Thread: Combat Revisions

Hybrid View

In the current system there are specific modifiers, in the new system I've tried to set things up so that all the ships have different strengths based on their stats that make them more or less useful in various situations but they don't have any additional modifiers against specific unit types.

One of the things I would like to see added is some ability to be notified of incoming attacks and have time to respond to them. This could take the form of a heads up whenever a fleet of a player you were at war with was dispatched towards a system you had forces in. That would allow me to at least meet an incoming invasion force with my ships by reallocating / building forces to counter them.

Another complementary option would be having combat take some predetermined length of time, say 30 minutes per round. Then the attacker can still surprise me, but if my planet doesn't fall immediately I can move forces from elsewhere to respond to the attack. This has the added effect of making warp speed increasing technologies far more interesting, though they would need an order of magnitude adjustment to be really cool.

I just don't think the idea of having to station large fleets at each planet you want to protect, and never move them, is much fun. Orbitals defend at a discount, so that's at least freeing me up a little bit to cover myself and still go on the attack, but I think wars and combat would be far more interesting if I could respond to attacks to defeat them, rather than just counterattack afterwards.