is traversing this route sector by sector.

Can anyone confirm that gate travel is not prioritized?

Am I setting up my route incorrectly?

You are correct. You can not set up trade routes or harvester routes via a jump gate.

Good to know. Things will probably be drastically different with the upcoming changes, but prioritizing speediest form of travel would be worth adding to the list.

I like the tutorial server. Learning a lot there.

I was curious if it's possible to load a transport, stop its harvesting run (with ore inside) and then send it on a regular transit through the gate, wherein it can pick up a different harvest route and deposit the ore. I think this highlights just how difficult it is to manually control how ore moves from one place to another, but was just a thought. The text only says harvesting routes can't go through the gates, not harvesters (carrying ore) on a transit route.

I was thinking the same thing. I was able to manually send the ship back and forth through the gate, but I don't see any way to manually load and unload resources. I think it's all automatically done when you set up a route.

Oops, missed your idea in the first sentence. Even if you could catch it fully loaded, I don't know how you would unload it. I'm not sure what would happen if it was already loaded
    Last edited by BAC33; 07-04-2012 at 12:54 AM.

^ Yeah, I'm not sure what would happen either. I'm under the impression that any ore the harvester has when the route is canceled is lost.

There isn't currently a way to use jumpgates in trading/harvesting. That was by choice. Since the mechanics use distance traveled as the value of the goods using a jump gate would cause the system to give you a pay out for longer routes than you actually might have done.

We are working on a new server and will allow you to choose if you want to use jumps as a mode of travel when trading, but keep in mind values will be adjusted accordingly.

Ah,, I didn't think about the distance bonus for trading.

Now that you mention it though. How does matter transporters effect trade? I have yet to get that far.

Quote Originally Posted by BAC33 View Post
    Ah,, I didn't think about the distance bonus for trading.

Now that you mention it though. How does matter transporters effect trade? I have yet to get that far.
    Matter Transmitters allow the person who has it to utilize all the resources on the planets with the transmitters. One must assume though, that each planet's individual resource allotment stays the same. And that's how trade is calculated.
    Last edited by ChickenHawk07; 07-06-2012 at 12:44 PM.