Thread: Combat Revisions

Hybrid View

Royce - The thing is there are a lot of good options for defending your planets / outposts. Thing of building an outpost / colony like building a city or mining facility in real life. By default they don't really come with weapons. If you want there to be more than one turret per planet early on you can do that with mines / energy arrays / missile platforms, etc.

Similarly Colony ships / Outpost ships are more civilian ships imo. If you want them to have greater defense at all times you can fleet them up with some destroyers or some other offensive ship.

I do agree about the starting defense of colonies at least being the same as an outpost though so that's been corrected.

Catswift - Yeah, my RO multiplier was off - should be corrected now. The Trader / Warlord / Researcher balance over all is a separate issue that we'll need to address. The main goal here is to make sure that all the ships are balanced in terms of their strengths / weakness in addition to relative costs.

Quote Originally Posted by Leedot View Post
    Royce - The thing is there are a lot of good options for defending your planets / outposts. Thing of building an outpost / colony like building a city or mining facility in real life. By default they don't really come with weapons. If you want there to be more than one turret per planet early on you can do that with mines / energy arrays / missile platforms, etc.
    Not a good comparison IMO. A city is not a solitary entity like a planet. Every city built has powerful defense from the start if it is within the borders of a nation with a military. A planet invested in a by an empire existing in a universe where many empires vie for resources would most certainly equip such an investment with at least some defensive capability.

Similarly Colony ships / Outpost ships are more civilian ships imo. If you want them to have greater defense at all times you can fleet them up with some destroyers or some other offensive ship.
    I guess my problem is I want things to not only be balanced, but to also make sense. To me the #targets should be largely a factor of size, further influenced by ship purpose (battle, transport, etc.). A large ship (the colony ship appears to be a small planet with a gargantuan ship built around it) would likely have way more than 1 point of fire. It may not have powerful guns, but I guarantee an enormous ship would have more than one. Likewise, a planet would have to have multiple points to attack from on all sides.

I feel like planets and very large civilian and other non-warships need higher targets but should have low initiative and low to moderate attack. I also think the cruiser, dreadnought and energy array (currently an array of 1 gun), need more targets, but whatever, I guess I'm the only one who finds the current numbers very odd