Quote Originally Posted by Royce View Post
I'm not sure how else to make sense of target# as a stat other than a representation of the object's number of firing points. If you have any suggestions for another way to wrap my head around it, I'd be happy to hear it so maybe this wouldn't bother me so much I realize this is a sci fi video game, and not an interactive documentary. I don't expect realism of any sort, but a certain degree of logic would be nice. If an orbital contains an array of weapons, it should be able to fire on multiple targets. A capital class ship, not designed specifically as a planet killer, like a dreadnought, should be able to fend off groups of small ships in addition to battling with other large ones, maybe not as effectively as it attacks large ships, but to only allow it to attack one target just makes no sense to me. I guess ultimately I think a ship like a dreadnought should have multiple attack types, one low attack, high target# and one high attack, low target# (possibly with different ship class targeting priorities). Anyway, I realize you are trying not to get too complex, and you're gonna do things the way you want to in the end. I would just urge you to consider making this a little more logical. And that's my last two cents on the matter
What might be easier than having two different weapons or attack types to deal with capital ships vs fighters would be to have the same high damage attack it has now, make it multiple targets, but only able to target one capital+ ship at a time, and take penalties for attacks against smaller ships, or maybe only able to target fighters/destroyers outside of the 1 big attack. Then just make the penalty against fighters a large one, would have the same effect as a second attack with different damage.